Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108291 times)

Dr. D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9255 on: December 28, 2010, 01:01:10 pm »

Apparently my military gets off by punching forgotten beasts in the head. The two that have come by to say hello have met their fate that way.

I am amused.
Bombengranadenelementplitzplotzdonnerwettersappermentnochmal!

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9256 on: December 28, 2010, 01:13:03 pm »

I had a fairly major issue the other day when calling in all my dwarves. Two cats, immediately upon entering the fort left a major cloud of miasma behind them. I normally get a few spots of miasma from the eye rot pandemic (How can I talk about this like it's normal?), but this was huge. Checked it out, THE ENTIRE CAT WAS ROTTING. I lost two cats and a kitten this way (Thank you, beautiful syndrome). Within the same run for the dwarves though, one of my star marksdwarves (he still had eyes, and hadn't gotten relegated to hammerdwarf) ran over the bridges, purple cloud in tow and I could only imagine he was screaming in pain. All three cats were outside (So very far from caverns) as well as the marksdwarf. All the deaths happened in the front twenty steps of my gates.They were the only ones affected, and it all happened within the time it took my population to get inside the doors. The eye rot syndrome has disappeared too, although 10% of my dwarves are still missing their eyes.
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9257 on: December 28, 2010, 04:26:06 pm »

Conrad ye lucky fool! My fort is now 4 years old and worth three million dorf bucks (2.89 million being donkey meat! :o) and I haven't seen a single forgotten beast! I've only been besieged twice, and the second time was almost as pathetic since the ninataurs killed the goblins' troll squad and the merchants slaughtered the crossbow gobs, the remaining gobs fleeing and the ninataurs fleeing when their leader fell in a hole and hurt himself. Think I've finally pissed off the orc/cobald caravans since they didn't show up this year. THAT should be fun.

I think I fixed the cloth-to-books reactions so now they shouldn't require magma cleansing. I'm also about to build a Grand Mister to increase the joy and happiness of all.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9258 on: December 28, 2010, 04:31:21 pm »

A ghost is stealing all my turtles.

All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9259 on: December 28, 2010, 04:39:24 pm »

A ghost is stealing all my turtles.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wow, that's pretty evil. Maybe he's in with the elves in the afterlife.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9260 on: December 28, 2010, 04:44:51 pm »

I sent my dorfs for a good ol' hunt with whole military. my guys surrounded a deer so the deer was on narrow neck between two lakes.
my dwarves drew nearer and pushed the deer in the lake. i was like YUSS! good job buddies. i was laughing

recently an elven caravan drowned theirselves in my moats

mcdonaldjord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9261 on: December 28, 2010, 05:22:08 pm »

my 71 dwarfs are all busy chasing cats, am gona put them in a pit so i can release them on any goblins that wana annoying me :D

EDIT oops i just shot my bone doc with a ballista D:

EDIT about 100 cats just died.... my idea didnt work to well
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:19:01 pm by mcdonaldjord »

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9262 on: December 28, 2010, 06:48:26 pm »

I'm now the proud overseer of a legendary dagger user.
My elite wrestler just became legendary dagger..er? Daggerer? :D
Needless to say I was not aware he even had a dagger. But it does explain his knack of killing ambushes rather rapidly for a wrestler :D
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9263 on: December 28, 2010, 07:57:21 pm »

He's a DAGGERLORD! Legendary STICKER!

The dwarves of Gemspike have begun the glass bowl that will form the base of the Grand Arena. The bowl is 20% complete, and will be 20 z-levels tall upon completion...

if it is ever completed. FPS having dropped to 7 is not helping.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9264 on: December 28, 2010, 08:05:40 pm »

Whelp, there goes mylast military dwarf.  Have fun with the tantrum spiraling fortress, Dr. Troll, MD.  (I find it kind of tragic that this troll who has trained so much in the medical field is being drafted into the front lines of the goblin war.)

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9265 on: December 28, 2010, 09:03:30 pm »

I had to start a new fort due to many crashes and fps death in The Lone Fortification.

Behold Rigothild, aka "Crafttightness"! So far, I've gotten the basics mined out and this time I'm following a plan to make pathing easier (and less fps killing!) by making 3 tile wide hallways, one main hallway/staircase, compartmentalized workshops, and stuff closer together. I had a little issue where my brook wouldn't unfreeze and I started thinking it was a bug...only to remember that I had turned off temperature. Let's just say that is fixed now. Got traders at the end of summer and found out that snakemen are still going to be a...problem with other traders. That prompted a the establishment of a militia and more barrels to store all the meat and tallow I happened to gain from this unfortunate accident.

My future plans for Rigothild include deepening the brook this winter, going down for magma, avoiding the aquifer while hunting for magma, setting up a metal industry, a glass industry, and training up more crafters to make trade goods.

This is gonna be FUN.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9266 on: December 28, 2010, 09:31:49 pm »

Never underestimate the cavern-exploring potential of a bunch of idiots chasing around a Draltha.

IzzieBean

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9267 on: December 28, 2010, 11:58:06 pm »

All was going relatively well, the fortress of "Copperclaps" had bloodshed kept to a floor-moppable minimum, at least until the latest diplomat from the human civilization showed up........

Apparently he's a really nice guy, with this tiny small insignificant problem of happening to also be a fire demon. Well, in true diplomatic fashion, he meandered on through towards the fortress. The trees around him were rather quickly set ablaze, but the resident dwarves thought little of this, as SURELY they were snug and safe in their superiorly constructed rooms of stone. At least, they were until resident Baroness decided to attend the local party. The fire demon, being an obliging sort, thought he'd mingle a bit as well - get to know these people before setting forth his trade requests and alliances or whatnot....

Unfortunately, no one really took to his pleasant small talk, as shortly after he'd introduce himself he'd promptly burn off their face (and other fat) with his charismatic heat. Definitely not one to give up - he kept trying, but despite the perks of this no-diet slim-fest of his, all his social partners eventually collapsed into a rather morbid parody of Munch's "The Scream". Despite the obvious sparks that flew between them, even the baroness was hard pressed to keep a smile on her face, unable to concentrate on his chatterings all the while her dwarvenly heft was liquefied. Eventually even the massive booze she had imbibed at the party was unable to keep the pain at bay and she collapsed into an unconscious heap at his feet.

The fire demon diplomat, most unimpressed with this behaviour, left in a huff - reporting to the world at large as he fizzled his way out the front, and leaving a well charred party behind him, that he was VERY "unhappy"!

Hopefully with half the fortress dead (we are a very small little crew, and smaller now!) - this should convince the survivors of the perils of attending these parties, and they'll keep themselves at more dwarvenly pursuits of mining and smelting instead!

AkuroAdennyciia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9268 on: December 29, 2010, 02:13:03 am »

Well, I've played a few forts now, and have decided to craft myself a challenge similar to a few others that I read about on the wiki... Suffice to say, that when I get it done, it should be interesting. I'm trying to go with a bit of a civilized Anthill... Lots of miners, Farmers, and soldiers, with a few individuals that are specialized to allow the others to perform (namely, a mechanic for the farmers, and a leatherworker and some forgeworkers to get basic weapons going).
Miners are simple, farmers are simple. Solders are going to be simple too- Leather armor, wooden shield, whatever they make sword. Could end up being something good, or it could just be silver =P. No doctors too, because if they can't hack it without help, they're no good to the hive.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9269 on: December 29, 2010, 02:35:23 am »

All was going relatively well, the fortress of "Copperclaps" had bloodshed kept to a floor-moppable minimum, at least until the latest diplomat from the human civilization showed up........

Apparently he's a really nice guy, with this tiny small insignificant problem of happening to also be a fire demon. Well, in true diplomatic fashion, he meandered on through towards the fortress. The trees around him were rather quickly set ablaze, but the resident dwarves thought little of this, as SURELY they were snug and safe in their superiorly constructed rooms of stone. At least, they were until resident Baroness decided to attend the local party. The fire demon, being an obliging sort, thought he'd mingle a bit as well - get to know these people before setting forth his trade requests and alliances or whatnot....

Unfortunately, no one really took to his pleasant small talk, as shortly after he'd introduce himself he'd promptly burn off their face (and other fat) with his charismatic heat. Definitely not one to give up - he kept trying, but despite the perks of this no-diet slim-fest of his, all his social partners eventually collapsed into a rather morbid parody of Munch's "The Scream". Despite the obvious sparks that flew between them, even the baroness was hard pressed to keep a smile on her face, unable to concentrate on his chatterings all the while her dwarvenly heft was liquefied. Eventually even the massive booze she had imbibed at the party was unable to keep the pain at bay and she collapsed into an unconscious heap at his feet.

The fire demon diplomat, most unimpressed with this behaviour, left in a huff - reporting to the world at large as he fizzled his way out the front, and leaving a well charred party behind him, that he was VERY "unhappy"!

Hopefully with half the fortress dead (we are a very small little crew, and smaller now!) - this should convince the survivors of the perils of attending these parties, and they'll keep themselves at more dwarvenly pursuits of mining and smelting instead!

Why didn't you raise the drawbridge!? A demon that sets the forests ablaze by walking by absolutely should NOT be allowed inside :o

I want one of those... My fort has had zero problems whatsoever outside a couple sieges and ambushes, which only managed to kill around 25 dwarves total.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 3842