Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106612 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8190 on: November 22, 2010, 10:35:06 pm »

I find myself growing bored of Wipedchannels. Perhaps I will do my own LP, as well.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: November 22, 2010, 11:20:34 pm »

Well fuck. I made a duplicate of Reveredtour and had my militia fight some more zombies. They disappeared as well. This basically means that one of the potential dangers for my embark is completley negated now. Frustratingly, I don't know what the cause is either.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: November 23, 2010, 01:14:39 am »

If only I could figure out how to open them from inside, cages could be used for orbital insertion. I just dropped a hoary marmot over 50 z-levels and the wooden cage left him without a scratch.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: November 23, 2010, 01:22:53 am »

Amallikot, "Taughtinked", a lion bone chain

This is a lion bone chain. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.

Awesome. I don't care if it's undecorated, I get to chain up my war lion at the entrance to my fortress! With the bones of his dead father!
くコ:彡

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: November 23, 2010, 01:32:54 am »

A Giant Olm just attacked one of my peasants and ripped her ear off with his teeth, but she killed it.

She killed the Mike Tyson of Giant Olms with her fists!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: November 23, 2010, 01:36:03 am »

Sizzlebridge is finished - the goblins and trolls were entertainment, but two FB's at once, while I accidentally managed to release ALL the caged beasts, finished it off.  I dug out a hole in the magma pipe it was hard up against just as the first tantrums started, because I knew it wasn't going to be good.  And all but one of my legendary miners were killed by a beast composed entirely of vomit.  Not nice.

Junglehalls is boring so far - no magma - first cavern is mostly water - no goblins, although I hope they will start showing up soon.  Next time I'm going for an evil/terrifying/haunted embark, although last one had normal animals, just zombie versions...

Just deconstructed the Trade Depot under the dwarven traders - too argumentative.  This may not end well....

Edit - a weaver has just given birth while in a fey mood.  Hope the baby turns out normal...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 01:53:03 am by Pukako »

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: November 23, 2010, 01:47:38 am »

The village of Gulfcraft has started to grow on me. I declare this my ongoing fort until fun trully happens.

Most recently I've taken revenge on Rhesus Macaques, capturing several and slaughtering the rest. It was a satisfying slaughter after they stole from my fortress in the first year.

My home irrigation is nearly finished for all of my crafters, with each having their own dining room (with well), bedroom, crafting station, and supply room. The floors are low priority, so they are all sand still.

With my advanced Moat (TM) and trap combination, I've also captured 4 groundhogs, 6 wolves, and 4 one-humped camels, and I'm about to start breeding dogs and camels for meat. I have no idea what to do with the wolves, so they'll sit in cages until I get a dungeon master.

Speaking of animals, the import of cats really helped my vermin problem. I forgot to bring any with me, so the outpost liasan brought me 4 for trade. Lesson learned.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #8197 on: November 23, 2010, 01:58:58 am »

My medical dwarf keeps sitting near the well with a bucket in hand, tasked to apply a cast but just staring at it stupidly. The Liason does not consider the replacement broker an acceptable substitute and is dutifully waiting on my Leader's hopefully swift recovery. Is there a way to get a pre-filled bucket of water?

Plaster is bugged, resulting in the behavior you're witnessing. In future, stick to using splints. As for breaking out of the current jam, you might try forbidding the bucket the medical dwarf is carrying.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

deathxherald

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Look! DBZ Dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: November 23, 2010, 02:04:57 am »

Update! I got piss poor bored with my fort and decided to channel a river through my living quarters.
End result: 12 dwarves ate it, 34 left. My Planter goes into a beserk rage and starts killing the other dwarves. That dorf manages to kill 20 of my dam dwarves before a miner burries her pick in his skull.
I sent said miner on a deep dive. She made it to 200z before she managed to pop the hollow center of an addy vein and died about 5 turns later in a gruesome fasion.
Now the last of my dwarves have locked themselves in the fort with no exit. They keep pitching fits too. So much for this fort. 
Ps: anyone have a suggestion for a decent advanced param world gen that I might get a decent embark off of?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:10:01 am by deathxherald »
Dwarf Fortress: Throwing kittens into volcanoes to see what's on the bottom.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8199 on: November 23, 2010, 03:03:41 am »

Hedgehogs, apparently, are too light to be killed by any fall. I recently dropped one 101 z-levels and I just found it wandering around the caverns. Unless it's a different hedgehog...

Are hedgehogs subterranian?

EDIT: Alternate Theory: There is such a large pile of dead kitten chunks that their acting as a cushion. The kittens are surviving the fall too. I have clean up that pile or cat population control is in trouble.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 03:08:57 am by Samuel »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8200 on: November 23, 2010, 04:42:09 am »

Speaking of animals, the import of cats really helped my vermin problem. I forgot to bring any with me, so the outpost liasan brought me 4 for trade. Lesson learned.

and you now have a bigger problem

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8201 on: November 23, 2010, 04:51:10 am »

I breached the cavern, at last!
1st priority: exploit the sea (I seriously hope it's a sea and not a lake because it doesn't appear to contain much water), bring the water to a reservoir underneath the main halls, then pump the stuff all the way to a second reservoir above. It will help me make the perpetual mist generator that which everyone will be forced to walk through, once I replaced the relevant floors with grates. Happiness and cleanliness for everybody, especially the Forgotten Beasts slayers!
2nd priority: figure out how the spontaneous cave-in happened in the cavern, if it did indeed happen in that specific cavern. If it didn't, dig deeper and investigate. Found what appears to be either blood or mud, so chances are I'm at the right place already.
3rd priority: potentially see how the 2nd priority can interfere with the 1st one in unexpected, painful, moist, FunŽ ways.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8202 on: November 23, 2010, 05:28:37 am »

For the hell of it, I genned a new world and started screencapping and narrating as if I was going to make an LP of it.

It's been fun, not in the !!Fun!! sense, but I honestly enjoyed geeking out about what I was doing. I might not even post it, really, just keep narrating and screencapping my progress.

Hatchetbrew is close to the north of the map, so it's in sweltering hot tropical jungle, smack in the middle of Untamed Wilderness. Aside from that, it's glorious. Four layers of soil, followed by chert, coal, iron ores, and I know there's marble farther down. Tons of trees and surface vegetation. The surface ponds are full of fish; I've ordered my dorfs to squirrel away this huge pile of turtle shells in case someone gets moody. Saw some elephants around ("Look, the bane of Boatmurdered!"), dropped a couple of cage traps between two bodies of water where they were hanging out, long story short three tame elephants and a leopard. So many kobolds it's hilarious. The monkeys haven't even bothered my dorfs. Not enough magma for some people, but for me it's gorgeous.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8203 on: November 23, 2010, 08:44:42 am »

Well fuck. I made a duplicate of Reveredtour and had my militia fight some more zombies. They disappeared as well. This basically means that one of the potential dangers for my embark is completley negated now. Frustratingly, I don't know what the cause is either.

I've encountered the same thing with zombies. They die at the first poke and nobody gets the kill.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8204 on: November 23, 2010, 09:18:56 am »

Just had a tantrum spiral.

My FPS was irritatingly low.  So, I made my underground wells into a meeting hall.  Once a sufficient number gathered, I proceeded to a channel around the perimeter of the room.

Consequently, the entire floor collapsed into my cistern, resulting in about 20 or so drownings.  Of course, some of the drownings took a while.  Regrettably, I missed most of the nobles, except for the philosopher.

Undaunted, a created a statue garden that consisted of a floating platform, suspended over the 8 z-level moat.  The resulting party, fortunately including the nobles, went on for a season, punctuated with the occasional message that another drunkard has dies after colliding with an object (ie the ground).  There are no railings on statue garden.  Finally, I removed the single floortile that supported the entire platform.  I managed about 30 dwarfs in one go, plus babies.  Of course, I have nowhere near sufficient tombs, so the bodies were pretty much left there.

For some time afterwards, I received a stream of tantrum messages.  At one point, a dwarf decided to smash the main drawbridge.  As a result, the only way in or out of the fortress was to follow the "elven path"--a single-tile pathway studded with upright spikes.  Unfortunately, I had no luck in killing the dwarves who I subsequently trapped on the path by extending and retracting the spikes.  So, I simply decontructed the supports, killing and badly wounding another ten dwarves.

By this time, there were a half dozed dwarves in the prison--cut off from food and water since some madman destroyed all the bridges across the lower Z-levels of the moat.  Okay, maybe not destroyed--maybe deconstructed is a better word.  Meanwhile the survivors were regularly going insane and either killing each other, or hurling themsleves into the 14 Z-level chasms that surrounded the main staircase in the fort.  By the end, I went from about 140 dwarves to about 20.  The only sane ones were the ones in the prison.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 3842