Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108225 times)

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9240 on: December 28, 2010, 02:34:47 am »

I have been feeding all sorts of things to Iton Ototoko The Light Metal, only member of the Fangs of Roughness.

132 kills, 54 notable kills.

He has killed ever mega beast, and forgotten beast single handed.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #9241 on: December 28, 2010, 02:37:09 am »

I am building a vast labyrinth to the entrance of my baron's living compound. The reasons for this is that he's ALWAYS unhappy with the pretentions of his lessers... so I'm going to make the AI have fewer reasons for the hoi polloi to go to the royal dining hall to hang out.

Also, Moslo the Minotaur sent a lesser minotaur to fuck shit up today. He killed about four soldiers but was finally ripped in half by a wrestler. Nobody seems to want to clean up his body.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9242 on: December 28, 2010, 06:08:57 am »

Ok, this one I wont give up after a month RL. I think. Anyway, a 4X7[or was it 8] map shouldn't burn out my frame rate too much compared to previous ones. I generally did 7X7 before with 9-15fps...
I'm going to follow some special rules I made for myself, namely no adding or removing skills on dwarves, they can either do something or not [had to carefully plan for once before embark :o ] so that means whatever immigrates, I have to find a use for. I might add more things depending on how hair pulling this ends up but meh, should be fun either way.

Genesis + rhenaya's thunderbluss addition should make it [more] fun.

Edit:whoops, forgot wood. byebye wagon. Oh yeah I got a cave on the map, this should be fun on demand.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:50:49 am by Frosty_Dorf »

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9243 on: December 28, 2010, 06:34:51 am »

I just made 5 z-levels high, 3 tiles wide overpass over my river. Made entirely of ice. And it is not melting! *adding bug report*
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9244 on: December 28, 2010, 06:51:42 am »

I just made 5 z-levels high, 3 tiles wide overpass over my river. Made entirely of ice. And it is not melting! *adding bug report*

shhhhhhhh, dont let them fix that one.

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9245 on: December 28, 2010, 06:54:34 am »

It will be possible to do it in cold climate. In fact I wanted to make spectacular failure - burrowed all dwarves in the top level, saved, admired how river is melting and... WTF why my ice walls are so durable?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

madciol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9246 on: December 28, 2010, 07:24:20 am »

Constructions currently are not affected by temperature.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9247 on: December 28, 2010, 07:36:04 am »

A jeweller had a strange mood and demanded silk cloth. Something that The Safe Citadel did not have. With no other option, she was ordered locked into the workshop until dead. She couldn't hurt anyone there, right?

That turned out to be a horrific mistake. As anguished cries came from the workshop and blood began to seep under the door, I realised. She was carrying a baby.

The Pillars of Liberty were organised. Led by the militia commander himself and armed with full steel plate and their characteristic steel tower shields and maces, they stormed the workshop and quickly put the rampaging mother down. They were too late to save the child however.

After this event, one of the soldiers in The Pillars became very unhappy. Why, I wondered. He hadn't laid a finger on the rampaging dwarf, in fact he hadn't seen her at all before she had died, he had been lagging behind the rest of the squad. A quick look at his profile told me all I needed to know.

"He has lost a spouse to tragedy recently. He has lost a child to tragedy recently"
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9248 on: December 28, 2010, 08:45:47 am »

Tequil Pridequests the Mastery of Esteem, giantess whose many rampages are told upon the walls of Windslap, was just killed in a duel with a mere soldier with a blue spear.
Are things taking a turn for the better at last? Stay tuned. Or not.
(Hey, it could have turned out much worse. Goddamn soldier managed to get married without telling me.)
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9249 on: December 28, 2010, 09:38:35 am »

Time to drain the arena and send in the military.  I expect heavy losses.  Should be dwarfy!
carve fortification and rain bolts onto the ettin? IM ettins got no damaging ranged attacks. If you can check if it shoots shockwaves through fortification I'd appreciate too.

Shoot, I woulda, but the arena is dug outta sand...  I'll keep an eye out for that, though.

Any particular reason your arena isn't set up for recapture?

Never considered it.  My philosophy is this: if the contestants don't kill each other, drown or burn 'em!

I will begin planning a new arena with fortifications and a recapture system!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9250 on: December 28, 2010, 10:31:28 am »

Idea was: Make areana with rotten corpses so that goblins live in miasma.
Didn't realise: Miasma rises.
FUUUUUUU-
Have to redesign this one then :S
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9251 on: December 28, 2010, 10:41:33 am »

Idea was: Make areana with rotten corpses so that goblins live in miasma.
Didn't realise: Miasma rises.
FUUUUUUU-
Have to redesign this one then :S
Just so you know, miasma doesn't travel in diagonals.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9252 on: December 28, 2010, 11:15:47 am »

My first lost fort ever.  Not my first fort, the first one I've ever lost at the whim of the game.  Genesis Mod post- werewolves-getting-fixed.  It was horrifying.  They washed over my fortress like a wave of fangs and claws and murder.  At least half of the werewolves in that siege must have left with new names.  And that wasn't the worst of it.  I managed to trap them in my rotting fort by salvaging a steel dwarfette woodcrafter and a jade dwarfette carpenter from the wreckage.  Then the carpenter went berserk and the steel killed her with her woodcutting axe.  She was doing fine, built a little cabin out of brick and wood, as I was trying to build a fairly large bridge coverup, and then "An Ambush!  Curse Them!".  Illithids.  Little Miss Olon the Survivor managed to perform very well actually, killing a gith and a normal illithid with no axe training.  However, one of the illithids doomed her.  "A motor nerve in the left foot has been severed!".  I cried.  And then another siege of werewolves arrived and all was darkness.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9253 on: December 28, 2010, 11:30:50 am »

I have started hollowing out four columns, thirteen floors high, each featuring four 2*3 rooms and a 3*3 vertical stairwell. These four columns are set apart from eachother by 40 units and will support the roof of a 60*60*13 entry hall in which I shall host glorious battles between invaders and my fortress guards. My plan is to eventually hollow out a larger section (another 60*60 area) to the east to create a vast 120*60 hall. I just hope I won't run into any caverns because that would require alot of walling up and flooring. Nevermind the fact that I won't be able to smooth and engrave constructed walls.

I guess I will be forced to abandon anyway as my laptop probably can't handle 93000 items. If it does work out I will be able to build an actual fortress entrance inside my fortress.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9254 on: December 28, 2010, 12:15:05 pm »

Clasplake has fallen, and I won't be reclaiming it (not yet, anyway). The entire place is a haven for ghosts that don't appear on the Memorial Engraving list (???). My new fortress's location is being found via a search for flux stone, because I want to give a steel industry a try. Yeah, I've never had a steel industry before or even smelted a bar of it. Iron is usually my main weapon/armour-crafting material. I'm also gonna see what I can do about a fully armed and armoured squad, rather than a ragtag bunch of migrants trying to kill a forgotten beast with their fists.
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 3842