Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105985 times)

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8580 on: December 06, 2010, 06:11:09 pm »

*sigh* well Bronzeblazes is no more. Not because of goblins, or fps, but becuase I keep crashing in the late fall of the 3rd year 

I think for my next fort I shall build a massive green glass pyramid over a pit.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8581 on: December 06, 2010, 11:51:02 pm »

Part 20 of my LP is up.

I've never felt pride in my military before. They always kept doing something incredibly stupid and that made me hate them. But the Immortal Rags just continue to impress me, even though they mostly lack weapons and armor. I really don't feel threatened by most of the local wildlife now.

Don't really have that much to say though. I really hope the elves actually brought something worthwhile. In my other game, they've been bringing me crap.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: December 07, 2010, 01:14:15 am »

I've decided I'm going to go all-out heretical undwarfy and make a natural obsidian fortress... with DFhack. Above ground. :-[ (Though technically it might be underground since it's natural-cast obsidian, but last I knew the game didn't recognize that, right?)

I don't think I'm going to get bored of the world I genned for it either;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not even slightly... Now how did a mermaid end up in the mountains with succubi?! And a satyr, as well.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:17:35 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8583 on: December 07, 2010, 07:36:23 am »

Part 20 of my LP is up.

I've never felt pride in my military before. They always kept doing something incredibly stupid and that made me hate them. But the Immortal Rags just continue to impress me, even though they mostly lack weapons and armor. I really don't feel threatened by most of the local wildlife now.

Don't really have that much to say though. I really hope the elves actually brought something worthwhile. In my other game, they've been bringing me crap.
Engravings of himself all over the place? Severe paranoia? You've invented dwarven Stalin!
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8584 on: December 07, 2010, 07:45:43 am »

I recently decided that if a mayor is to lead a fortress in times of peace, he or she must also lead armies in times of war. Therefore, I appointed my mayor as Militia Commander. One battle later, and I have a new mayor! She likes cages and chains, okay, kinky, I can roll with that... creeping eye leather, we got tons of that... elves for their grace, billion, slate- waitaminute.

Okay, so she hasn't banned murdering elf merchants yet, and I don't know if anything will come of this, but if something does, I'm afraid she'll have to go.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: December 07, 2010, 09:03:25 am »

She likes cages and chains, okay, kinky, I can roll with that

elves for their grace

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: December 07, 2010, 09:23:35 am »

elves for their grace

Now that you mention it, yes. It helps that I've put a gold chain on either side of the mayor's bed, hoping it'd give her some good moods. It totally wasn't meant to be sexual before, but...

Anyway, the mayor might be dead. My fortress just had a major clusterfuck that ended with a lot of dwarves dead. First, a forgotten beast showed up. After that three-tailed scorpion made of fire, a newt with a trunk is kind of underwhelming, but the thing had deadly dust, so it proved quite an annoyance. After my squads insisted on approaching it one by one, as if waiting in line to get their asses kicked, I ordered them all inside the fortress, hoping I could lock the beast outside, and it'd get bored and wander away. So while it was working it's way up to the surface, the human caravan arrives, and I'm all "Holy shit, human traders are badasses, they'll kill this thing." but then they just stood there, then two goblin ambushes showed up and killed them. Somehow, the forgotten beast died (it might not have been immune to it's own dust, if that's possible. it's the best I can figure what happened). And then the goblin seige was pretty much broken by then. So my dwarves got to go out and collect the human trader's stuff (they rarely steal from dead humans, do to my previously mentioned "Do Not Fuck With The Human Traders" policy).

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8587 on: December 07, 2010, 09:53:17 am »

Outpost Nationarrow has started out. Seven dwarves, all ready for this new adventure. These dwarves have seen things done the human way, and decided it's a much more delicate and beautiful way to do things. No cave adaption for these guys.

The map took a little while to find, but I ended up with something awesome. It's entirely flat and the river has an empty z-level above it making it some sort of a valley river.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 09:54:51 am by Wiro »

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: December 07, 2010, 10:34:34 am »

elves for their grace

Now that you mention it, yes. It helps that I've put a gold chain on either side of the mayor's bed, hoping it'd give her some good moods. It totally wasn't meant to be sexual before, but...

Anyway, the mayor might be dead. My fortress just had a major clusterfuck that ended with a lot of dwarves dead. First, a forgotten beast showed up. After that three-tailed scorpion made of fire, a newt with a trunk is kind of underwhelming, but the thing had deadly dust, so it proved quite an annoyance. After my squads insisted on approaching it one by one, as if waiting in line to get their asses kicked, I ordered them all inside the fortress, hoping I could lock the beast outside, and it'd get bored and wander away. So while it was working it's way up to the surface, the human caravan arrives, and I'm all "Holy shit, human traders are badasses, they'll kill this thing." but then they just stood there, then two goblin ambushes showed up and killed them. Somehow, the forgotten beast died (it might not have been immune to it's own dust, if that's possible. it's the best I can figure what happened). And then the goblin seige was pretty much broken by then. So my dwarves got to go out and collect the human trader's stuff (they rarely steal from dead humans, do to my previously mentioned "Do Not Fuck With The Human Traders" policy).

That's a shame. Perma-estatic mayors caused by insane elves in billion cages are always a good thing.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: December 07, 2010, 10:46:07 am »

elves for their grace

That's a shame. Perma-estatic mayors caused by insane elves in billion cages are always a good thing.

Don't worry, she is indeed alive! And she will have her caged elves upon the arrival of those delightfully stupid hippies who keep assuming their caravans are getting lost somehow.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8590 on: December 07, 2010, 11:05:27 am »

Just started up 40d for a nostalgia trip, and I got to remember how much I loved that version.  I genned a new world and embarked on my first river by a haunted mountain with trees.  Unfortunately, I was stuck on the plains side of the river, so I started to build a bridge with my only wood.  Sadly, I did not notice the carp, sea lampreys, and pike in all the ponds and the river.  My carpenter saw a pike and freaked the hell out.  He (I guess) threw my ONLY AX at it, blinding it and causing it to pass out every five seconds.  I did not notice this until after I built the bridge with most of my wood.  So I have about four beds as of now.  Also, my fisherman decided to stop fishing in Blind Pike Pond and went over to where the carp spawn.  And so there were six.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: December 07, 2010, 01:25:05 pm »

Flagmine
15th Galena, 1056
We finally got the screw pump components built and assembled. I had it installed in the count's mausoleum to remind him it is for his own good. He even uses it!
Looking him over, he seems to be back down to very fat, so it looks like the exercise is working.

Work on the waterfall entrance is proceeding. All of the floor grates that actually go under the falls are complete after countless cancelations, so the rest should go smoothly.
We have been running at 0 idlers which I believe is mostly due to hauling materials to the work site. The population cap has been increased slightly to hopefully speed things up.

A new artifact has been constructed.
Strifeurges, a platinum mace weighing 17 and worth 141600.

Strifeurges is a platinum mace. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with elephant bone and encircled with bands of green glass. This object menaces with spikes of rope reed fiber. On the item is an image of two maces in platinum.

On the item is an image of Urvad Dutydaggers the dwarf and a clear glass grate in basalt. Urvad Dutydaggers is raising the clear glass grate. The artwork relates to the masterful clear glass grate created by the dwarf Urvad Dutydaggers for the Post of Depressions at Flagmine in the late summer of 1054.

EDIT: 6th of Sandstone, 1056
One of the farmers went fey and has just finished making Climaxsorrow.
Weighing 2, but having a value of 244800, Climaxsorrow is an aluminum battle axe.
All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with cinnabar, studded with aluminum, decorated with elephant leather and palm and encircled with bands of bull shark leather. This object menaces with spikes of fire opal and palm.
On the item is an image of Climaxsorrow the aluminum battle axe in giant tiger leather.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:44:43 pm by McDwarf »

Skadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: December 07, 2010, 03:45:41 pm »

I got my first FB just a couple of minutes ago. Jag giant armadillo made of petrified wood and has a deadly dust. (does that mean he has a deadly fart?). And i found out that man mayor apreantly likes carp for "their protruding mouths". If i had any on my map i would probably let him meet some.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: December 07, 2010, 06:18:02 pm »

somehow a random stray trap has caught a giant eagle.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: December 07, 2010, 06:26:35 pm »

1 1/2 years in and moods haven't been very kind to me or to the denizens of Boltstorches.

The first mood was the possession of a migrant woodcrafter, yielding a 6000 db maple figurine. Use-fucking-less.

The second was a secretive mood hitting one of my founders, a stonecrafter. Who was already a Master Stonecrafter. And I get a hematite ring that's encrusted with hematite, menaces with spikes of hematite and has an image of some random jabberer... in hematite. FUUUUUUU--

Third mood: A fourth-wave migrant milker with no moodable skills gets possessed and produces a cedar ring worth 19.2K db. *facepalm*

The mood woes are never-ending...
Fourth mood: A fey mood on a clothier resulting in Dumid Kilrudkacoth, Mouthrock the Bronze Confinement, a cave spider silk coat.
Fifth mood: Another possession, another useless unbuildable artifact, a rope reed loincloth (that of course menaces with spikes of acacia).
Sixth mood: Secretive mood of a siege engineer who... CLAIMS A CLOTHIER'S WORKSHOP?!?!? MOTHERFUCKER! All of his moodable skills were at Novice, but he had more experience in Glassmaking. I already have a legendary glassmaker, but then again, I ALREADY HAVE A LEGENDARY CLOTHIER TOO.

I need to anoint him with magma.   
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 3842