Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105348 times)

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8715 on: December 12, 2010, 10:18:46 am »

Part 24 of my DF LP is up

I got 41 dwarves and a gem cutter ain't one of them. But of course there's already multiple soap makers fucking about, because that is the most useful profession on the planet. I hope they enjoyed their life of soap making, because it won't help them much in their new roles as designated masons and haulers.

Also artifact cabinets make me sad, but I suppose its better than an artifact thong or something equally absurd.

Soap Fort is GO!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8716 on: December 12, 2010, 10:36:00 am »

Cyclops Titan arrives!
"Crap, all of my defenses are wreckable. Man the ballistae!"
A thief is in the fortress!
"He'll run out... right into the cyclops..."
A vile force of darkness has arrived!
"This is too good to be true."

It was better. The kobold ran out, got the cyclops' attention, then ran straight for the siege party. The gobbo bowmen shot the kobold down first, the proceeded to feather the cyclops to death. Now they just have to see how my weapon traps taste.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8717 on: December 12, 2010, 10:50:16 am »

I'm currently hacking down every tree for miles in all the caverns and the surface because I don't have any fuel for my adamantine industry.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8718 on: December 12, 2010, 11:21:41 am »

MAGMA
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8719 on: December 12, 2010, 11:27:08 am »

I'm currently hacking down every tree for miles in all the caverns and the surface because I don't have any fuel for my adamantine industry.
If you have adamintine you should have magma.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8720 on: December 12, 2010, 11:35:51 am »

Apparently back in the early days of the fort one of my entirely unskilled utility masons apparently got lucky when I was churning out cheap puddingstone furniture, skilled up and made not one but two masterwork cabinets. I know this because as part of the move I replaced the puddingstone cabinets with nice new marble ones and dumped the old ones into the atom smasher. The dwarf who made them instantly started a fist fight with the first dwarf he saw, a woodcutter.

Somehow, this ex-utility-mason-now-legendary-speardwarf somehow managed to lop off both of the woodcutter's hands before being apprehended by the captain of the guard … who promptly got run through with a spear on the way to the prison cells.

So now this speardwarf is in jail for half a year for murder, and he's tantrumming in his cell. I'm tempted to lock it out of pure spite, because now I'm getting spammed with "Urist McNoHands cancels bloody everything: I gots no hands" messages and it's pissing me off.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8721 on: December 12, 2010, 12:05:17 pm »

Kill McNoHands.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8722 on: December 12, 2010, 12:21:04 pm »

MAGMA
If you have adamintine you should have magma.
I didn't feel like building a small fortress down by the magma so the metalsmiths wouldn't have to do a journey to the center of the Earth on a daily basis. It doesn't matter, because I abandoned because of too much ghost lag and too many ghost messages.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8723 on: December 12, 2010, 12:24:27 pm »

I am addicted to magma forges.  I am building a surface fortress.  Thus begins my first ever pump stack.

I have known the concept of a pump stack for at least a year.  I know how they work, I understand how they are built.  But I have never actually had the need to build one. 

I have enough hydro-kinetic power to power 72 screw pumps, my blind estimate based on the depth of the bottom of the map puts the number of needed pumps at about 38. All I need is enough magma  at the surface for a few magma smelters and a forge, so it doesn't need to run constantly. My stone quarry hit magnetite and coal at multiple locations so I have enough iron to make the pumps magmaproof.  The design is designated, now I just need to hope something horribly fun doesn't happen regarding my design and hope that any caverns I encounter won't be too hard to go around.

I will be proud of my first ever pumpstack.  I am putting my chance first attempt success at 40% and chance of complete catastrophic fortress ending failure at about 20%

EDIT: Hm kobolds... the fortress is placed well within my civ's boundaries so I saw that suitable RP to turn off invasions for a few years while I build the structures, but it doesn't seem to be working.  I have a military, but the defensive structures of a human hamlet.  Guess I'll need to stop what I'm doing to build a wall.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:31:36 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8724 on: December 12, 2010, 01:19:55 pm »

well, the goblins rocked up to crestpaddles. alas, only 3 of them, and poor efforts at snatchers were they. one was cleaved into 5 equal sized bits by a trainee axedwarf. the other two were captured, so a small slaughterhall was built. a squad was stationed in there to kill them. as i did this, one of the dwarves in this squad dropped thier baby - it had grown into a child. this child dwarf then joined in with the wailing on the goblins - an infant dwarf punching a crippled, bleding and vomiting goblin in the leg so hard it bruises... i lolled so very hard. he now has dabbling skill in striking, fighting and dodging. not bad methinks. apparently in the same wailing, a swrodsdwarf with professional biter skill latched on to a goblin midriff and shook it around violently. who needs a sword when you have teeth, apparently.

so, now to decide - what to do with the 3 copper masks - use them instead of a leather cap under iron helmets, or recycle them into bolts...

might make some mad ballista maze now before an abush or siege.
This is a blank sig.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8725 on: December 12, 2010, 01:26:06 pm »

I just started a fortress in the caverns, it's all going good so far. But a tribe of fish men are staring at me through the fortifications, they all have blowguns with poison on the darts. Some are just annoying, like cave spider venom, and some are possibly deadly like helmet snake venom.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8726 on: December 12, 2010, 02:09:22 pm »

I'm set for greatness; I've recieved in the last two migrant waves 2 high master weaponsmiths and two high master cheesemakers (a dorfs best friend!), a miner, and a talented engraver. There was also a high master ambusher, high master soaper, and a high master thresher. Most people that aren't high master in something are still highly skilled or otherwise useful, and my population is now up to 39. I intend to begin producing weapons at the magma forges, buckets and barrels and beds en masse, and set up an awe-inspiring meeting and dining hall including waterfalls straight from the aquifer overhead. The goblins won't be an issue either with the trap corridor I've designed, assuming I produce enough weapons to use it effectively.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8727 on: December 12, 2010, 06:04:07 pm »

There's a friggin' bronze colossus that appeared
Milol Battleclash the Renown of Danger
this thing appears on several engravings after slaughtering so many things
WHY ME
sending all the military, and getting ready to ragequit and reload if they fail.
WHYYYYY
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8728 on: December 12, 2010, 06:13:52 pm »

There's a friggin' bronze colossus that appeared
Milol Battleclash the Renown of Danger
this thing appears on several engravings after slaughtering so many things
WHY ME
sending all the military, and getting ready to ragequit and reload if they fail.
WHYYYYY
I read that as booze colossus for some reason.
Lead it into a dark room below a magma chamber. Melt that monstrosity to the ground!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8729 on: December 12, 2010, 06:17:49 pm »

Since they are so heavy, if you forced one to fall somehow (cave-in ring, perhaps?) and made it drop about 10 z-levels it would shatter since it would drop like a block of lead.
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 3842