Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113034 times)

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11850 on: March 28, 2011, 02:34:38 pm »

there's flux? How? Even if it's marble, it shows up as flux in the overview...

Only if it's close to the surface.
About 60% of the sites that I find with the finder that have flux, do not list it on the overview. But it's there when I embark, usually marble.
Once in a while I get sites that show flux on the overview and turn out, when I embark, to have none whatsoever, but the finder has yet to steer me wrong.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11851 on: March 28, 2011, 02:39:19 pm »

It was exposed and right next to the wagon.

a) What's so special about fire clay?
b) No kaolinite.
c) My first goals are to bring everything inside, begin steel production (prospector showed some hematite somewhere) and build an entrance that I can flood with magma on command.

Right now all I need for that last part is mechanisms and a bridge, and there was gabbro right behind the marble.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11852 on: March 28, 2011, 02:46:47 pm »

It was exposed and right next to the wagon.

a) What's so special about fire clay?
b) No kaolinite.
c) My first goals are to bring everything inside, begin steel production (prospector showed some hematite somewhere) and build an entrance that I can flood with magma on command.

Right now all I need for that last part is mechanisms and a bridge, and there was gabbro right behind the marble.

fire clay makes stoneware, which is worth more as a pottery material but not as much as porcelain.

My armorer celebrated the return of Bloody Summer by going fey and making... lead leggings. One thing about Slaughtersboulders- the artifacts suck. The only useful things thus far are an artifact palm crossbow and rhinoceros bone coffin. 2/10 right there- the rest are arts and crafts, a particularly underwhelming weapon rack, and this latest pair of leggings. Although he's a legendary armorsmith now, he was already Grand Master.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11853 on: March 28, 2011, 02:50:07 pm »

Started a marksdwarf squad.
I have only two in the squad so far.
I gave them bolts, a quiver and a crossbow.
They spent their first moments in battle shooting down wolves.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11854 on: March 28, 2011, 03:00:28 pm »

Pretty much. Normal clay makes earthenware, which has a x3 value multiplier. Fire clay makes stoneware, which has a x4 multiplier, and holds water without any glazing needed. Kaolinite... you know, porcelain and its x10 multiplier, same as iron.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11855 on: March 28, 2011, 03:29:39 pm »

How many dwarves did you start with?

My bet is <starting population>/3, rounded up.
I can't remember the exact number, but I must have been at around 201 dwarfs, give or take, when the siege started. Wild animals from the deep also ate some dorfs.
3 months after the siege, we're at 173 - oops, 172 -  and counting. The mayor is really on the edge of going MAD, like the previous one he replaced in an emergency. I believe the only one who'll survive unscathed will be the... captain of the guard, who, ironically, was one of the hospital's permanent resident until the glorious update. Just doesn't have many friends at all, and he's killed one of almost every race; just gotta sic him on an elf, and...

In other, unrelated news, Legendcrypts is having its main feature filled at last. :P
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11856 on: March 28, 2011, 04:08:57 pm »

My dwarves get really really excited about bathing with raptor soap!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11857 on: March 28, 2011, 04:12:22 pm »

I had problems with my goats and donkeys fighting constantly, so I moved the donkeys into their own pasture. Lo and behold, they all decide to stand right on top of one another and immediately start beating the shit out of each other. I think I'll just let natural selection run its course.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11858 on: March 28, 2011, 04:13:16 pm »

Double aquifer troubles.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

LionSilverWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrodinger's Kit
    • View Profile
    • LionWolf Studio
« Reply #11859 on: March 28, 2011, 04:16:14 pm »

...I actually have no idea what is going on. I blinked and my dorfs were all killing each other, blood everywhere, and now they're roaming the desolate halls hunting vermin, completely ignoring the stockpiled food!
Why is this covered in blood?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11860 on: March 28, 2011, 04:17:10 pm »

That ended fast. The game crashed when I decided to magmafry the dwarven caravan.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11861 on: March 28, 2011, 04:38:35 pm »

This summer looks to be as bloody as ever.

At the beginning of the season, I finally established a set schedule for my military. The two most dangerous months have my crossbowdwarves patrolling the walls. The other three squads split time between standing guard over the gatehouse, training, and taking a season of leave.

The humans have sent a besieging force- a single squad of two dozen macemen lead by Ona Urombol, Human Lasher and his trusty stallion Cika. Concurrently, the forgotten beast Mishos has arrived, a great feathered moth. It has three long, spiral horns and is ravening. Beware its poisonous bite! The humans spent a few weeks huddled to the north while Mishos spent those same weeks fluttering above the magma pool. As a flier, he will be able to penetrate my lower fortress defenses, and I also just realized that he has another avenue to the surface in the form of an exploratory shaft I dug at the founding of the fort and never floored over due to dangerous wildlife.

The humans, after partying about their campfire for a bit, where inspired by their leader to move towards the main bridge. There they discovered a fresh line of cage traps since their last visit, and a hapless maceman and the horse Cika were captured. After being unhorsed, the leader decided to leave the bridge alone and regroup back at their campfire.

Mishos, coincidentally, has moved to a point equidistant between the lower fortress entrance and the surface shaft (curse the day I dug it!)  Now that the humans have backed away from the bridge, two more cage traps have been sprung by enterprising goblin thieves. I'm fairly certain that the humans know about the rest of the cage traps, and they may know about some of the weapon traps as well.

A goblin ambush of macegoblins led by a piker have tripped the last of the cage traps on the north side of the river bridge (I should really name that bridge...) After their leader blundered into a cage trap on the south bank the 3 remaining free goblins have frozen in place, unsure of their next move. It seems that, for now, all respective combatants are willing to hold their position, keeping me penned inside the walls, away from the open sky and the welcoming caverns.

AUTOSAVE

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11862 on: March 28, 2011, 04:47:13 pm »

My militia commander, Fath Etesolin, was possessed. He had no moodable skills. And he likes spears. So...

He went to a craftsdwarf's workshop, and...

He has created Fath Etesolin, a yak bone spear.

HE NAMED HIS ARTIFACT AFTER HIMSELF
HOW NARCISSISTIC IS THAT

Anyway, I'm so having him use it. But only after he makes 9000+ bone bolts.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11863 on: March 28, 2011, 04:55:39 pm »

Another squad of gobbos decloaked, this time spears. They rushed across the river bridge, tripping the few remaining cage traps, then proceeded under heavy fire from my crossbow squad all the way to the southern, open gate, tripping two more cage traps there. The remaining 3 goblins saw my military waiting and surged forward into the line of weapon traps. The sole survivor was so wounded he was unable to do much to keep a novice hammerdwarf from caving his head in.

I suspect the humans and goblins were in cahoots, for as soon as this charge was done the humans followed. My dwarves charged them while they were still on the moat bridge, and knocked their leader into the moat. After a brief scuffle in which a dwarf was killed and another wounded (at the loss of only one human maceman) the humans lost their nerve, lifted the siege and ran for the hills.

The FB is still fluttering around the caverns, but that is of little consequence. This day, Slaughtersboulders stands victorious!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11864 on: March 28, 2011, 05:00:46 pm »

Not much is happening right now actually, but I've noticed something curious about my playstyle. The longer the fort goes on, the more I just sit there and watch the dwarves going about without interfering. I really should finish my hospital and get them making soap, but sometimes I let months of game time slip by without doing anything. No wonder I'm always horribly prepared for attacks when they arrive.
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 3842