Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107318 times)

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9090 on: December 23, 2010, 11:31:22 pm »

So my fortress Gemspike is in it's fourth year, 160 dwarves under a new baron, pump stack just got finished so now the reservoir is full and real projects can begin. Suddenly, a vile force of darkness appears! The dwarves aren't impressed, this is the third siege the goblins have attempted. But what's this blinking pink-n-purple goblin now?

Båx Atuomngo, Master.

Well, damn, this should be interesting. Prepare the defenses, man the ballistae, get the marksdwarves in the roost and check the dogbombs! Let's get a count of the goblins... wait, the master doesn't show up here now... Where did he go? Check where he spawned...

And there lay his corpse. Checking the combat log reveals this:

The master attacks The Goblin Maceman but He jumps away!
The Goblin misses The Goblin Maceman!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Goblin in the left lower arm with his ({copper morningstar}), fracturing the bone and shattering the left elbow's bone through the ({giant cave spider silk cloak})!
Melbil •nuliden, Milker cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Goblin in the left hand with his ({copper morningstar}), fracturing the bone through the ({cave spider silk left glove})!
A ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The Goblin gives in to pain.
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Goblin in the head with his ({copper morningstar}), tearing the muscle and tearing the upper spine's nervous tissue through the ({cave spider silk hood})!
A tendon in the upper spine has been torn!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Goblin in the head with her ({copper flail}), bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!

It would appear that the master, upon entering the fortress region, turn to one of his followers and, without even carrying a weapon, went to attack him, to which the offended maceman beat him around for a while before another goblin brained the former Master in one shot.

That's all fine by me, but there are still 49 goblins, 5 trolls and 16 elk birds heading for my little 4.6-million dwarfbuck hole in the ground. Let's hope this goes my way.
Dwarfbucks + Material value + Materials + Lots of thrower/archers = TIS RAINING MONEH.
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

Mystery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9091 on: December 24, 2010, 12:15:40 am »

Is chirstmas time. Locked off the workshops so everyone gets a day off!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: December 24, 2010, 12:20:33 am »

So the siege wasn't as exciting as I'd like. Most interesting part was when the Axelord slipped past my weapon traps and tried to move into my fortress, which wasn't too far away. Unfortuneately, he hit the last defense: a pressure plate (one of two) linked to my dogbomb, a cage of 56 war dogs. He hits it, they all fly out and charge him. Poor bastard did manage to kill two and injure a third before they pushed him into the !!decorative!! magma channels that flank my entry halls.

While all that was happening the rest of the siege was being bludgeoned to death by the aforementioned weapon traps, specifically some 660 large serrated green glass discs in weapon traps, 10 per. I suppose I could make them out of silver or something but that leaves goblin salsa everywhere.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Kerosene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9093 on: December 24, 2010, 12:53:15 am »

Syndrome argggggggh! For whatever reason, my main entrance is nearly completely covered in forgotten beast goo. I'm not sure which FB it was, but at least a couple of them were poisonous and cause my dwarves to spray blood from their feet, usually dying before getting to the hospital. It's claimed about 30-40 dwarves and at least as many pets, including my mayor (and broker/recordkeeper) and duchess (the second to last of my starting seven) back to back. I installed a mist generator between the cavern levels and the main fortress to try to clean them off, and I think it stopped the first Plague, but now a second Plague is upon Oiledanguishes (a name which seems far too appropriate now). I'm currently trying to install a mist generator over the main gate to hose it down - barring that, I'll have to pump water or magma up to the surface to thoroughly scrub it out. It's a tribute to the strength of this disease that it's killed far more of my dwarves than actual combat so far.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9094 on: December 24, 2010, 01:04:50 am »

I'm building a drowning trap, the only inhibitor is that the stream freezes from Opal 1st to Opal 24th.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9095 on: December 24, 2010, 01:06:22 am »

Just killed my first Forgotten Beast (Hammer Lord knocked the head off of a Brown Zircon Quadraped after he and the rest of my military fractured every part of its body), now waiting for the elves to show up so I can buy some animals to supplement my military in the next fight.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9096 on: December 24, 2010, 01:10:28 am »

I'm building a drowning trap, the only inhibitor is that the stream freezes from Opal 1st to Opal 24th.

Build an underground cistern.

So long as all water is underground, it won't freeze.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9097 on: December 24, 2010, 01:17:40 am »

I had my squad of five "soldiers" chase around a... Draltha?  Who somehow wondered into my fort.  At first it cautiously crept out of the nook it had found into my main fortress, until it saw someone.  Then it bolted down a corridor, hid there for awhile, then slowlyyy crept out again.  Eventually I sent my soldiers after it. 

Ten minutes later, after chasing it around the ENTIRE FORTRESS, one of my soldiers finally managed to actually hit it.  It promptly bit his foot off and continued running.  I felt really bad for the thing, I didn't really want to kill it but I didn't have any cage traps at the ready either.  It was saddening.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #9098 on: December 24, 2010, 04:02:37 am »

I just managed to splatter my sheriff by raising a drawbridge. It happens every time.

Also, my glassmaker just died of thirst (he went insane because he failed to build an artifact) in my ultra-crowded meeting hall. tantrum spiral incoming...

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9099 on: December 24, 2010, 05:21:15 am »

I just managed to splatter my sheriff by raising a drawbridge. It happens every time.

if that'S an indoor draw bridge .. try to anticipate the flight angle  and prepare  in that way by creating a nice open spaceway to launch certain subject into open air :)

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9100 on: December 24, 2010, 05:47:41 am »

starting a new fort :)
anyway to guarantee goblin civ's in the area?
 This would be my third fort running that's never seen a seige, I've been playing this a month or two and I want a siege ffs :L
untamed/sinister means elephants right? I kinda want those aswell :D
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9101 on: December 24, 2010, 05:51:39 am »

On the embark screen where you choose where you are going to embark press tab a few times and the right hand panel will show all nations that will be in contact with you there, it could be goblins were wiped out during worldgen or you have been embarking on a continent where they are not present.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9102 on: December 24, 2010, 06:09:03 am »

This would be my third fort running that's never seen a seige, I've been playing this a month or two and I want a siege ffs :L

copy the whole evil part in the entity default raws  and give the new  version another name like evil2 .. it enhances the gobbos .. but carefull with 3+ gobo civs   at the same time you risk a worldwide dieing of all other civs in long genning times

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9103 on: December 24, 2010, 08:10:23 am »

copy the whole evil part in the entity default raws  and give the new  version another name like evil2 .. it enhances the gobbos .. but carefull with 3+ gobo civs   at the same time you risk a worldwide dieing of all other civs in long genning times
how about just play FD instead?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9104 on: December 24, 2010, 09:06:33 am »

My fortress was just attacked by goblins.
I tried to shut them out by pulling the lever that closed the floodgate, but someone's clothes were in the way, so the goblins got inside and got past all of my traps.
20-30 dwarves were slaughtered in the resulting fight, with many more to come due to insanity and berserking dwarves.
The dead was also coming back to haunt the fortress.
So yeah, we were pretty much screwed.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 3842