Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108301 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10395 on: February 01, 2011, 05:50:03 pm »

well, this is a weird way for a fort to fail. The area is sectioned off by a nicely dug moat, with a wall for the river. For the most part, nothing can get inside - life is good. made a great  farming area, a functional road with bridges, and all around happiness without the need for soldiers I even had a renewable resource of rope reed (pig tails never took off for some unknown reason).

the ambush's were at first a cause for laughing. they can't get in here, wah ha ha. Oh, they have crossbows. *shrugs*, I got a nice stockpile of food, get inside everyone. my ornimental attack dogs along the road are subsequently slaughtered, *shrugs*, I still got puppies.

kobold theives inside? how long have they been sitting inside, stuck behidn the wall. hah, that's kind've funny. I watch the goblins kill them - life is good again while we happily eat a huge stockpile of yummy things.

Goblin inside? huh? how did he... holy crap. A few dove into the river and climbed against the current into a pond. His friend got stuck and died down there. Anyways this crossbow goblin is running around my fort without any bolts left, terrorizing people but otherwise causing no harm.

So, I naturally get my two legendary miners to chase him around at beat him to death. After a season and a half they were both slaughtered. He keeps running around and... nothing else.

I was going to open the lever to the main bridge gate, but it is being guarded by a squad of ambushers on the other side of the moat. I can't even commit suicide at this point. Instead I just slowly watch my dwarves be terrorized until they all go berserk and destroy everything.

Death not by tantrum spiral, nor magma, nor evil things, but rather by being scared by the look of goblins beyond reach.

Eventually a dwarf did go berserk, destroyed a road and a few other things, then proceeded to, by himself, slaughter my entire fort - including the goblin and puppies. the goblin actually died quite brutally, being beaten to death with bare hands, killing him and drowning him in a now blood-filled pond.

humans came, elves came, got slaughtered by the goblins outside. Those goblins got bored and left. I still have a berserk dwarf preventing me from even opening the front gate.

Ironically the only thing that survived was a caged goblin thief and a 2 year old. The goblin saw the whole thing. I imagine him eventually getting free and telling the story to his friends. "you'd never believe what I saw!".

Oh, the last sane dwarf to die was a 2 year old. She complained of thirst and hunger, forced to endure the loss of a father, mother, and sibling (and endured them rotting). She has seen death and slept on the floor. She slept on the floor, complained of a lack of chairs, and was caught in the rain. She even sustained major injuries recently.

However, she is content. What good things balanced this out? She admired a nice restraint, was satisfied at work, and at some point she was saved during the whole thing. She crawled to the top floor of my only built home, and died in bed.

Wow....

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

durbu

• Bay Watcher
  • Halt! Hammerzeit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10396 on: February 01, 2011, 06:19:48 pm »

I embarked on a 1x1 square (Nanofort) with no blue metal and thus no access to the spoiler guys. I managed to train my 15 dwarves to legendary before the 3rd migrant wave so 1x1 embarks have their peculiarities.

At the time I'm building a huge pyramid of gold with it's top 5 or so levels breaching the water-filled floor of the 2nd cavern. I'll probably use it as a tomb.
"One of the seven just drowned while cleaning saltwater from the seabed."

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10397 on: February 01, 2011, 06:28:22 pm »

Well, my drawbridges were too slow to keep a goblin ambush in.

When the tantrum spiral dies down, there will be much less dwarves inside. I've got 60+ levels of pure stone from the surface to the first cavern level, so I can train a bunch of miners from base recruits as well. There are a few layers of limestone, all three kinds of iron ore, and I've drilled down to the magma sea, and the first level is made wholly of red sand, so this site is way too awesome for me to abandon, I think.

I had way too many dwarves in anyway, so such a purge is a nice thing. I even got a macabre mood out of it, so... experience for me!
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10398 on: February 01, 2011, 08:43:59 pm »

A troll is dual wielding a cap and a glove stolen from the now deceased outpost liason. I really have to get that cavern hole patched.

EDIT : The merchant guard swordsdwarf dispatched it with a blow to the brain. I thank you merchants, both for your -Bronze Spear- and your {{Bismouth Bronze Short Sword}}.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:51:16 pm by JacenHanLovesLegos »
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10399 on: February 01, 2011, 09:08:13 pm »

Just sent out my 32-dwarf army against 8 wounded Nagas and that army is now down to 10 dwarves.  Gotta love FD-IM!  Now to suppress the tantrum spiral...
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10400 on: February 01, 2011, 09:11:23 pm »

A dwarf made an artifact gold dagger  >:(

It is the most valuable artifact thought, despite being made of 4 materials. Probably because it is made of gold.

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10401 on: February 01, 2011, 09:20:56 pm »

A horde of macaques appeared across the river from me. Considering I've filled the entry hallway with traps loaded with steel serrated discs and silver warhammers, I built a bridge specifically to let them in. Monkeys pieces. Everywhere. I have no idea if it worked as planned, using hammer traps to knock survivors of serrated discs back into said discs, because none of them made it more than one tile.

"HEY URIST. WE'RE EATIN' TONIGHT!"
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10402 on: February 01, 2011, 09:33:56 pm »

My pump stacks have been collapsing on me ever since I started this whole magma thing. I think it's because the dwarves are building them in reverse- top down, instead of bottom up with the bottom pump as a stable support. Now, every half hour when I check in there's corkscrews pipes and blocks all over the place.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10403 on: February 01, 2011, 10:10:24 pm »

I'm butchering all caravans that come, since the Illithids, Demons AND werewolves don't want to attack me for whatever reason, even though they have access.

30 soldiers, only a few have any kills. Even less have any notable.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10404 on: February 02, 2011, 01:29:00 am »

After dealing with swarms of naked mole dogs and several blind cave ogres, the population of Tinsabres stands at 84.  10 are in the military, and a total of 13 (including two from the military) are hospitalised.

Siege after siege of White Tigermen, Putrid Blendecs, and Nagas has been repulsed thanks to my magical disappearing bridges (it's only a 4-5 z-level drop, unfortunately.  Next fort will have to be double that, ideally) and I HAVE to collect at least some stuff from out there for atom smashing, lest I die alongside my FPS.

The only thing that's keeping my little disaster of a fort alive right now is that series of bridges.  Let's hope nothing extraordinary happens to incapacitate them...

I have 8 artifacts, yet only one was of any use, an Aluminum Low Boot (which apparently still exists in IM, even though such a thing as Low Boots can't be forged anymore).
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

JonMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10405 on: February 02, 2011, 01:34:47 am »

Thanks a ton, Urist McPETA for adopting every dog the moment you can.  REally?  Six dogs as pets?  I can only presume that you you are specifically cock-blocking my efforts at producing war dogs thanks to some sort of commie-hippy notion that dogs shouldn't be cannon fodder.  If you weren't a legendary carpenter, I'd have atom smashed you a week ago.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10406 on: February 02, 2011, 02:02:40 am »

I have 8 artifacts, yet only one was of any use, an Aluminum Low Boot (which apparently still exists in IM, even though such a thing as Low Boots can't be forged anymore).
Oh the low boot is there to allow compatibility with FD races. If you play without FD support then there're only high boots.

I still havent gotten past 2nd year and my pop stand on 44 people on the fort I started last week. No sieges or anything remotely amusing yet save for buzzards and tigermen. Been too busy doing house cleaning and visiting relatives IRL.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10407 on: February 02, 2011, 03:00:16 am »

Thanks a ton, Urist McPETA for adopting every dog the moment you can.  REally?  Six dogs as pets?  I can only presume that you you are specifically cock-blocking my efforts at producing war dogs thanks to some sort of commie-hippy notion that dogs shouldn't be cannon fodder.  If you weren't a legendary carpenter, I'd have atom smashed you a week ago.

Can't you use the Animal menu to disable the dogs as pets?

JonMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10408 on: February 02, 2011, 03:37:11 am »

Can't you use the Animal menu to disable the dogs as pets?

I thought that you had to mark animals as "Available" in order to make them available for training....no?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10409 on: February 02, 2011, 03:43:08 am »

no.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 3842