Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113017 times)

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12345 on: April 07, 2011, 02:55:13 am »

Welp, I got ambushed by goblins shortly after the last of the elven caravan was cleaned up, and...ugh. uuuugh. I hate all the things.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gonna build a ramp in every pool of water, now. I've never had this problem before. But then again, I've never had so much water before. The only partially good thing was that one badass dwarf killed a goblin underwater, but he was a dwarf I was trying not to lose (naming theme, left behind a wife, saving their daughter's name for, well, their daughter, but they had a son instead).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:56:52 am by A-chana »

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12346 on: April 07, 2011, 03:29:30 am »

I've been thinking for the last few weeks that my next fort will exist for the sole purpose of unleashing the circus into the world, writing it as a sort of apocalypse cult, without sacrificing cult members in the process.  My idea so far has been to construct a magnificent tube-shaped tower.  The demons eventually erupt from the inner hollow of the tube, while the cult lives safely and self-sufficiently inside the walls of the tube.

Edit:  Would be fun to make the entire thing out of glass, so everyone can watch the show.

Huh. I assumed you would make it out of the canvas you had to cut away to expose the circus, but I guess you wouldn't have enough to actually build living quarters out of it.

Yeah,  I think I took that metaphor too far.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #12347 on: April 07, 2011, 04:15:06 am »

Giant badgers!  :o

HORDES OF GIANT BADGERS!   :o :o

Thats it im walling myself in. TOO LATE, they're all ready in and now im walled in with giant badgers! Peasant draft! One of them gained name Netwig but passed out of exhaustion and was killed with wooden shield. 2 wounded 2 dead dorfs.

EDIT: 2 more deaths this time because of normal badgers. Stupid dorfs dodged to water...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:24:45 am by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12348 on: April 07, 2011, 05:22:06 am »

Life in Ironcrypts is harder than the brochure said it would be.

First, it's ice and snow all year round.  No crops grow outside, and I don't know how the trees survive. Or the grazing animals, but the rabbits seem happy at least.

Secondly, as if the farms weren't taking long enough, a werewolf goes and rips Sakzul's throat out, just before getting a pick through it's head.  There goes our farmer, and, more importantly, only brewer.

Things are looking up though - the magma smelters are starting to hum, although no-one seems to know where the anvil goes in a magma forge, and the refuse pile and the crafts stockpile got mixed up for a bit.  And we managed to buy all we wanted from the traders with one mica mug; although we had expected the jeweller to encrust several different crafts rather than putting 12 layers of gems on the same $%^& mug.

We've conscripted the children into hard work - one is forging and the other cutting gems.  Well, there are only 12 of us, and we can't afford unworking mouths.  Especially with the attempts at brewing these days.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12349 on: April 07, 2011, 09:03:48 am »

Currently constructing a third windmill to provide power to the second set of lift pumps to fill my moat. One set isn't going fast enough.

Just finished filling my well, wondering if I should repurpose the windmills there to run a few querns. Build them so that I only have to have one or the other running I think.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12350 on: April 07, 2011, 11:11:18 am »

::) After an ambush killed one of my only 6 adult female dwarves (playing with a pop cap of 7 so I only got the first two waves of migrants, and i got really unlucky with the gender distribution) I've assigned all my female dwarves to the 'inside' burrow. Mostly so their swarms of kiddies STAY IN THE FORT, mind... >.>

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12351 on: April 07, 2011, 11:30:53 am »

::) After an ambush killed one of my only 6 adult female dwarves (playing with a pop cap of 7 so I only got the first two waves of migrants, and i got really unlucky with the gender distribution) I've assigned all my female dwarves to the 'inside' burrow. Mostly so their swarms of kiddies STAY IN THE FORT, mind... >.>
Sexist powa!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12352 on: April 07, 2011, 11:33:20 am »

Sexist powa!
It's not my fault if the future of my fort rests on the children living to adulthood!

.. okay maybe it is, but feh. WE NEED DAYCARES >.<

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12353 on: April 07, 2011, 11:51:33 am »

I also tend to rely on dwarves born in the fort for my population after getting to 80 or so from migration, so I do similar things. Call it what you want, but I can't afford to be loosing the next generation in advance. The game changes when you don't get dwarves magically replaced as soon as they fall. It is an entirely pragmatic decision, not because I hate females. Though keeping them safe is an odd thing to do if you don't like them anyway.
Memento Mori

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12354 on: April 07, 2011, 11:53:11 am »

I just discovered that the first king of my civ was called Urist Machinedanger.

It's the little things in life that make you smile... :D
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12355 on: April 07, 2011, 12:20:58 pm »

I just discovered that the first king of my civ was called Urist Machinedanger.

It's the little things in life that make you smile... :D

Urist McHinedanger?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12356 on: April 07, 2011, 12:27:01 pm »

Building up my fortress to a whopping 300 dwarves before I bring it crashing down in the most awesome way I can think of.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12357 on: April 07, 2011, 12:51:08 pm »

The forgotten beast that died a few years ago is still claiming dwarves here and there. They get blisters all over and then just drop dead. I assume it's when they try to wash the deadly blood off. So now I've barricaded the well and we'll see who's got the pox.

A deadly dust spitting sloth showed up in a deep cave near the adamantine operation. Luckily the plateau he is stalking around on doesn't seem to be connected. The "deadly" means we'll give that sucker a wide berth until someone comes up with a plan.

This is the 32nd year of Silveryfloors and we're at 233 dwarves. The duke killed himself long ago and since then the dwarves have been a lot less fussy. The bronze colossus and dragon that showed up in the last years didn't impress. The age of legends has come to an end, but there are still some megabeasts that didn't get it. When this adamantine vein is hollowed out, we'll start looking for the others and dig to the bottom of this. There's got to be something that can challenge this military.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12358 on: April 07, 2011, 02:20:40 pm »

Jabberer spawned and killed two.
Then an axedwarf with a bronze scimitar killed it.
How the circus?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12359 on: April 07, 2011, 02:29:40 pm »

I started aboveground only fort (all buildings are on +1 and higher), without digging, danger room, drawbridges, walling inside and supplies. Ballista training started!
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 3842