Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109668 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9585 on: January 09, 2011, 03:02:50 pm »

Timed my legendary masons (FOUR of them) on how much freaking blocks they could produce.  Dug a stone quarry, placed the shops, assigned respective masons, and left them at it, locking them in with food, drink, and a few beds.
200 blocks in under 100 seconds.  I ran out of space really quick.  ._.

I love masons.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9586 on: January 09, 2011, 03:27:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

in other throatlabour news - DIABLED CHILDREN! the goblin leader rocked up with dozens of trolls and a few hundred underlings. he was a light blue brute with poisionous blood. this blood is harmless if you have shoes. the trouble is, it is everywhere in my main hallway, and my combat-fanatical children ave been running round in the nude a lot. it has accounted for pretty much all my animals and children - LOL. The syndrome starts on the feet and legs, preventing the ability to stand by attacking motor nerves. then you fall over. if you fall over in the blood, you die as it paralyzes the rest of your body and you suffocate. if you dont, you end up with a fever which means a lifetime stay in hospital due to it eating away motor nerves in your legs, upper body, wherever it gets. so, now i have a fort of seriously tooled up and pissed off dwarves, a graveyard full of children, and a hospital full of lifetime cripples, none over the age of 4 yearts old.. outstanding. i lost no soldiers at all (no wounds even!) in the battle, but all my children. why do they persist on getting so close to combat? why were they all naked? natural selection FTW!

It's a blessing from Armok, to remove the FPS wasting children from your fort.

oh god the miasma... my medical staff cant dispose of the dead (by bunging them in the magma sea) quick enough... almost 30 children gone now, and the same number of animals... the disease proceeds to destroy all motor nerves (based on observing the 15 that have been "saved" in hospital - what to do with them... i have a captured troll that could be useful... but this may mean trashing my pretty sweet medical centre....)

anyway. it turns out that most of the kids and pets that have been rotting away in my hallways belonged to my now tantruming military, freshly armed with steel and spoilermetal. it just gets better and better.
This is a blank sig.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9587 on: January 09, 2011, 04:20:09 pm »

Fort's doing rather good now. Only 1 casulty, 2 artifacts so far, and we found caverns!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9588 on: January 09, 2011, 05:14:02 pm »

Tantrums aren't working for me! >C

I don't trian my militia well, hell, they get wounded necks/spines and don't train after 5 minutes of sparring.

I don't have a grand dining hall, and no mood-enchancing stuff. Everyone have a bunch of friends.

Every season, 10 or so dwarves die, and... Tantrum spirals are just not happening D:

What am I doing wrong?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #9589 on: January 09, 2011, 05:19:02 pm »

Tantrums aren't working for me! >C

I don't trian my militia well, hell, they get wounded necks/spines and don't train after 5 minutes of sparring.

I don't have a grand dining hall, and no mood-enchancing stuff. Everyone have a bunch of friends.

Every season, 10 or so dwarves die, and... Tantrum spirals are just not happening D:

What am I doing wrong?
Increase the tension by taking your grand meeting and making the zone only one tile.

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9590 on: January 09, 2011, 05:50:24 pm »

37 out of 40 dwarfs are Ecstatic, the other three are merely Very Happy. 24 of them are idling in the main areas, there's huge quantities of booze, food and all kinds of goods, we have a moat, a wall and drawbridges and are next to the ocean with an underground reservoir filled by the aquifer from above (!), meaning pretty much unlimited supply of everything we'll ever need to fend off pretty much anything that comes at us.

Next project: turning _everyone_ into siege operators and having them practice firing bolts and stones until the cows come home, then when said cows (/goblins/werewolves/illithid soul flayers) actually appear...

"FIRE!!!"

;)

//A
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Now the Great Lord comes.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9591 on: January 09, 2011, 06:41:05 pm »

Draining part of the 1st caverns into the 2nd and 3rd just so I can get back some corpses, one blue metal boulder, and some logs. Later, I'll pierce the magma pipe right above the artificial sea...
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9592 on: January 09, 2011, 06:55:56 pm »

Out of 147 dwarves, only one is really unhappy; the diagnoser who had been my dungeon keeper and whom I removed because she was acting like a little bitch because other people (the starting seven) have cooler rooms. So she threw a tantrum and beat up some clothier, and received a beating herself. She then lay there on the floor for a couple months before going stark raving mad. Even the Captain of the guard is okay with her arrangements at the moment.

I also just had a second emperor dragon attack, a male, and caught it as well. unfortunately it torched the elven caravan and a tame grizzly bear, so it's almost certainly an enemy of our civ even if I do tame it. The merchants also attracted a single goblin ambush squad of archers who were mostly caught in the traps, I only saw one get away alive, and at least one more was shot and killed by the guards over the entrance.
All projects would be progressing rapidly except that the construction of the massive overfort has drained away all our stone supply. The only major stone sources left to use are quartzite, which goes on the exterior walls only, cinnabar which is for details and stairs only, orthoclase and microcline, which are reserved for crafts, and olivine, also reserved for workshop construction. I suppose I have a metric fuckton of raw glass that I shouldn't have made in the first place since I wanted to make furniture and thought that was necessary. I've somehow also run out of wood, as insane as I sound saying that since I've bought out all the wood from the last half dozen caravans. Time to pop the third cavern open, deal with the giant salamander beast down there, and rape the mushroom forests.
And then a stoneworker drops dead from dehydration, in the dining room with access to everything needed to keep her alive. I can only assume she was retarded as she was completely unharmed and had been doing her job admirably. Oh wait she was naked... must have been insane, but when did that happen?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:04:47 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9593 on: January 09, 2011, 07:31:52 pm »

Tinwonders had an interesting winter this "year". Goblins attacked, took out two well-liked farmers and two well-liked military leaders, one of whom was also my legendary leathercrafter. So yeah, I've got a bunch of dorfs flashing little red arrows and throwing fits. FUN!

So now while my miners, masons, and carpenters are doing time-and-a-half to make sure everybody gets nice new bedrooms to chill in, kobolds show up and loot everything they can, and now all the monkeys are having babies...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:52:28 pm by proxn_punkd »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9594 on: January 09, 2011, 07:44:22 pm »

Right after embark, buzzards stole all the food from my wagon.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hauntedmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9595 on: January 09, 2011, 07:54:23 pm »

Built an execution chamber for captured goblins (especially the ones who kidnap my dwarves, nasty snatchers) which involves tossing the goblin down a hole into a roughly excavated room, the only way out being two locked and forbidden doors at the end of a hallway.
What is also down there is two cougars, a leopard, and two tigers I purchased from the elves.
Five predator animals + one goblin captive = dwarf fortress justice for nasty snatchers.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9596 on: January 09, 2011, 07:56:02 pm »

Right after embark, buzzards stole all the food from my wagon.

haha, I mean, sorry?

I'm starting to feel worn down with so many dwarves, while also being very proud of my fort. After this one fails, I think I'm going to change the cap to 50.

WAY too much stone, and too many dwarves tot hink about micromanaging.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9597 on: January 09, 2011, 08:01:49 pm »

Not only did I just find Cotton Candy, I also know how to eat around the stick.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9598 on: January 09, 2011, 10:40:30 pm »

careful, the idiot making the candy put one end of the stick on a solid table and the other on the motor so it's kinda twisted up
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #9599 on: January 09, 2011, 10:48:32 pm »

Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 3842