Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107595 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9060 on: December 23, 2010, 02:04:23 am »

Netballs was fun.

Volcano, caverns, goblins, fun.

But tunnelling into the 2nd cavern layer, 6 FB's practically LINED UP to enter my fort.  Killed them all with a few losses (in all my games so far, becoming an Elite Wrestler means you are about to be struck down) but now all the dwarves are dying one by one as the extract of one of those FB's suffocates dwarves randomly.  10 died while I was typing this, and they are scattered all around the entrance.

A very disappointing end to the fort, but I've had worse, and at least we went down fighting.

One strange thing - last Spring, no migrant message at all, not even a "no migrants' message.  Dwarven caravan still visits, so I don't really know, unless the fort isn't tidy enough...

Edit: Tantrums starting, led by the ex-mayor, whom I like a lot, except for her demands for nickel...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:13:14 am by Pukako »

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9061 on: December 23, 2010, 02:09:37 am »

In attempting to pit an Ettin, I learned that the flimsy woodcrafter couldn't seem to keep the hulking semimegabeast under control. Sadly, the woodcrafter had her skill caved in with her own dress.

Fortunately, there are two cage traps between it and the only door out.

EDIT: Unless the dwarves continue to try pitting the ettin each time it gets caught in a cage trap. Good job, guys.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9062 on: December 23, 2010, 03:05:08 am »

Built my first danger room ever.
I feel as if i've cheated, 5 minutes of danger room made my green grass new recruits legendary fighters/shield users and legendary in each of their weapon skills.
Not building those last time this is just ridiculous 5 minutes made them better than a year of killing wolves a few cougars and sparring constantly for my other squad.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9063 on: December 23, 2010, 06:49:35 am »

GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD! THE ULTIMATE SOLDIERS!

That is truly a thing of beauty.

Today I made a fort that uses an askari-based army.

Askari?  Modded race, or simply style of equipment/attack?

In Lovedmachines, the five Red Ampersands have finally moseyed up to the surface.  My harpy problem has been solved, although I feel somewhat bad for the slugmen.  Then again, perhaps putting them out of their hideously deformed misery is for the best.

The local colony of eight ant people have also engaged a Red Ampersand.  I wish them well.  Blow-darts slathered with GCS venom are incredibly effective against Grey Ampersands (then again, so are unarmed farmers and untrained dogs) and they handily dispatched two of them--but I am not sure if the Red variety are even mortal.  May try water trap once farm is set up.  I salute you, !!XXWorker Ant Woman SpearmanXX!!.  Good job on kicking the head off a Grey Ampersand; my regrets on the thing with the engulfing and flames.  Please don't haunt us.

Channel to river is halfway dug.  Sustenance must be 1st priority.  Brief moment of panic when booze did not show up in z-menu; turns out it was still marked for dumping, but is inside the walls.  Embarked with two bronze bars.  Considering forging them into weapons for the migrants and leaving them inside an airlock.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9064 on: December 23, 2010, 10:26:52 am »

My ARMOK!  The ridiculousness continues in Craftedplain.  Now that the hordes of elephants and deer have been walled out, I have only to fear attacks from above.  And I've had to deal with two flights of a couple dozen buzzards.  They were flying through my hatches and doors to my above-ground dining room like they didn't exist.  They stole no less than 100 plump helmets and close to that many turtles.  I had to station my military at the doors in hopes of thwarting them.

While that was happening, I was digging down to the magma sea because I have no magma.  The top of the first layer of cavern is at Z-level 94.  The bottom...  Well, I'm at 44 right now, and I think it might be almost done.  Openness much?  Cavern for the... cavern god?

Edit: I believe I've FINALLY found the bottom at Z-level 29.  Bringing the total height of this cavern to 65 Z-levels.  I see a good goblin-dumping zone!

Edit 2: Oh Armok, it's horrible.  My normal FPS is at about 60, but ever four or five steps, the FPS crashes to zero and Windows 7 tells me it's not responding.  It stays like this for 10 seconds, then comes back.  Rinse, lather, repeat.  Hoping it goes away by itself.  Even tried using cleanmap and whatnot.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:39:52 am by Savolainen5 »
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9065 on: December 23, 2010, 11:11:21 am »

They were flying through my hatches and doors to my above-ground dining room like they didn't exist.
By my beard, did you forget to lock those doors?

Oh Armok, it's horrible.  My normal FPS is at about 60, but ever four or five steps, the FPS crashes to zero and Windows 7 tells me it's not responding.  It stays like this for 10 seconds, then comes back.  Rinse, lather, repeat.  Hoping it goes away by itself.  Even tried using cleanmap and whatnot.
Unless you were starting to run some pump stack, it's a good indication that there's an ambush abound.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9066 on: December 23, 2010, 11:23:58 am »

Part 34 of my LP is up.

You'd think I would have remebered to bring, or at least buy, some cloth of all things. But no, I'm an idiot. Another update with what effectively counts as a death. And to think I was once worried about me playing the game to well and the LP being boring as a result. How foolishly naive.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9067 on: December 23, 2010, 11:43:13 am »

well I always buy out the elven caravan (I don't kill them... I have reasons)

keep up the not so good work!  ;D :D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9068 on: December 23, 2010, 12:05:57 pm »

They were flying through my hatches and doors to my above-ground dining room like they didn't exist.
By my beard, did you forget to lock those doors?

Oh Armok, it's horrible.  My normal FPS is at about 60, but ever four or five steps, the FPS crashes to zero and Windows 7 tells me it's not responding.  It stays like this for 10 seconds, then comes back.  Rinse, lather, repeat.  Hoping it goes away by itself.  Even tried using cleanmap and whatnot.
Unless you were starting to run some pump stack, it's a good indication that there's an ambush abound.

At first, I did forget, but I didn't end up locking the doors for fear of starving and dehydrating those.  The hatches are still locked...

And if there is an ambush, it hasn't come yet...

I recently sent out a woodcutter to harvest the forest.  The deer are apparently its guardians, as they killed three successive ones.  When I sent the military to clear them out, three dwarves were killed as well as two war dogs and even a war ELEPHANT.  rephikul, this Intensifying Mod of yours is SO DWARFY!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9069 on: December 23, 2010, 12:45:45 pm »

The insolent human just refused to trade with me because I offerent him too little
I had him at a profit of 3K.
That's sufficient, he wanted 7K.
I'm currently slaughtering their merchents and guards.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9070 on: December 23, 2010, 12:46:14 pm »

The tale of Tetothdumed, The Lone fortification, continues! (Advanced apologizes for the wall of text. It was a busy night, DF-wise.  :D)

We are now officially a barony! Armok bless Baroness Kib Kubakallas, the legendary stoneworker widow! Winter 253, a group of Varmarin* traders showed up and were quickly bought out with several barrels of prepared meals and some random trickets. They had rimeberries and crowberries, which quickly lead to the tracking down two Master Brewers and making up some really nice, expensive booze. Stocks of both the wonderful, wonderful alcohol and food are well over 7000, due in part to the annual slaughter of any animal that wasn't a pet, a guard animal, or breeding stock. I've even got three kitchens set aside for the highest level cooks to make stews and roasts for trading.

One of the farmers got killed while working on the back roof due to a slight oversight and the sudden removal of the wall he was standing on. Also had a Spike Beetle die of old age and some other critter get squashed in a cave-in. Then a clothier went fey and produced Made Okabam Asol Gim, "Breakopen the Seizure of Twisting", a rope reed fiber head veil.  :-| And with the Spring and Summer of 254 came yet more migrants, pushing my fort up the around 180 dwarfs. This might actually be the first fort I have to actually reach the population cap! 8D I've set every dwarf up as pump operators and placed glass pump stations near the new main hall to start working on making stronger, tougher dwarfs. Unfortunately, even with the making a gypsum stone road and walling in a path that will funnel enemies and traders straight to the traps, having loads of food & booze to store in one of the many larders, as well as the need to cage the latest litter of puppies spawned by the guard dogs, guess what happens? I leave one or two dwarfs idle for more than 30 seconds and BAM! Urist McPampered is throwing at party at the newly finished farm well!

The militia is now 4 squads (3 full squads and one with 6 new immagrants), who have been training on and off at the entrance/training barracks. I've expanded my magma forges and now there's at least enough steel armor to got around. Which only a few of militia seem to be wearing complete sets of... Seriously have a wrestler who if I recall correctly has got on nothing but trousers, two leather caps, some kind of metal high-boot, and maybe a leather cap. If they survive long enough (or do something truly nifty), I think I shall call them "El Santo/La Santa".  Not sure yet if I'm going to try making and using a danger room since I have training dummies modded in for them to practice on. Also, I hope to get a return of the reptile/amphibian people to "trade" with this year. It be nice to make some *snakeman leather hammocks* for the new bedrooms.

On the construction front, I've now got yet another cistern (this time, it's feed via fortification filters!) on my ground level and accessible to my farms. Since the fps keeps waffling between 10-ish and 17, I've been hesitant to start filling the big cistern/cavern flooder. I might just get a wild hair up my butt and turn it into a drowning trap. Which means I need to make more fortifications, put in more flood gates to control the flow and access, then figure out a way to not cause total fps death. Between this and engineering a defensible roof, thing are gonna be FUN.

*Because the Varmarin always bring nice things, I've decided that (once invasions are cut back on) they will be given the fort's protection. Mainly because I've just realized you can't grow rimberries, lingondon berries, or crowberries in Warm biome... (Got plenty of seeds though, just in case.)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9071 on: December 23, 2010, 02:53:02 pm »

Demons. Before we got the tube closed, a demon came up and mauled the mason trying to cover it and they stormed the fort. I mobilized our multi-legendary 20 dwarf military and a war ensued, outnumbered 3 to 1, our dwarves were fighting organic demons, demons made of salt, snow, steam and vomit. Even being extremely weak, those bastards took 7 of our soldiers with them. We survived, but now a tantrum spiral is beginning and about double the demons are coming up the stairs right now.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9072 on: December 23, 2010, 03:16:56 pm »

My moody dwarves keep making Artifact Blowguns.

And oh dear, my first Forgotten Beast has just arrived.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9073 on: December 23, 2010, 04:19:07 pm »

"Udib Morulsazir Zimkel Shos (Udib Pagedbridge the Plains of Wielding), Hammerwarf has bestowed the name Bothonakir (The Murky Rewards) upon a steel war hammer!"
This dwarf having killed two Forgotten Beasts and one goblin just by hitting them once on the head with it, before anyone successfully bruised them, in splendid fits of "Fuck it, I don't have time to deal with this shit". Murky rewards for wasting his time indeed.
Next step: getting them buncha soldiers to legendary.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9074 on: December 23, 2010, 04:47:25 pm »

3 weapon traps
6 masterwork steel giant axe balde
9 masterwork steel enormous corkscrews
9 masterwork steel serrated steel discs
6 masterwork steel menacing spikes
3 masterwork steel spike balls.
No one is fucking with my front door XD
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 3842