Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111388 times)

B4brilliant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11505 on: March 19, 2011, 01:48:59 am »

A VILE FORCE ARRIVES!! i check...pfft, its a group of speargoblins not even lead by a lord, send my whole militia after them...watching my militia gather...2 groups of 5 trolls show up....a group of 10 axe goblins and 6 bowgoblins lead by a hammerlord...went from having a militia of 30 to having a militia of 9...

savescummed >.> gonna build a dwarven atom smasher infront of my entrance...if its closed will they still crowd it?

in my experience: no.
i've spent ages creating a magma pool and a drawbridge to (try to)fling invading goblins in it, and as soon as i draw the inner bridge, sealing the fortress, they just stop, maybe wander a little, but sadly never step on the gobbopult.
afaik the enemy try to find a path into your fortress and follow it, but in the very moment this path is broken, even if the path-breaking item is on the other side of the map, they will stop.
so for now my dream of a fortress without soldier is being shattered...

I had this problem in my volcano-lair fortress. The only way in was a zigzag of retractable drawbridges over the volcano. Goblins would pile up right outside after one pull of the lever. I got around it (mostly) by drafting a brave soldier and stationing him on a small platform next to the bridge within sight of the goblins. they snap out of it, would run to attack him, and I would pull the lever of doom. Note: usually cost the life of one mighty dwarf each time I wanted to do it. Note 2: doesn't work on bowgoblins very well.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11506 on: March 19, 2011, 01:54:54 am »

You could put a stray animal on a chain somewhere inside a structure forcing even bowmen to walk over the bridges to reach it. They'll charge the tunnel in true Russian fashion, and die like Russians too.

My fort has been rather unproductive lately. The dwarves seem to have unnecessarily large amounts of work on their hands and I have only my work manager idle at any time. Don't think I have many construction jobs designated, either.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 01:57:24 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: March 19, 2011, 02:01:51 am »

Real dwarves use pressure plates!
I had this problem in my volcano-lair fortress. The only way in was a zigzag of retractable drawbridges over the volcano. Goblins would pile up right outside after one pull of the lever. I got around it (mostly) by drafting a brave soldier and stationing him on a small platform next to the bridge within sight of the goblins. they snap out of it, would run to attack him, and I would pull the lever of doom. Note: usually cost the life of one mighty dwarf each time I wanted to do it. Note 2: doesn't work on bowgoblins very well.
I like having a very long zigzag of retractable bridges, and auto-retracting hatches at the end SO CLOSE to the fort entrance.
They go in, activate the plate, and when one goblin steps on a plate he can't go forward, but instead dumps his friends into the pit/lake/volcano  ;D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: March 19, 2011, 02:08:36 am »

40d wrassledwarfs against one gobin siege? Yeah, that aint much of a contest.

This is one of the game mechanics that the new version will undoubtedly fix, someday.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:13:42 am by varnish »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: March 19, 2011, 03:15:50 am »

http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/Quantum_foodpile946.jpg

I have 20 pages worth of prepared food in a single pot.  It weighs just under 1.1 tons. Awesome.

Jaw-dropping bug. Reported?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: March 19, 2011, 04:02:52 am »

siege rerated questions...

so, if i were to block off my main entrance, but make an entrance near the top of the mountain i dug into FULL of spike traps and such, will goblins run in there?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: March 19, 2011, 04:12:54 am »

http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/Quantum_foodpile946.jpg

I have 20 pages worth of prepared food in a single pot.  It weighs just under 1.1 tons. Awesome.

Happened also too me... not as much but still, my -large basalt pot- is worth 24k in the depot with no more than skilled cooks.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: March 19, 2011, 05:33:57 am »

>:( ::)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Goddamnit, and this embark was looking so good, too. But noooo, caverns all up in my stuff... -sigh-

And the offending caverns were about 4 or 5 z-levels underground, too! >.> damnit why so close to the surface~
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 05:39:55 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: March 19, 2011, 05:46:38 am »

It is curse for keeping dwarfs in 3 tile rooms.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: March 19, 2011, 05:51:49 am »

It is curse for keeping dwarfs in 3 tile rooms.

They can have bigger rooms over the magma if they're that insistent about it.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: March 19, 2011, 06:46:02 am »

140 was a dramatic year in the life of Fortress Koshid, 'Slaughterrocks'... (Great random name! :D Suits it! )
The fort had long since recovered from its shaky, lawless and violent start, thanks to the efforts of a few great dwarves, now memorialized in the main hall. In 140, the goblins really stepped up their efforts to wipe us out...
They seemed to attack as soon as their spies told them there was a new baby in the fort... It got so bad I had to build a heavily-guarded nursery.
I'll tell more later, but also, the new well is finally built, although it's STILL claiming lives... Two dwarves died in the construction, and after it was working a forgotten beast climbed up the well and killed one dwarf and bit off another's hand, all the while being stabbed. Oh, and I have two Forgotten Beasts in my basement... :S
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: March 19, 2011, 07:05:32 am »

Wells truly are deathtraps. The one place you don't want contaminants is the one place dwarves insist on dragging blood into, drowning, and falling. I've finally managed to set up a well with flowing water and no contaminants, right next to the hospitals. Too bad nobody ever gets injured...
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: March 19, 2011, 08:52:24 am »

A mining incident just killed one of my three legendary miners, plus the metalcrafter I'd just ordered to help them. Damn.

Accidentally dug ramps underneath a tree. Not a good idea.

EDIT: Appears I also broke both legs and one arm of another dwarf. Time to rapidly build a hospital!

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11518 on: March 19, 2011, 08:54:15 am »

The forgotten beast that had been lurking in the caverns underneath of Raldakost finally got wind of my deep well operation - after 5 years of stalking around the caverns and leaving me alone. It crawled up through the well and then chased a dwarf all the way up to the point where the well tunnel meets the main staircases, secured with some doors and bridges in each direction. The problem is that it's a giant shrimp that breathes venom, so my dwarves are guaranteed to get paralyzed and suffocate. It also rots their bodies while they're still alive which is pretty gross. I was a bad boy and reloaded it once because of some dumb mistakes in the first run. I left a door unlocked and the venom/miasma would creep up the staircase and flood vital parts of the fortress. Dozens of dwarves died. Half a squad could probably take it out, but it's a suicide mission. On the other hand, I just repelled a siege and the hospital is crowded. So access to the well is just as important. As of now, the shrimp lost interest and is loitering in the hallway behind the bridge. It can break through doors, but hasn't decided to do so just yet.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11519 on: March 19, 2011, 09:08:19 am »

Mmm, so much cotton candy! I went reckless and pierced right into the middle of a pillar. As luck would have it, it was solid. :D
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 3842