Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106616 times)

Inglonias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8205 on: November 23, 2010, 09:19:17 am »

I ran out of non-economic stones (though this was quickly rectified. If you don't believe me, I can give you a screenshot when I get home)

And now I have a mayor. Stupid mayor. I don't WANT to give him an office.
This is my favorite part of Bay 12!
Zack, my boy, practicality - or the lack of it - has never stopped a Dwarf Fortress player before. You want to find a way to play this game without your eyes? Someone here with the know-how will be able to help you and we'll be damned if we let a little thing like the practicality of a solution get in our way.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8206 on: November 23, 2010, 09:54:35 am »

Made a Map of my 40d Fortress (Cloisteredwood):
Top Floor:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Entrance Floor:

Second Floor:

Third Floor:

Main Floor:

Panic 1 Floor:

Panic 2 Floor:

Panic 3 Floor:

Panic Room Floor:

:)
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8207 on: November 23, 2010, 12:13:23 pm »

Part of the water started flowing somewhere else once I discovered more parts of the cavern. Huh. What.
Also, I was told I discovered the 2nd expansive cavern, but... it seems to be so intimately intertwined with the first one I can't figure out which is which.  ???
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Joeben

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: November 23, 2010, 01:48:47 pm »

The first artifact of my first fort "Burndoomed" was a bituminous coal mechanism, encrusted with bituminous coal and encircled with bands of bituminous coal.  Maybe I should make a completely flammable well just for the sake of irony

My dwarves seem to be taking the flammable name of their fort entirely too seriously :(

Well, sort of my first fort, had one before just for learnign the controls and stuff... still don't get the military, but working on that through the wiki and stuff

Joeben

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: November 23, 2010, 02:03:00 pm »

Also my axe dwarf is wielding at the same time two shields AND an axe.  That is... confusing.  Does explain why not all my dwarves have shields when I made enough... they are hogging them all

Do they not hold a shield and instead lash it to their arm or something (Not a buckler, shield)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: November 23, 2010, 02:22:52 pm »

I have abandoned (for now) my idea of ritually executing my goblin prisoners by using a drawbridge to make them fly, in favor of my new idea of regarding captured goblins as champion volunteers to fight the forgotten beast that is skulking around the caverns, possibly encouraging them to do so with a water jet, while I continue to build up my stronghold (vaguely reminiscent of that old Beowulf movie by Christopher lambert).

I might still do the ritual kill idea if I can think of a good enough way to do it.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: November 23, 2010, 03:17:08 pm »

Well fuck. I made a duplicate of Reveredtour and had my militia fight some more zombies. They disappeared as well. This basically means that one of the potential dangers for my embark is completley negated now. Frustratingly, I don't know what the cause is either.

I've encountered the same thing with zombies. They die at the first poke and nobody gets the kill.

Yeah, apparently in the new version zombies often dissolve into nothingness upon death. But it looks like they are also incredibly weak, and can be killed with a single punch. Even when the zombie is is 3x the size of the dwarf punching it. I'm guessing that part, along with no one getting kill credit and there being no info in the combat log indicating their disappearance, is a  glitch. Hopefully I won't have to generate a new world to fix it, otherwise my LP just got substantially less Fun!. Though the errorlog did spoil something for me; there are shacklers somehwere in the caverns. Those are tough bastards. They can be beaten, provided you have steel gear. Which I don't.

I have abandoned (for now) my idea of ritually executing my goblin prisoners by using a drawbridge to make them fly, in favor of my new idea of regarding captured goblins as champion volunteers to fight the forgotten beast that is skulking around the caverns, possibly encouraging them to do so with a water jet, while I continue to build up my stronghold (vaguely reminiscent of that old Beowulf movie by Christopher lambert).

I might still do the ritual kill idea if I can think of a good enough way to do it.

In Townbrush, one of the resident forgotten beasts was a lazy bastard. Despite having wings, he never flew out of his hole to attack the fortress. So I just began sacrificing prisoners to him. It was amusing to watch the goblins try to run past him, only to get thrown into a wall and crushed to death. Much more satisfying than just throwing them in the magma pit.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 03:18:54 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8212 on: November 23, 2010, 03:25:45 pm »

I have a lazy SOB for an expedition leader/miner.  According to his profile, he likes to be alone, and he doesn't like doing any more work than necessary.  So, within days of arriving at a new site, he managed to break his right leg and left hand, and now he's sitting in bed, being waited on hand and foot by the rest of the dwarves.  Bastard...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8213 on: November 23, 2010, 03:46:36 pm »

The Queen has arrived in Glitterhammers.

With more kills than any of local militia champions.

And without left hand. She is now sleeping in her quarters, demanding steel axes.

Oh, her older son is some goddamn hero according to the legends, and her younger son is apparently the very liaison that was visiting us for 8 years. Talk about surprise family connections.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8214 on: November 23, 2010, 04:32:28 pm »

My former bookkeeper decided he wanted bones for his artifact. After leaving him walled up for a while, I desperately needed the metalsmiths forge(used to have three pickaxes, but one was lost in a mining accident where the miner unfortunately survived). I sent out my marksdwarf squad who, due to my lack of quivers, double as a bashing squad. One of the recruits caught up with a mountain goat and is now bashing it in the head with her crossbow.

Edit: Oh bother, a few months too late. The bookkeeper went insane. Ah well, guess the bashing squad has a new assignment.

Edit2: WHAT! So that's why I was one crossbow short. The damned bookkeeper is using it to beat my manager! Oh, there we go. The manager is dead. I now see why. My present bookkeeper was beating the manager, who was, in fact, the former bookkeeper. All is well then.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 04:37:18 pm by Serio »

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8215 on: November 23, 2010, 04:45:32 pm »

I'm deforesting the area around my fort to construct a 100-square 2-story warehouse.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8216 on: November 23, 2010, 05:16:14 pm »

Found a vein of lignite that, when dug out via vdig, gave me a nice pathway under the river to the other side, so I'm setting up a second entrance and trade depot there, and also finally getting around to making an underground farm for Hatchetbrew's dorfs who have been living on the land rather than under it for a couple of seasons now. Pretty comfortable land to be living on, TBH, but we have to go underground eventually. This ain't Elf Fortress, after all!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8217 on: November 23, 2010, 06:02:44 pm »

Ahaha! I've found the fattest tigerperson in existence!
"An orange striped man with the head of a tiger.
She bears untold amounts of fat over a gigantic frame. Her hair is striped orange and black. Her skin is pale pink. Her eyes are yellow."

I'm still deciding whether I should be capturing her(And putting her on display) or just eating her.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8218 on: November 23, 2010, 06:17:55 pm »

Went AFK during the crucial early stages of building a cavern fort.

Came back to 3/7 dwarves dead, ripped apart by a blind cave ogre.  4th dwarf was my militia captain.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: November 23, 2010, 06:51:54 pm »

Ahaha! I've found the fattest tigerperson in existence!
"An orange striped man with the head of a tiger.
She bears untold amounts of fat over a gigantic frame. Her hair is striped orange and black. Her skin is pale pink. Her eyes are yellow."

I'm still deciding whether I should be capturing her(And putting her on display) or just eating her.

Weaponise! Get her to fall on people!
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 3842