Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 765 766 [767] 768 769 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111384 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11490 on: March 18, 2011, 01:35:36 pm »

Amazing. My head woodsman was working on barrels in the workshop when he suddenly had an *amazing* Idea, claimed that very workshop and the wood he was already using, stole a set of granite blocks from the mason immediately adjacent to him, where his lover was working, and began making this Wonder of the World.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:42:35 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11491 on: March 18, 2011, 02:19:18 pm »

Ah, but dwarfs are pretty much dicks anyway. Dick moves IS a national sport. If it weren't, well, why would they deconstruct a floor tile right under another worker's feet, sending them falling and flailing to a painful death? Stupidity? Huh, right, that would explain things as well.
Besides, there are many ways to make it less murder and more unfortunate accident. Set up traps in advance, and see elves and humans step right into it instead of being smart and walking around it. Or simply don't let them out and let them become crazy. I believe that counts technically as murder for their civilization, and you never actually actively do anything wrong.

Remember Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

As for what's going on in my fortress, a bowyer just created an artifact bow. Not crossbow,bow... ike the elf weapon. Despite being an elf weapon it menaces with spikes of adamantine ( I forgot to forbid it) red diamond, steel and spinels. It is made of featherwood.
So it is an item useless to me, will destroy the hands of anyone that fires it, and won't even be worth anything if I sell it to anyone not a dwarf really (and like hell am I letting the diplomat see that thing, lest he think us all elf lovers.)
I had him tossed into the center of the world.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11492 on: March 18, 2011, 02:41:15 pm »

An odd quirk of my current fortress is that, every winter, it snows. On the western third of my fort only. I suspect biome-related fun.

I'm starting to run out of hill to dig away for stone. On the plus side, I have a bedroom for every dwarf complete with cabinet and coffer. I've limited it to 20 dwarfs and, for once, that's exactly what I have. My next two construction projects are extending the wall up one level, to protect my upper (roof) stockpiles, and building a decent gatehouse to defend my entrance. I also need a water cistern and well, as my only water is a small pool on top of what remains of the hill, and I need military training areas. It's nearly the end of year 2 in Deatharch, and all seems to be going well!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11493 on: March 18, 2011, 03:18:48 pm »

An odd quirk of my current fortress is that, every winter, it snows. On the western third of my fort only. I suspect biome-related fun.

I've got a brook outside my fort. Every winter, the eastern end of it freezes solid, while the western end keeps flowing. We're not sure exactly how that works, but water keeps flowing out of the ice. There is definitely a biome boundary where the freezing ends, you can also see it in the rock layers. I'm not sure if the rock distribution causes the temperature difference, or vice versa. There is also heavy forest on the western part, and no trees at all on the east. Maybe the type of rocks underground keeps the trees from growing in the eastern area, and the trees in the west help hold in heat. That might explain it. Yeah, that's the ticket!

So once I clear cut the forest, will the western half of the brook will start freezing? ;)

I've got to clear cut the forest, because this is about the 7th fort in a row that hasn't had any coal. I can find metals, but have to use charcoal for everything. It keeps my mason busy, since I can't afford to use wood for anything but beds, bins, and barrels (sounds like a name for a mall store). And making things from metal takes more wood than making them from wood. So if it can be made with stone, it gets made with stone. I buy every log every caravan brings in, plus dig out vast chambers out of the soil as underground tree farms, but still can't get enough wood. My current fort has only found tetrathedrite and galena, so I'm stuck with copper armor and weapons, and whatever goblinite I can scavenge. I'm hoping for goblins to come so I can get decent armor to defend myself from the goblins. Hmmm, that makes as much sense as having the downstream part of a brook flowing while the upstream part is frozen solid, doesn't it? That's Dwarven Logic for you!

I had a recent fort that had loads of iron ores (veins of hematite going through the clusters of magnetite) and flux, but I eventually just made iron weapons & armor because steel takes 3 times as much charcoal, and that was my limiting resource.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11494 on: March 18, 2011, 03:23:31 pm »

I like the trees idea, it nearly makes sense. ;) Unfortunately, there's no significant tree life in my snow-free area. A full on snowstorm does cover the entire map, though.

My fort has maybe a dozen or two so trees growing at most. And I haven't yet dug to see if there's fuel. Needless to say, i have no metal industry at all! :)

A godlin snatcher just got found by one of my hunting dogs. The goblin cut one of the paws of the dog off, then legged it. :(

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11495 on: March 18, 2011, 03:28:02 pm »

Well, I just had a fisherdwarf go insane, since I didn't even realize he was in a mood and I didn't even have the necessary workshop.

He made a good first practice for my new squad of axe dwarfs, who were a tad overzealous, cutting off all his limbs and crushing his skull. Burial took a while from hunting all the pieces.

Fight like that when the goblins arrive, boys, and we'll have nothing to worry about.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #11496 on: March 18, 2011, 03:37:46 pm »

Started new fort, this time I wanted some cool plan instead of random building so I decided to make micro fort. The area has only little trees and is very hot and Terrifying!

The first thing I did was to build lame wall...  :-[
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11497 on: March 18, 2011, 03:39:30 pm »

lol, i had to murder one of my dwarves >.> he went berserk cuz i had no raw green glass, luckily i thought ahead when i saw i had no sand, and walled him into the craftdwarf workshop, then made an internal only door for when he'd eventually go insane ^^

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11498 on: March 18, 2011, 04:45:30 pm »

Been churning out stone mugs: apparently everyone likes them. Some donkey died in a cage. Oops? Human caravan came, whoo-hoo! Gonna foist said mugs off on 'em and take all their excellent aboveground booze.

Just waiting for the gobbos to notice I have bees and 81 dwarves so I can test out my new carpet. It's made of mechanisms and cages.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11499 on: March 18, 2011, 04:59:27 pm »

yup i have 3 craftsdwarves workshops pumping out stone mugs, and one of my stonecrafts just took a fey mood and grabbed stone first, so im assuming he's about to become a legendary stonecrafter, once he finishes there and unclaims it, im gonna make it start pumping out bone crafts, the whole make civvies wear bone helms didnt really work -.-;;

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #11500 on: March 18, 2011, 05:05:36 pm »

The wall was useless against harpy which killed cheesemaker and the dorfs ignored the lever which raises drawbridge, so ogre killed everyone else.

->Savescummed.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11501 on: March 18, 2011, 05:26:43 pm »

A VILE FORCE ARRIVES!! i check...pfft, its a group of speargoblins not even lead by a lord, send my whole militia after them...watching my militia gather...2 groups of 5 trolls show up....a group of 10 axe goblins and 6 bowgoblins lead by a hammerlord...went from having a militia of 30 to having a militia of 9...

savescummed >.> gonna build a dwarven atom smasher infront of my entrance...if its closed will they still crowd it?

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11502 on: March 18, 2011, 05:48:38 pm »

A VILE FORCE ARRIVES!! i check...pfft, its a group of speargoblins not even lead by a lord, send my whole militia after them...watching my militia gather...2 groups of 5 trolls show up....a group of 10 axe goblins and 6 bowgoblins lead by a hammerlord...went from having a militia of 30 to having a militia of 9...

savescummed >.> gonna build a dwarven atom smasher infront of my entrance...if its closed will they still crowd it?

in my experience: no.
i've spent ages creating a magma pool and a drawbridge to (try to)fling invading goblins in it, and as soon as i draw the inner bridge, sealing the fortress, they just stop, maybe wander a little, but sadly never step on the gobbopult.
afaik the enemy try to find a path into your fortress and follow it, but in the very moment this path is broken, even if the path-breaking item is on the other side of the map, they will stop.
so for now my dream of a fortress without soldier is being shattered...
Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11503 on: March 18, 2011, 08:43:06 pm »

in my experience: no.
i've spent ages creating a magma pool and a drawbridge to (try to)fling invading goblins in it, and as soon as i draw the inner bridge, sealing the fortress, they just stop, maybe wander a little, but sadly never step on the gobbopult.
afaik the enemy try to find a path into your fortress and follow it, but in the very moment this path is broken, even if the path-breaking item is on the other side of the map, they will stop.
so for now my dream of a fortress without soldier is being shattered...

Hmm really? Seems like whenever I pull up my drawbridge they cluster near (generally not to many underneath) the bridge briefly then wander off. Then again I am still playing .18.

Malne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11504 on: March 18, 2011, 11:16:53 pm »

http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/Quantum_foodpile946.jpg

I have 20 pages worth of prepared food in a single pot.  It weighs just under 1.1 tons. Awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 765 766 [767] 768 769 ... 3842