Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 768 769 [770] 771 772 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111643 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11535 on: March 19, 2011, 04:45:20 pm »

I'm building a mosaic of Black Mage using paved roads.

I'm currently having a chicksplosion. I've posted this in the fan art thread, but since it accurately describes what's currently going on in my fort, I'll post it here too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11536 on: March 19, 2011, 05:04:53 pm »

I just pierced an aquifer with a pump for the first time using Quantum's double slit method. All my dwarves have got the love bug and are marrying like crazy. I had four marriages within a couple of minutes last time I unpaused the game. Is that related to living in a good biome? I'm just trying one for the first time.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11537 on: March 19, 2011, 05:09:34 pm »

I just pierced an aquifer with a pump for the first time using Quantum's double slit method. All my dwarves have got the love bug and are marrying like crazy. I had four marriages within a couple of minutes last time I unpaused the game. Is that related to living in a good biome? I'm just trying one for the first time.

My guess is that your dwarves had some idle time while waiting for you to get through the aquifer. Idle time -> Socialization -> Friendships/Lovers -> Marriage -> BABIES. BABIES EVERYWHERE!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11538 on: March 19, 2011, 05:29:24 pm »

Hmm, maybe that's it. I thought I had everyone busy deforesting the map and farming, but it's true that I took my eye off the fort for a while.

Edit: I should mention that I had almost no marriages at all on my volcanic island embark, even though I  regularly had over 100 idlers.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11539 on: March 19, 2011, 06:02:57 pm »

I'm genning a world with the maximum mineral scarcity. This will be fun.

EDIT: Oh hey, cavern collapse and an upright ☼adamantine two-handed sword☼.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 06:19:13 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11540 on: March 19, 2011, 07:23:27 pm »

Just lowered the dragon population requirement to 20. As my fortress is surrounded by a moat and loads of cage traps...

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11541 on: March 19, 2011, 07:40:28 pm »

Tragedy strikes Lockgranite!

The chief medical dwarf has been caught in an engineered cave-in and her dog killed!

The chief medical dwarf. What the hell was I thinking for making the chief medical dwarf also a miner?!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11542 on: March 19, 2011, 07:47:13 pm »

Somehow survived demons with absolutely no loss.
Draining water into the magma see failed miserably; much more obsidian than expected was formed. The flow was probably way too strong to allow gradual obsidian-dripping.
Slooooowly building the pumps and a way to power them all.
Also, once again, elven trading season and goblin ambushing season coincided perfectly. Only the former didn't die or lose anything. Yeah, I know, I'm amazed too. And it's lucky they didn't run away, because I have now a breeding pair of jaguars and leopards, and another black bear. Hurray!
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11543 on: March 19, 2011, 08:16:09 pm »

Built my tribute to Black Mage

Everything's sort of ho hum right now. I need to find something cool to do.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11544 on: March 19, 2011, 08:17:56 pm »

^^Make the "background" light gray to emphasize the shadows hiding his face.

The dwarven caravan has arrived, and I traded some things for the liaison's clothing. I also scored two steel shields and a steel helm from the guards, as well as a couple of steel items from the trading. I ordered steel crafts, steel anvils, and steel bars at max priority, so I should be able to get some soldiers equipped despite having absolutely no minerals at all other than galena, kimberlite, and gems (according to dfprospector).

Max mineral scarcity is fun. It teaches you to be resourceful.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11545 on: March 19, 2011, 09:08:03 pm »

Been playing for years and never did a megaproject... yes shameful I know.

So I'm installing an airship dock at the top of Minecastle's keep and I'm going to build an airship there.  With a small crew (probably 6 or 7) and all their housing available up there.  Since I'm using a custom race that is supposed to be able to fly,* they will also include their own squad of 2 or 3 Lancer dracon which will act as marines.

Current planned features:
Dwarven water reactor engines (likely 2)
Port and starboard ballista
Captain with captain's quarters
Barracks with beds and training area.
Small mess hall.
Windmill propellers for lift.

It won't be nearly as large as the Fist of Armok, probably more of a destroyer compared to the fist's criuser or battleship, and probably not very impressive compared to other megaprojects out there, but dammit it will impress me.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 09:17:26 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11546 on: March 20, 2011, 12:26:19 am »

My guess is that your dwarves had some idle time while waiting for you to get through the aquifer. Idle time -> Socialization -> Friendships/Lovers -> Marriage -> BABIES. BABIES EVERYWHERE!

for the longest time, only one of my dwarves was having kids, she has had 4 kids back to back, 2 sons, a daughter, then another son -.-;; the oldest one is like 3 now, im wondering if he will even live to see adulthood >.>

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11547 on: March 20, 2011, 12:59:26 am »

Lockgranite is bored.

And also has only like 11 people. >.> COME ON IN MIGRANTS I HAVE ENOUGH ROOM FOR LIKE THREE HUNDRED PEOPLE

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11548 on: March 20, 2011, 01:44:42 am »

After losing an entire fort to a desert titan, I reclaimed. My new dwarfs got to shelter and then got to work building a magma cannon. Construction was slightly succesful, but the titan always managed to escape the waves of lava we sent after him. At long last, Lusnub Howlpacks the Hairy Raptor-Season of Birds was slain by a crossbow-dwarf that accompanied a caravan. Now, what to do with all this magma?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11549 on: March 20, 2011, 01:46:37 am »

Welp, that fort didn't last very long. Goblin ambush in the second spring, coupled with no defenses at all (I was actually about to start setting up a drawbridge) made my thirteen dwarves die very quickly.

So I'm doing it again. Forest, brook, shallow slopes (I have a defense/wild animal catching entrance thing I want to build), very deep soil, flux, no metals at all. Let's do this.

EDIT: No sand or clay either.

EDIT2: I have both dolomite and marble. My dolomite layer looks like this:

Spoiler: Big image (click to show/hide)

Looks like I won't have to worry about mineral veins breaking up the appearance of my beautiful rooms.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 02:29:33 am by Urist Imiknorris »

Pages: 1 ... 768 769 [770] 771 772 ... 3842