Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113037 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12330 on: April 06, 2011, 08:08:25 pm »

I'm learning to fear pandas almost as much as badgers. Just after the first immigrant wave, one of my starting seven was mauled and killed by a panda that apparently took exception to him chopping down trees. Then, the first caravan was partially delayed when a gigantic panda charged in to attack one of the guards, ripping off one of his feet before retreating. Fortunately, they haven't stumbled into the fort itself yet, and they don't come in the same numbers as those badgers. I'm still wary, though.

Fuckin' pandas, man. They lull you into a false sense of security with their adorable antics, and once they gain your trust, BAM before you know what hit you you're lying face down choking on your own bloody feet.
Fixed for you.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12331 on: April 06, 2011, 08:22:10 pm »

:o

I think I just figured out a way to weaponize the HFS.

Okay, let me know if somebody's come up with this idea before: The previous incident in my fortress involving piles of dead dogs raining from the ceiling mad me realize that a cave in can breach floors below, if the tiles below them are empty. So I construct a section of floor held up by a support over the floors holding the demons underground. When shit gets bad, say, during a goblin seige, I flip the switch, the seal is broken, and demons come up to wipe out the goblins.

And after I've summoned the bigger fish, and it's done it's work, what do I do to stop them? I throw another lever, which drops a section of Wall from even higher up than the floor was. Bam, the opening is sealed off again.

This could be the single most awesome thing I have ever personally done in Dwarf Fortress.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12332 on: April 06, 2011, 08:23:39 pm »

Okay, let me know if somebody's come up with this idea before: The previous incident in my fortress involving piles of dead dogs raining from the ceiling mad me realize that a cave in can breach floors below, if the tiles below them are empty. So I construct a section of floor held up by a support over the floors holding the demons underground. When shit gets bad, say, during a goblin seige, I flip the switch, the seal is broken, and demons come up to wipe out the goblins.

And after I've summoned the bigger fish, and it's done it's work, what do I do to stop them? I throw another lever, which drops a section of Wall from even higher up than the floor was. Bam, the opening is sealed off again.

This could be the single most awesome thing I have ever personally done in Dwarf Fortress.

What do you do about the bigger fish already in your fortress?

tree-puncher423

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12333 on: April 06, 2011, 08:23:49 pm »

I'm learning to fear pandas almost as much as badgers. Just after the first immigrant wave, one of my starting seven was mauled and killed by a panda that apparently took exception to him chopping down trees. Then, the first caravan was partially delayed when a gigantic panda charged in to attack one of the guards, ripping off one of his feet before retreating. Fortunately, they haven't stumbled into the fort itself yet, and they don't come in the same numbers as those badgers. I'm still wary, though.

Fuckin' pandas, man. They lull you into a false sense of security with their adorable antics, and once they gain your trust, BAM before you know what hit you you're lying face down choking on your own blood.
urist ukoslavia cancles cut tree: too busy adoring the pandas.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12334 on: April 06, 2011, 08:24:18 pm »

Wouldn't the clowns be throwing a circus above ground at that point?

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12335 on: April 06, 2011, 08:29:10 pm »

As soon as I unleash the demons, I'll have walls built in the corridor just inside the fortress entrance. The Demons might wander off the map when they have no path to the fortress, as some subterranians do, but if they don't, I'll send my adamantine armed and armoured dwarfs to take them out. They're made of snow and salt, after all.

EDIT: According to the magmawiki, constructed walls deconstruct when falling, rather than form new walls at the bottom, like natural stone. So, unless anybody else could give me an idea, I would have no way of sealing the demons back in. Letting them out could only be a final act of defiance to whatever was attacking.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:41:17 pm by Samuel »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12336 on: April 06, 2011, 08:41:08 pm »

I've been thinking for the last few weeks that my next fort will exist for the sole purpose of unleashing the circus into the world, writing it as a sort of apocalypse cult, without sacrificing cult members in the process.  My idea so far has been to construct a magnificent tube-shaped tower.  The demons eventually erupt from the inner hollow of the tube, while the cult lives safely and self-sufficiently inside the walls of the tube.

Edit:  Would be fun to make the entire thing out of glass, so everyone can watch the show.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12337 on: April 06, 2011, 09:05:07 pm »

As soon as I unleash the demons, I'll have walls built in the corridor just inside the fortress entrance. The Demons might wander off the map when they have no path to the fortress, as some subterranians do, but if they don't, I'll send my adamantine armed and armoured dwarfs to take them out. They're made of snow and salt, after all.

EDIT: According to the magmawiki, constructed walls deconstruct when falling, rather than form new walls at the bottom, like natural stone. So, unless anybody else could give me an idea, I would have no way of sealing the demons back in. Letting them out could only be a final act of defiance to whatever was attacking.

Constructed walls deconstruct- you can make natural stone via obsidian casting, however. Then you get additional Rule of Cool to have an obsidian capped HFS.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12338 on: April 06, 2011, 09:08:36 pm »

Constructed walls deconstruct- you can make natural stone via obsidian casting, however. Then you get additional Rule of Cool to have an obsidian capped HFS.

That would require magma, yes? That's a bit of a problem, because all the magma on the map is beneath the caverns which are now filled with demons.

The magma itself is filled with demons, for that matter.

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12339 on: April 06, 2011, 09:46:18 pm »

I've just finished a few minor construction projects.

First off: defense. The fortress is nestled in the upper right corner of the map. In order to keep watch over the rest of the map, I built two watchtowers in the west and southeastern sides of the map. Any invaders will have very little space on the map where they won't come under fire from my marksdwarves, and they cannot enter the gates without coming under fire from 3 directions. In addition, I made the fortress airtight by putting roofs over these watchtowers as well as the main keep of the fortress. I'm proud to say that only one dwarf child died when I collapsed the scaffolding needed to seal the roof entirely.

Second: sacrificial magma pit. I know this is probably standard fare for most of you here, but I rarely use magma for anything other than metalworking, so this is new for me. I punched a large hole into the magma sea, then I set up a chamber to throw prisoners into the magma. The pit is surrounded by a golden platform, silver statues, and engravings.

Finally: covered pasture, partially underground. I throw the rabbits out in front of the gates, since they act as a lure for invaders and they replace their numbers easily, but my other livestock animals were getting crammed in pretty close in my walls. The donkeys were especially testy, and they were beating the shit out of eachother pretty bad. So I carved a nice little enclosed pasture into some clay. Subterranean plants are growing in the clay, so my livestock should have plenty of space now.

All I need now are some invaders. It's been forever since the last siege, and I'm getting bored.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12340 on: April 06, 2011, 09:48:41 pm »

Get hives and make lots of masterful meals.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12341 on: April 06, 2011, 10:39:10 pm »

Yeah, bees are valuable, and you get a lot of them with only one hive. I learned that they're siege magnets the hard way.

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12342 on: April 07, 2011, 12:25:39 am »

Yeah, bees are valuable, and you get a lot of them with only one hive. I learned that they're siege magnets the hard way.

In that case, I'll start churning out hives. I want the goblins to throw themselves at me.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12343 on: April 07, 2011, 12:38:28 am »

In that case, I'll start churning out hives. I want the goblins to throw themselves at me.

You should write "Come at me, bro!" on the front wall of your fort in goblinite.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12344 on: April 07, 2011, 02:02:35 am »

The magma itself is filled with demons, for that matter.

Proxian cancels Sig Quote: Interrupted by spoilers.
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 3842