Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105708 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8610 on: December 08, 2010, 10:26:24 pm »

There's a big bird FB skulking around the second cavern layer, it CAN probably destroy a grate I put to block it out .. so I should take care of it but there are ogres and "plump helmet men" down there, whatever those things are.

I don't have time with that yet since the goblins will visit pretty shortly and I need to get traps and walls up.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8611 on: December 08, 2010, 10:32:29 pm »

There's a big bird FB skulking around the second cavern layer, it CAN probably destroy a grate I put to block it out .. so I should take care of it but there are ogres and "plump helmet men" down there, whatever those things are.

Plump helmet men are awesome. They're walking plump helmets, the perfect pet for any dwarf. You must rescue them from the giant bird and ogres.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8612 on: December 08, 2010, 11:56:33 pm »

They also produce delicious 'wine' when modded carefully.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8613 on: December 09, 2010, 12:02:35 am »

I accidentally stole from a Dwarven caravan in my new fort.  I was so guilt ridden that I had to abandon.  Basically I was trying to hastily build up walls, so when the first caravan came around I threw down a Depot.  After trading, I broke the Depot down, but...  when they traders left, they left behind all their items.  Didn't feel right to go from my near-dead, completely starving and tense dwarves to well armored, well fed ones...  Bah.  I have a conscious and I play Dwarf Fortress, I've obviously not played enough.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8614 on: December 09, 2010, 12:17:42 am »

I have reclaimed my artifact after 4 tries.  The first three produced a gauntlet and two low boots, but after using the autosave I got before the crash I have salvaged something just as cool.  Its less cool because its a set of greaves instead of a mail shirt.  On the other hand, instead of a quern, blazing suns, 3 suns, and a moon, this artifact adamantine greaves has pictures of an unnamed dwarf killing a named human, an unnamed dwarf killing a named goblin, the ascension of the queen, and three blazing suns.  Overall, it was an improvement, and worth the time spent spent savescumming, since i let DF run in the background each time and I managed to get a programming project done in the ~hour that it took.  Again, I justify doing this because my game crashed after an awesome artifact, and I had a convenient save on hand.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8615 on: December 09, 2010, 01:58:05 am »

Early Winter of 505 in the County of Ringquest, pop. 176   fps 17(13)

We've been raised to a county, and our Baron promoted to Count. He immediately declared that he needed a much nicer office, and some improvements on his tomb, and an extra cabinet for his collection of bismuth blocks.

The cavern entrance attracted a gremlin, who was shooed off back into the depths of the caverns, and also a giant rat. The rat hung around the gate, peeking in on the training soldiers, but not causing any distruptions. So we let him stay, and stay he did for a season. When winter approached, he headed back into the darker corners of the caverns, perhaps to find a warm steam vent.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:34:19 am by AngleWyrm »

EnDSchultz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8616 on: December 09, 2010, 02:11:44 am »

It was a bloody massacre.

Boatmobbed has been mobbed. A vile force of darkness attacked us. Per procedure, we locked down the fort, closed the main gates. But on the upper works there was one -corner- that was open. It didn't appear open, but alas, dozens of invaders poured through the breach. Goblins and trolls alike, my ten or so soldiers valiantly attempted to push them back, but were all slain. THe fortress was in disarray, trolls were pouring down the stairwell into the main fortress. Citizens scattered in all directions. A few valiant Dwarves stood up against the attackers, and in the end managed to drive them back. But now there are two remaining trolls, which cannot be killed. The recruits I've drafted as an emergency measure haven't picked up weapons, and I haven't managed to get them to. So the remaining trolls are incapacitated, but despite many kicks and punches by the brave recruits, they're not dying. They're causing much distress in the fort and their presence is stalling recovery efforts.

Of 110 Dwarves, only 43 still live. All our legendary miners are dead, all our administrators are dead, and many other crucial members of the fortress.

Images attached. The breach point was the upper left corner of the fort in the first picture. You can see the battle that raged there. The breach point has since been sealed so you can't actually see it anymore.

Edit: Fixed images
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 02:17:57 am by EnDSchultz »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8617 on: December 09, 2010, 02:15:34 am »

Edit: nm, you seem to have figured out the image problem.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8618 on: December 09, 2010, 02:51:06 am »

A minotaur attacked, got distracted by a fisherdwarf (who was unnaturally fast) and meandered directly into the cage traps. The entire scenario lasted less than 10 seconds, it was lovely.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8619 on: December 09, 2010, 03:18:06 am »

My dwindling military is unable to fight off zombie camels anymore. I still don't have a barracks or a hospital. I'm not sure how this'll work out. My fortress has water 1 season out of the year since I'm in a freezing haunted desert, and I'm hoping we can survive off the fish from that season plus the plump helmets I'm farming off like 8 squares of farmland that I managed to bucket-irrigate. Booze is in short supply, but we have bedrooms finally so everyone should be remotely happy. Unless one of the six people that died recently was their friend.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8620 on: December 09, 2010, 04:06:28 am »

Only in Dwarf Fortress does the concept of "zombie camels" actually turn out to be far more horrific than funny.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #8621 on: December 09, 2010, 07:45:18 am »

ARMOK DAMN IT.

Fuck 31.18. I turned OFF save compression and turned ON backups. Has that stopped it from corrupting my saves and not saving a backup? No! >:( And I'd just gotten my magma forges working, too...
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8622 on: December 09, 2010, 11:38:38 am »

OH MY ARMOK SHINY BLUE METAL IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL
I've never seen it before
I-I think I'm gonna cry.
... must make axes. And helms. And spears. And breastplates. And stuff. And train that buncha armed morons to legendary status.
... whoa, it's at -88. Never dug that deep before, either. Hope my dwarfs like jogging because I'm not making access to the caverns any faster/easier... I still remember Mothram, gecko made of fire, and its two buddies. *shudders*
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8623 on: December 09, 2010, 01:57:20 pm »

save right now dude

otherwise you might be sorry...  ;D

ON TOPIC: I am going on in my fort...
Spoiler: MAJOR SPOILER (click to show/hide)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: December 09, 2010, 03:22:19 pm »

Flagmine
2nd Obsidian, 1056
Recently, Monom proclaimed himself duke of the Post of Depressions.
Shortly after, a gem setter went fey and made him a crown called The Named Nettles.
It has been appraised at 109200.

The Named Nettles is a fire opal crown. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of native aluminum and menaces with spikes of fire opal, morion, palm, blind cave bear leather, and lignite. On the item is an image of two dwarves in morion. On the item is an image of The Roasted Sun the rose gold pick in palm. On the item is an image of a tall cross in palm.
On the item is an image of Ineth Furnacemirrored the dwarf and dwarves in pig iron. Ineth Furnacemirrored is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf Ineth Furnacemirrored to the position of queen of The Stoked Furnaces in 1018.

While gathering materials for this project, the gem setter called for logs, and I didn't have any. I ordered some trees cut down, but after the tree was cut, she stayed in her workshop. Apparently, wood hauling jobs have priority over moody dwarves, because as soon as I removed the wood stockpile, out she ran to fetch some wood.
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 3842