Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111393 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13140 on: May 08, 2011, 08:17:00 am »

Goblin ambush.
They were quickly perforated.

A huge feathered darkling beetle titan arrived.
Time to die, foul beast.

GODDAMMIT!
My militia commander dodged into the fucking water.
He died.
At least another axedwarf took on the titan singlehandedly.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 08:24:52 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13141 on: May 08, 2011, 08:27:16 am »

Latest werewolf invasion was pretty sizeable. Sent out two squads to deal with it, three dead, several wounded.
My High Beast confronted two on the narrow bridge, killed one and then fell off when battling with the other. He didn't fall the entire way down luckily, but he needs to be brought to hospital pretty badly. At least he's down there with some company... at least two other soldiers were knocked off or dodged off.

There were several caravans  that came just before the siege. One was a nord, there's now a named spearman among the wounded on the battlefield. He was pretty impressive, killed his fair share. I would like to bring him to my hospital and treat him, he's earned it. I don't think the game mechanics will do that though :(

Several more titled people. My Great Hoard Beast died, he went down with sword in hand, hacking off bits of werewolf. Even in damaged state he dragged himself forward to meet, alone, the last squad of enemies. I think he bled out before they reached him though.

The Low Gore, Bepa, once again proved herself to be an utter badass. Swinging around with her masterwork black steel great sword she's following in the footsteps of her predecessor. he came out with nothing but a bruised upper arm despite wading into crowds of werewolves.

Even more impressive was the Iron Bardiche wielding Ngusulu (or something like that), who had now racked up twenty eight kills over roughly two years without getting at all damaged. I think he's grown attached to thge weapon, he can keep it if he's so brilliant with it. I imagine him like a whirlwind in the midst of all these enemies whirling he thing around - sure were enough limbs flying off to justify it. 

Good times, despite the massive frame-rate drop from 40 to 5, although having to calculate roughly a hundred or more combatants at once probably takes a fair toll...

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13142 on: May 08, 2011, 09:08:21 am »

A snow colossus FB came along.
I sent a dude with an artifact bone hammer after it.
That was easy.

SUDDENLY GOBBO SIEGE.
As a result of danger room training, some of my axedwarves were able to handle the goblins.
It was awesome.

An eight legged quadruped made of charcoal decided to come along.
It was easily beaten.
The one who slayed the FB named her axe.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:23:40 am by jaxy15 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13143 on: May 08, 2011, 11:48:20 am »

embarked on new tundra location(for the challenge of a cold climate fort), ran dfprospector....3,413,850 units of slade?! whaaaa?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13144 on: May 08, 2011, 01:03:19 pm »

Both my legendary furnace operators, who were heading my current megaproject (30 z-level tall statue/bridge supports) decided to go outside to remove some stone floor tiles, instead of leaving it to the army of children I have for just that purpose. Both of them managed to piss off a camel who was wandering up the spiral ramp above the frozen river; one got kicked off to break three of his limbs and his liver, while the other got away with two broken toes and some bruising. Steel production has completely halted while they're hospitalized; platinum and gold are still crawling thanks to the armorer who was shanghai'd into service. Burrows are being designated immediately.

EDIT: While they're laid up, the masons have been put to work completing the access floors for the rest of the statues. It's slow work, but necessary.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 02:22:16 pm by CapnUrist »
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13145 on: May 08, 2011, 03:10:34 pm »

I just got a FB bone bed artifact.
It's radical name is "Nailtrail".

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13146 on: May 08, 2011, 03:17:35 pm »

Does it have spikes of iron?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13147 on: May 08, 2011, 03:17:59 pm »

No, it uses gold instead of iron.

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13148 on: May 08, 2011, 03:24:22 pm »

I approve.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13149 on: May 08, 2011, 04:00:27 pm »

After decades lacking any real combat, a giantess finally arrived at my fort.

I sent my marksman and melee squads to their appropriate positions, but the thing was perforated by the very first trap in my line before falling presumable face-first into a cage trap.

It bled to death in there as my now bloodthirsty dwarves took their rage out on an approaching elven caravan.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13150 on: May 08, 2011, 04:14:09 pm »

While I was cleaning up the goblin and tigerman gibs from the last couple of sieges, a master thief popped up and severed the motor nerves in the legs of one of my haulers. My legendary miner/mason/engraver carried her back to bed, but in any other version this would already be a death sentence.

Instead, I watched as my Chief Doctor diagnosed the hauler, then walked over the bags in the hospital, took out a crutch, and gave it to her. The hauler stumbled away, returning to her job, slowly adapting to her new life. It gave me a fuzzy feeling inside.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13151 on: May 08, 2011, 04:27:51 pm »

While I was cleaning up the goblin and tigerman gibs from the last couple of sieges, a master thief popped up and severed the motor nerves in the legs of one of my haulers. My legendary miner/mason/engraver carried her back to bed, but in any other version this would already be a death sentence.

Instead, I watched as my Chief Doctor diagnosed the hauler, then walked over the bags in the hospital, took out a crutch, and gave it to her. The hauler stumbled away, returning to her job, slowly adapting to her new life. It gave me a fuzzy feeling inside.
Doesn't it? I always feel like I'm witnessing a miracle from Jesus Christ himself every time a cripple gets their crutch.  :D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13152 on: May 08, 2011, 05:34:05 pm »

A Goblin Siege of Giant Rat riding Lashers, Giant Rat riding swordsmen and a herd of Blizzard Men; they took out the Elf caravan arriving at the fort. Archery towers and two fairly well trained squads of melee dorfs sorted it right out.

The plunder from the caravan is filling my storerooms right now.

Just built a Atom-Smasher to deal with all the goblin corpses that keep being put in stockpiles.

I wish the dorfs would use the goblin bone for bolts etc - shoot their vile dead friends back at them in combat :)

Rhas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13153 on: May 08, 2011, 09:08:09 pm »

One of my legendary speardwarves died with a hammer through his brain, while heroically protecting 10+ masons that were working on my fortress wall at the Time.

His oldest and best friend (They were good friends for more than 7 years) Then went completely apeshit, entered a martial trance and charged 7 bow-, a dozen hammergoblins and some trolls. Blood was flying everywhere (up to 8 tiles. Not so bad for a spear user) and after a frantic 20 seconds, 4 lone Goblins scampered off the map border. A slight bruise on the upper arm for the dwarf.

Recovered the fallen one and built him a mausoleum.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13154 on: May 08, 2011, 09:15:07 pm »

Greenskin siege went pear shaped. 2 in a row, goblins, and then right when they started fleeing orcs showed up.  While they were repelled a number of military members were badly wounded, and I had more deaths in one attack than the entire history of the fortress.  Many are unhappy.  Especially the baron and baroness, the baroness having used up all her babby shields in combat.

But there were some pretty badass moments in the chaos, mostly from my hunters surprisingly.  Like the lone hunter that didn't quite make it into the gate in time who headshot 3 goblins in a row with 3 bolts before getting pushed into the volcano under the gate.  And the heavily scarred veteran hunter that encountered a goblin that had broken past the front line and was running through the halls toward the undefended meeting hall.  I just imagined him saying some one liner in a thick Louisiana accent before siccing his half a dozen hunting dogs on the goblin and setting his crossbow to martial trance full auto tearing the goblin apart.  Or the siege engineer who fired a silver tipped ballissta arrow that tore a swath straight through the middle of a squad of orcs and cave crawlers.

This here is what I love about this game.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 3842