Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113477 times)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11880 on: March 28, 2011, 09:43:37 pm »

After killing about a sixth of my dwarves and apparently suffering zero casualties, (their numbers went from 16 to 13, but there are no dead invaders on the units list) The invaders apparently got bored and left. They'd have had a lot more Fun if they'd walked across the Field of Blades I specifically built for them.

I attempted to send some military dwarves at 'em, all decked out in full iron, but as bare hands are among the choices for "individual choice, melee", few carried any weapons into battle. I'll have to remember to specifically assign weapons next time. I'm thinking battle axes. They're good at seperating enemies into fun-sized pieces.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11881 on: March 28, 2011, 09:47:45 pm »

Arena? Colossus vs. your soldiers, today only, get your tickets while they last?

I think I may use it as a "live" target for my marksdwarves to practice on. Just gotta queue up some bone bolts.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11882 on: March 28, 2011, 09:57:08 pm »

The seige made me realize that the only things I need to go outside for any more are the refuse stockpile, the graveyard, and plants. If I build those inside, My fortress can be self-sustaining, with dwarves never having to leave. The goblins will be a mere annoyance rather than any real threat.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11883 on: March 28, 2011, 10:06:24 pm »

AAAAAAAAHHHH

Spoiler: AAAAAAAAHHHH (click to show/hide)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11884 on: March 28, 2011, 10:14:51 pm »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad the elves made it inside first. They brought me a Tigerman, a Giant Tiger, and two more Giant Lions among random monkeys and such. I accidentally offered them a barrel though, so I had to seize them as well as the wood the elves were carrying. Hopefully they still bring me nice things next year.

As regards the siege, there was a squad of trolls which spawned to the southeast and my crossbow squad tore to shreds from the walls. There is the Polo squad (hammergoblins mounted on various beasts), a lancer squad (mounted pikers) and a Mongol squad (mounted archers). These squads all spawned on the north side of the river, went straight south and had their leads amphibious mounts jump into the river, where the elites quickly drowned. Now they are all just standing there on the north bank looking slightly confused, and I am more than happy to leave them there since I don't expect another caravan until the dwarves make their autumnal visit. Not to mention that, including the mounts, my dwarves are vastly outnumbered and would have to attack across the bridge where they would be flanked on one side by horrible monstrosities with pointy things and on the other by horrible monstrosities with flying pointy things.

Interestingly enough, the western edge of the river is where it flows off the map, and a wide swath of the river is only 3/7 deep at that position. The Hammer Lord was swept off his mount but made it to shallow water, meaning he is still alive but with no way out of the riverbed. I think at this point I can let my dwarves go down to green alert, which restricts them to the fortress, caverns, and southern bank, but I'll have to keep an eye on the situation as it develops.

Imiknorris, please tell me your map is on fire now.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11885 on: March 28, 2011, 10:23:14 pm »

It's a desert, what do you expect? There was some grass charring, but I saved immediately after taking those screenshots, and I'm not going to load that back up until I'm good and ready (read: there's actually three of them).

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11886 on: March 28, 2011, 10:29:40 pm »

An ettin arrived. This map seems prone more to random giant beasts than to goblin attacks. I enjoy the variety, I must say. Luckily, the ettin has only caught one herbalist so far, who has saved the life of every other dwarf in the fortress purely through her stubborn refusal to die. The ettin has been strangling her for upwards of 20 pages of combat logs, giving everybody else time to retreat to the fortress.

Unbelievably, the ettin has spent so long ineffectually strangling the dwarf, he is starting to pass out from exhaustion. He still hasn't killed her yet, so she might be able to escape if he loses consciousness for long enough. She'd have to hobble back on the stump of her left leg, though. The ettin took off her foot.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11887 on: March 28, 2011, 11:17:54 pm »

My manager got possessed, claimed a forge, wants metal bars, stone, wood and cloth.

But he just won't take the wood and cloth, no matter how much I have. I even went to the caverns to make some spider silk cloth for him, and nothing... now I'll be trying to shear a llama and make some cloth out of that.

Still no idea on why won't he grab any wood.

helap guise
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11888 on: March 28, 2011, 11:21:43 pm »

He may want more of what he's already claimed. Do you have extra bars and stones on hand that he could go and grab?

Is he assigned to a burrow? If so, are there sources of each of his requested materials inside that burrow?

At the moment, those are all I can think of.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11889 on: March 28, 2011, 11:59:10 pm »

Decided to settle in the caverns. Genned a new world with max cavern openness (to facilitate living there), embarked, all was going well. My first two dwarf apartment-stalagmites were up, there was a magma pool in the first cavern layer, it was glorious.

Then, because my dwarves misplaced a mechanism, the lever linking to my drawbridge, my gatehouse isn't working yet. My announcement log reads thusly:

Astesh, Carpenter, has produced a masterpiece!
Astesh, Carpenter, interrupts job: Create Bed - interrupted by cave crocodile
Astesh, Carpenter, has bled to death.

Belltested got two kills before he chased my expedition leader out the east entrance (which had been covered in cage traps). The only surviving casualty is my militia commander, who lost his left index finger (ouch, but bearable) and his left upper leg (cripes!). He's "faint" and "pale" so I don't expect him to be long of this world.

And now I have a male cave croc in a cage. And he's tasted dwarf blood. Hm. Start a zoo or a feeding pit?

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11890 on: March 29, 2011, 12:01:25 am »

I haven't set any burrows - haven't learned how to do it yet.

There's a large load of copper, tin, and bismuth bronze bars in the three smelters, which are... 3 tiles away for copper, a few more for the others. Oh, and some silver and lead, too...
As for stone, then the answer is again yes. Two rooms located above the forge are devoted to being ore stockpiles, and then there are loads of stone everywhere where there has been any digging.

I'm more concerned why won't he grab other stuff, really.

He seems to have taken normal bronze bars, so I guess I'll try making a few more of those and see if he'll grab them first, then go for the wood and cloth.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11891 on: March 29, 2011, 12:19:16 am »

Does he want stone, or stone blocks?  I mixed that up once.  I only realized my mistake when I made some stone blocks for something else and the mood dwarf took one.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11892 on: March 29, 2011, 12:25:48 am »

A bridge didn't get finished because no one wanted to go out there and design the building, even though everyone had architecture enabled and there was a migrant wave waiting for us outside. My legendary miner (unfortunately caught on the wrong side of the entance) went insane and started ripping off her clothes and babbling incoherently before dying due to lions. We got the bridge up and the migrants entered. A cook is throwing a hissy fit and breaking farm plots and, you guessed it, the fucking bridge. I tried to get my militia to attack her, but they wouldn't even think of it. I fucking hate cooks now. I think I'll leave her down in the caverns, alone. Did I mention that I found the caverns? Because I found the caverns.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11893 on: March 29, 2011, 12:36:11 am »

Quote from: The game, during an ambush
The Axedwarf hacks The Goblin Swordsman in the lower body with her ☼steel battle axe☼, tearing apart the muscle through the <{cave spider silk cloak}> and spilling his stinking guts!
The stinking guts bit is a nice touch.
All the bronze-clad dwarves got totally slaughtered, though. Steel is the way, guys (in case you didn't already know).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:45:14 am by SirAaronIII »
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11894 on: March 29, 2011, 01:29:51 am »

Holy fuck. Immigrant legendary engraver. Exactly when I was thinking about starting to smooth the fort.

Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 3842