Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106833 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8025 on: November 17, 2010, 05:05:21 pm »

My Artifact Knight now has a spear and a mail shirt (both adamantine), due to all my moodable skill-less dwarves being trained to novice armorsmithing. Next up, I'm hoping for greaves.

EDIT: 23 migrants, 13 of whom are now armorers-in-training.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:11:46 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8026 on: November 17, 2010, 05:06:42 pm »

One of my new recruits wanted to grab a copper axe left in the wood during an equipment application mishap.

A groundhog kept interrupting.

Eventually, he said "Screw this" and choke the thing to death while trying to bite out its organs.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8027 on: November 17, 2010, 05:13:40 pm »

Killed a Forgotten Beast ever? Looks like you've got The Rot! Good times. Look for and Restrict/Clean any tiles with Forgotten Beast extract or blood on them, or you'll see more of this from anyone else walking through it.
Doesn't make sense! The girl never got near any sort of Forgotten Beast (remains) whatsoever, many others did, they're all healthy, and it's been many months since I last killed one! Or she did it alone while I was busy with something else, and she was especially unlucky for one of the few dwarfs that were supposed to be rarely sick.
Oh well. If it turns out it is The Rot® after all, I will consider doing something about it. Maybe. Haven't had Fun® in a while, there's no time to be cautious now.
Nothing like a fortress-wide bath day to get all the bad diseases away.

Except maybe a fortress-wide bath day with water.
With water? Are you gonna tell me to use soap, next? I'm disinfecting the above with magma. If that don't kill the toxins as well as the ambushing goblins wandering around, nothing will. The magma pumping system should be ready soon if the dorfs stop procrastinating.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8028 on: November 17, 2010, 05:16:30 pm »

Part 2 of my LP is up.

I'm noticing that this embark isn't nearly as bad as Tonwbrush was. For one, there aren't any ogres. That alone makes a huge difference. Second, even the number of zombies seems tame in comparison. Of course it hasn't been very long so I'll give that fort a lot more time before thinking it is safe. The update was pretty much based around your typical job interruption spam due to dwarves being scared shitless by a groundhog or some other dumb animal. Seriously, I wish Toady would just add a tag that makes dwarves ignore certain animals. There's no reason to freak out the second a deer comes within 10 yards of the fortress.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8029 on: November 17, 2010, 05:21:10 pm »

I was going to drain the damned cavern lake to start a proper tree farm, and sudden four flesh balls spawned underwater at the border where water pours in. I can't send my elites to attack them, I can't construct around them, and bolts seems not bother them. there are dozens of iron bolts stuck in one, to no effect.

...I'll bring a magma presents to them. iron pump components on the way!

a lot of effort to bring them magma, and they eventually bleed to death. stupid fluffy balls.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8030 on: November 17, 2010, 09:15:48 pm »

nothing much-- just breached the space elevator. 

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70942.0 (nothing much as in too much fun ensued)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 05:16:06 am by vadia »

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8031 on: November 18, 2010, 12:36:18 am »

Mysteriously, all food stockpiles have stopped accepting food. This is a problem, as I am something of an overachiever in the food production department. Making new food stockpiles has not helped.

Additionally, two of my elite wrestlers keep making prepped meals their possessions, and every elite in my army continuously disables all their labors. >_<

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8032 on: November 18, 2010, 05:19:39 am »

AHAHAH I GOT A BARONY
Now, how to creatively trap the throne room...
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8033 on: November 18, 2010, 07:54:32 am »

Ah, well, I just got a High Master Gem Cutter, so, yeah, furnace operator.
I prefer my gem cutters to have very low skills, so I get more gems for decorating items I like.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8034 on: November 18, 2010, 08:10:21 am »

Magma security has come along smoothly. The caldera has been emptied of all but one steel-refining smelter, trying to turn massive amounts of iron remaining into a quality metal, while masons floor over the open vent with basalt block -- it's starting to look like a massive ballroom, one with hundreds of bars of iron and steel littering it. Magma sluices have been fitted with pumps, sealed with grates and drawbridges.

The pro metalworks have moved into a centralized location, evenly spaced from Depot and new deposits, and perfectly spaced from all barracks. Apprentice/journeyman forges are up by the trap ditch for fast goblinte refinement -- I still don't have all goblinite burned yet, but if more comes in they're in a good position to pick it up and refine steel there. The rest of the time they can crank out various copper goods and melt it back down again. If their mood strikes or they start producing masterworks consistently, they get promoted downstairs, where all the kitchens, meeting areas, and idle lonely nurses and doctors are.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8035 on: November 18, 2010, 08:42:39 am »

Hm, it's the return of the bleeding feet syndrome. An ex-mayor and now planter had the time to reach the hospital, but not a bed this time, before he dropped dead and devoid of blood. He cancelled his task in the same general area as the previous victim: in the huge external refuse stockpile.
I'd investigate seriously, if I weren't happy about getting rid of another mouth effortlessly. Seriously, I got a bunch of migrants that can hardly do anything... again. Maybe I can trick a noble into walking there if they start being unreasonable.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8036 on: November 18, 2010, 10:39:03 am »

I knew it. Allowing this migrant wave to partially enter the fortress was a bad idea. One of the metalcrafters in it decided he wasn't satisfied with the state of Hushgranite. Now I lost a smelter. Good thing I have enough iron to produce armour and weapons for my soon-to-be security squad.

The metal industry in Hushgranite is far superior to the industry in Darkmeadow. In Darkmeadow, I didn't have access to Gypsum, Bituminous Coal, or even any iron ores. I was forced to live off a badly equipped, easily wounded Dwarven military. With Hushgranite, I have access to huge clusters of Bituminous Coal and Magnetite, which I'm in the process of mining out. I've also made sure that the pets won't accidentally run into the danger room.

EDIT: Oh, up until now I only had one Metalsmith's Workshop. The other one kept getting suspended. Only now did I notice a piece of unclaimed coal was blocking one of the outer tiles.

EDIT2: WHAT! "Dobar Mondulalath, Metalcrafter cancels Drink: Dangerous Terrain" Somehow, water is now spewing up the well and is flooding the habitat level. I hope shutting the hatch will stop it from pumping into the fortress. If not... Well, one bath a year.

EDIT3: Phew, the emergency hatch worked. It stopped the flooding before anything could be damaged. The well is intact still, so I wonder what just happened.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:00:23 am by Serio »

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8037 on: November 18, 2010, 11:08:52 am »

Mysteriously, all food stockpiles have stopped accepting food. This is a problem, as I am something of an overachiever in the food production department. Making new food stockpiles has not helped.

If its affecting new stockpiles as well, you may have accidentally turned off "Dwarves haul food" under the (o)rders menu. I had the exact same problem a couple of months ago, and that's what had happened to me.

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8038 on: November 18, 2010, 01:14:02 pm »

EDIT2: WHAT! "Dobar Mondulalath, Metalcrafter cancels Drink: Dangerous Terrain" Somehow, water is now spewing up the well and is flooding the habitat level. I hope shutting the hatch will stop it from pumping into the fortress. If not... Well, one bath a year.

EDIT3: Phew, the emergency hatch worked. It stopped the flooding before anything could be damaged. The well is intact still, so I wonder what just happened.

I keep having this problem. In my case, it's because I try to fill the well pool from a brook 4-5 Z-levels above it and there is a water-pressure issue. Fortunately in each case I had installed a floodgate linked to a lever and was able to close it before my fortress flooded (actually in one case I had gone to the trouble of having an intermediate reservoir- unfortunately, I installed *that* 2 Z-levels above the well also).
I keep forgetting that the well itself is by necessity open to the flow of water.

I suspect in your case it's something rather more complicated, but probably still water-pressure related.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8039 on: November 18, 2010, 01:42:09 pm »

It's a distinct possibility that it was pressure.

Code: [Select]
~~~~~~~~~
|#|---|&|
|¤¤¤¤¤¤¤|

~ = The river
# = Hatch room
¤ = Water storage room
& = Well
- = Dirt

If that's any help in imagining how it works. It's not a very complicated setup, but it's quick to dig and effective enough until I set up a better system. I used this setup in Darkmeadow as well. Never had any flooding there.
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 3842