Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 816 817 [818] 819 820 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113312 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12255 on: April 05, 2011, 03:13:01 am »

Stafffeed has been established, the first above-ground dwarven village for this overseer. The prospector informs us that the town sits on one of the greatest deposits of limestone he's seen, but there are no ores whatsoever. The area is filthy with trees, though clearing has been going well.

I anxious await the first goblin ambush whilst I prepare cage traps.

EDIT: Note to self: Do not touch the 'a' key when looking at the pasture zone containing the fort's 40-something puppies.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:00:50 am by CapnUrist »
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

nucleus222

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12256 on: April 05, 2011, 03:15:45 am »

Finally got a Fortress with over a Hundred dwarves, and have successfully beaten off an invasion. with only a few serious injuries. need to start looking at getting some magma as i have deforested my map for fuel. Really like the way the medical stuff is working better

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12257 on: April 05, 2011, 05:32:15 am »

That may be a way to do it. It's way too late to try now,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: no more fort. Not even time for a tantrum spiral. Thanks for playing, Legendcryptians!  :D

Yeah, melee dwarves in general tend to get wrecked by any type of demon.  They do make excellent meatshields for your marksdwarves, though.  And marksdwarves are brutally effective against powder-based demons.
Actually, I didn't stand a chance, for there were many demons with the cave-in dust. The one with a loooong range. Oh, and they were flying, too, so they dodged almost everything and weren't affected at all by their own explosive attacks. Sure, I could have set up some actual form of protection with fortifications, single z-levels passageways, and what-have-you, but I had wanted the fort to go down gloriously anyway. I'm only surprised because I hadn't expected demons to be so damn fast and strong, even when made out of salt with no special ability.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12258 on: April 05, 2011, 08:02:26 am »

Well, I decided to give Growledsteels one more try. As soon as I load up the save, the outpost liason and a 4-merchant caravan show up. And then... *A vile force of darkness has arrived* Moments later... 1 page worth of gobbo bowmen. The seasonal ambushes are something like 4 times that many. I can only hope some more are hiding somewhere. Oh and some idiot gemcutter apparently was stuck on my walls and got filled fulla holes.

Bwahaha! Thanks to a lucky skillful combination of lever-pulling, marksdwarf stationing and the agility of two caravan guards, I wiped out a page of gobbos, a page of Sand Raiders and half a page of Bugbears. I lured the Sand Raiders and gobbos with the open outer bridge, and my legendary marksdwarves mowed them down. The caravan guards rushed over to get a piece of action, stumbled onto a bugbear ambush, and ripped them up.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:57:27 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12259 on: April 05, 2011, 09:10:06 am »

<---- Trying not to laugh.

One of my legendary pikedwarves just went into a martial trance due to accidental positioning outside the walls... She was last seen chasing something on the order of 40 mounted Sand Raiders around outside, with all of them running in fear while my marksdwarves took occasional potshots. She was doing this while carrying around a baby. Thankfully, once the martial trance ended, she ran back inside.

3. Run Resize Enable

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12260 on: April 05, 2011, 09:32:14 am »

Got my windmill powered water pumps going, drawing up from the Aquifer and pumping into the cistern under the well. It's not paved, but that's why I have the well there.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12261 on: April 05, 2011, 09:38:03 am »

A forgotten beast made of flame started stomping around in the lake in my lowest cavern level.  This created huge amounts of steam and, yet worse, lots of flowing water which absolutely hammered my FPS.

I decided to sent in my ultra-elite marksdwarves through the cavern airlock to deal with it.  The coincidental arrival of a pack of crundles at exactly the wrong moment now means that I have !!crundle corpses!!, !!dwarven children!! and Armok alone knows what else.  But my military survived and my FPS is improving.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12262 on: April 05, 2011, 09:49:02 am »

Hmm. Just drove off the latest batch of invaders, with no casualties (apart from that idiot gemsetter way back at the beginning of the attack), and only two scratched arms among my entire military force.

Incidentally, Growledsteels is now a County.

3. Run Resize Enable

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12263 on: April 05, 2011, 01:05:33 pm »

Finally selling all those bone crafts. They've been produced, in two different craftsdwarf shops, at a near constant rate since the start of my fortress, some 6 or 7 years ago. Over 30,000 in value, from bone crafts alone. Not bad. There's also a few wool items... maybe a couple wood items mixed in somewhere, and... a dwarf tooth crown?! And another crown made of dwarf bone?!

What?! Who?! The Elves!

I didn`t check what I killed them for thoroughly the last time...

They ate our brothers, and tried to sell us the scraps! Those sick, sick bastards!

No more. We won`t tolerate them any longer. We won`t even accept the spoils of murdering their merchants. We`ll trade them wood until they declare war, then murder every single cannibal hippie that sets foot on our lands!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12264 on: April 05, 2011, 01:21:21 pm »

Found a demonic fort.
Undead badger men.
Yeah, I'm boned.

EDIT: I found the adamantine 2h sword.
But there's no way I'm gonna pick up that beauty yet.
I'll prepare.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:38:48 pm by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12265 on: April 05, 2011, 01:41:47 pm »

Elves are wierd. They trade us wooden figurines and toys every year and then scold us when we try to offer them a door or barrel. I assume they get their wood by crafting it while it's still alive, kind of like how we get square watermelons. I've been trying to mod a reaction that takes a sapling and turns it into a living wooden item, but I don't know if this will still offend the elves or if there's a way to make a certain method of gaining wood more acceptable. I'm hoping to improve relations with them. I really don't see what's wrong with the Elves, they even traded us all that +soylent green+ last year, and the food stockpiles have never been fuller. Also, I still haven't found out why my Dwarves keep going missing in the forests.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12266 on: April 05, 2011, 01:51:58 pm »

I think the elves hate anyone else using wood thing is hardcoded (AIUI they even get annoyed when you sell them wooden products you got from them in 1st place), so maybe you should adjust your wooden item reactions to turn out low-value rock (petrified wood?) product instead.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12267 on: April 05, 2011, 02:00:01 pm »

I think the elves hate anyone else using wood thing is hardcoded (AIUI they even get annoyed when you sell them wooden products you got from them in 1st place), so maybe you should adjust your wooden item reactions to turn out low-value rock (petrified wood?) product instead.

Oh well, I'll dig around and see if I can't find anything. I still want to make that reaction, though.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12268 on: April 05, 2011, 02:00:34 pm »

A forest fire just scorched an entire goblin siege.
GOBLINITE TIME
EDIT:6 traps of entirely copper serrated discs just sliced apart a Thunderbird and a centaur siege.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:52:02 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12269 on: April 05, 2011, 02:20:52 pm »

A forest fire just scorched an entire goblin siege.
GOBLINITE TIME
I'm still fighting the fires after my own one.
Good luck!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 816 817 [818] 819 820 ... 3842