Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113152 times)

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12270 on: April 05, 2011, 02:41:04 pm »

So, an FB just showed up in the first cavern in my most recent fort. A gigantic blob made of salt. With wings. Not something I want to engage in direct combat. Fortunately, I had the cavern walled off properly, but I'm going to need to do some work in that cavern to route my magma pump stack up to where I want it.

I've built a decent-sized cave-in trap next to the cavern, baited with statues, glass windows and wooden doors. I'm using an airlock system with bridges so that even if I screw up somehow and don't kill it, I should still be able to trap it there indefinitely. I'm about to crack open the cavern end of the trap and test this baby out. Wish me luck.

Jaredus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12271 on: April 05, 2011, 04:09:57 pm »

Dealt with my first siege, 2 squads of crossbowmen, had me pretty worried since my group was equipped in all bronze (no iron on the map). Went surprisingly well, only 2 deaths and a number of injuries. One noteworthy thing was my Swordsdwarf captain was the one of the first out, and he immediately gets a bolt through the neck. He then procedes to continue fighting, tearing body parts open and hacking limbs off before he dies of blood loss. He's getting one hell of a memorial.

Edit: Would also like to note he was only Competent, and did it with a copper sword he'd become attached to.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:12:48 pm by Jaredus »

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12272 on: April 05, 2011, 04:54:31 pm »

Getakshibbi, "Asax Lite", needed some help with the second FB to cross his path. It spat fire and was getting smoke all over everything, and took out most of his tribe before he got to them. :<

I haxxed with DF Liquids to keep the fire and the smoke manageable, and finally breached my own fort and sent two squads of dorfs to help him out. One of my smiths decapitated it and then punched the next to death after it ate my carpenter and her baby. D:

Gray Toe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12273 on: April 05, 2011, 05:38:25 pm »

I.... stick with me now.. dont get lost. I just made... (pause for effect) CHEESE for the first time.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12274 on: April 05, 2011, 06:39:01 pm »

Most badass possession ever:

Nanothasdug Sobirdolok, "Neverdrum the Released Obstacle", worth 793,200 Urists, a masterful adamantine crossbow which menaces with spikes of adamantine and black diamond. On this item is an image of two diamonds in honey badger leather.

:P

In celebration, some of the fortress layabouts were conscripted into the new squad of marksdwarves known as "The Soaked Boots", who are busily plonking away on the new double-wide archery range. The other jobless bums will have the glory of atom smashing several thousand metric tons of stone.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:13:25 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

tree-puncher423

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12275 on: April 05, 2011, 07:25:51 pm »

having to make locks and levers for steel doors at my asylum, gawd at all the blood! THEY ATE THE DOCTORS!!! :O

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12276 on: April 05, 2011, 08:29:12 pm »

Embark on a new Fortress Defense fort. No metals... At all.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12277 on: April 05, 2011, 09:21:09 pm »

Urrith Amal, "The Scar of Teaching", a chicken bone helm

This is a chicken bone helm. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of chicken bone.
On the item is an image of Spiritruins the Pearls of Hardiness the adamantine skirt in goat bone.

A chicken bone helm just seems so weird yet kinda cool I wanted to post it. Its not as useful as my adamantine artifacts, and my favorite is still "Justicefirst" the golden spear, but still. Also, the skirt that is engraved on it. "Pearls of Hardiness"? Sounds like another way of saying "balls of steel".

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12278 on: April 05, 2011, 09:22:20 pm »

But for women.  8)
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12279 on: April 06, 2011, 12:30:38 am »

I think I've snapped.

See, I'm doing a themed fortress, meaning every dwarf is named after a character from a certain game me and my friends used to do together. However, I've reached just about 150 dwarves, and now I'm running short on names. I'm reaching out to the smallest of minor characters, who only made brief appearances and then never appeared again. Got done with a twenty-dorf immigrant wave, with the added bonus of half of them being married to each other, meaning some horribly incompatible pairs.

As soon as I'm through there, the elves show up. Every time they've come to my fort, it's ended badly. The first time, I accidentally offered them wood, so I seized half their junk (but they still left with goods I traded earlier). The second, goblin ambushers slaughtered them, so I took what they left behind. The third time was a repeat of the first, except I didn't trade anything successfully, and I seized everything.

Somehow, they still trusted me, but they bring a mixed blessing. They've brought many awesome animals, including a buzzard and a fox to complete a breeding pair (the buzzard was gotten from the previous year), and two rhesus macaques (sadly, both male). They also brought countless pages of cloth and clutches. So, I thought, why even bother dragging goods over when I'm probably gonna accidentally offer a wooden splint or something? Seized 30k worth of junk, animals included. And, yet, I just wasn't satisfied.

s -> a/b/c/d/e -> k -> enter

My military spared no elf and no pack animal. I blew off all the steam there, and realized just how much I wanted a war with them (I once had a world where the dwarves started out at war with them, but then they just teamed up with the goblins, rode in on war jaguars and war elephants, and slaughtered everybody; this time around, I'm much better prepared for ambushes and sieges).

So happy that I've finally reached the point where I can goad the elves into war with me and stand a chance at fighting back. So happy that it's actually pretty easy to kill the merchants now (in an old fort, I tried a ballista, but they all kept ducking or something. I didn't have any magma, either). Let them come, and let them bring their jaguars and elephants. Let them declare a joint siege with the goblins (whom my dying civ has been at war with for two centuries). I've got traps, armored military, and a jazillion puppies that will grow into murderdogs. Blood for the blood god.

Meanwhile, my guard captain beat the crap out of some poor metalsmith with a steel crossbow he probably stole from the goblins, because the mayor's crying over the lack of bismuth anything in the fort. Can't kill the mayor, because she's an artifact creator and the only worthwhile weaponsmith in the fort (in that respect, I'm lucky to have gotten that mood early on, plus an armor mood about a year after it. Now I just need to make steel instead of iron.).

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12280 on: April 06, 2011, 02:09:47 am »

so, i learnt something, you dont need to have hit any kind of cavern to have cave spiders show up, one of my kittens got bitten by one while it was killing it lol

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12281 on: April 06, 2011, 03:16:08 am »

3 of 7 dwarves were killed by skeletal cod. One of the named cod was killed before I could get a translation of its name (Semorokun). I don't think I can find out what it means now because there's no body. Unless a translator exists?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12282 on: April 06, 2011, 05:28:02 am »

I'm gonna try to end this battle vs the undead once and for all.
Tame the elk birds, train them in the arts of war, SEND THEM DOWN!
CLAD THE MILITARY IN STEEL!
YEAAAAAH
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12283 on: April 06, 2011, 07:34:36 am »

Well, I won the battle without any of that.
I also replaced the glowing floor with a diorite floor and removed the upright 2h adamantine masterwork sword.
Silly demons, you can't get out. There's a floor there.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #12284 on: April 06, 2011, 07:53:21 am »

Well, I won the battle without any of that.
I also replaced the glowing floor with a diorite floor and removed the upright 2h adamantine masterwork sword.
Silly demons, you can't get out. There's a floor there.
Is it usable by dwarves?
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 3842