Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122476 times)

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7185 on: October 21, 2010, 09:48:07 am »

Finally one of the correct dwarves mooded: my expedition manager who I had leveled up to Novice weaponsmith. But of course, it's a possession. Fuck. So now he's squatting in a magma forge demanding silk. It's midsummer, so I have three options:
- breach the caverns and hope I find webs
- hope he can hold out for another four months
- find a new dope to be the manager and lock the door to the workshop
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: October 21, 2010, 10:25:22 am »

Gold is going on. A ton of it, multiple veins one close to the other. Right in the middle of my first floor.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: October 21, 2010, 11:27:03 am »

Thun Tunneledrazor, the mighty Marksdwarfette :-*, fainted in the Danger Room due to a broken finger. I better not let her read the secret plans of the fortress.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: October 21, 2010, 11:35:09 am »

Finally one of the correct dwarves mooded: my expedition manager who I had leveled up to Novice weaponsmith. But of course, it's a possession. Fuck. So now he's squatting in a magma forge demanding silk. It's midsummer, so I have three options:
- breach the caverns and hope I find webs   
- hope he can hold out for another four months
- find a new dope to be the manager and lock the door to the workshop
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: October 21, 2010, 12:49:11 pm »

Just came back to DF after a 2 week hiatus. Considered going back to Staffrains but I can't be bothered to sit through the 15 fps for a year because I missed a caravan and won't get any migrants till next spring, that being if I manage to get the next caravan. So I genned a new world, played around in adventure mode a while, then decided to do my first terrifying, no river, freezing embark.

Squirtedpaddles it has been called. This has been surprisingly easy; there were a few snailmen/slugmen roaming in and out that probably weren't even fast enough to cause my embark group any real threat and the place is otherwise devoid of life whereas other places I get rushed by a swarm of alligators. I even brought an axeman along. And water is even easier than normal embarks, just channel out 1 tile below a block of ice, wait for summer, and in one minute, fertile farming land. I might consider the Fortress Defence mod, it looks like it give epic battles.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: October 21, 2010, 01:24:53 pm »

Late Spring 105 in the Town of DreamLetter, pop. 100

This season's migrants brought population up to an even 100, and I've enlisted them into a second squad to defend the Cavern Entrance. The entrance has a drawbridge, just in case, and a barracks, danger room, dining room, food storage, and a loom for all the spider webs. It's a military outpost.

Spoiler: Cavern Entrance (click to show/hide)

Also, this little berg's officially a Town, and so I promoted the leader of my initial embark team, Jonathan to the rank of Baron. I picked him because he has good likes & dislikes, so his edicts are easy to fulfill. No export of platinum. No export of bucklers. No problem. Also because he's my dwarf.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 01:37:04 pm by AngleWyrm »

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: October 21, 2010, 01:41:27 pm »

Early winter of 1068 in the dwarven metropolis of Dastotudib, Swordsyrups.
Pop. 151. Mostly useless good-for-nothing low-lives. Ought to cull some.
Construction has begun for the casting vessel of my first ever obsidian fortress. Hopefully won't fail.
Also, Minkot Rīsenemal the Engraver created a native silver amulet, Minkot Rīsenemal. [sic]
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: October 21, 2010, 01:54:55 pm »

2.4 million in wealth, five years strong, and a growing population.  "Goallabor"'s goal of its labor is clearly to make as much wealth as we can, and it's paying off.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: October 21, 2010, 02:07:08 pm »

I finished my danger room finally. The huge one that is 15 by 15 (never again!).

I got curious and looked to see who the noble is who has been pulling the lever non-stop since it was finished and noticed it was my mayor and couldn't help but laugh. I picture him in one of two ways, either laughing manically and yanking the lever back and forth, reveling in the death of all of the stupid pets that wander through the room for no apparent reason, or [...]

You can just build a weapon rack in the end of a 1x5 dead-end hallway and build four upright wooden training spears in the other tiles, instead of 224 :D
The dead-end ensures that your pets remain alive.

I initially had the huge barracks as a dead-end, but I later dug it out so as to have a convenient route to the front of the fort, since the other entrance (due to symmetry) was far enough that it usually lead to hauler casualties. I might just wall off the old entrance now that you mention it though... I have the doors set so pets can't pass, but from time to time they sneak in with someone and make it bout halfway through before they turn red and squishy. All the blood is a nice touch, but I don't want to deal with someone's beloved kitten getting it and then going berserk...

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fell Asleep: Abdomen/Thorax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: October 21, 2010, 02:07:08 pm »

Nothing.
I haven't played in weeks.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: October 21, 2010, 02:14:09 pm »

I had my first battle. Against Olm men/women. My thoughts :

OH NOES! ENEMYS!

So I sent my 2 squads of 2 against them. Got food and didn't even suffer a scratch. Apparently they aren't good blowgunners/spearmen.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Tonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: October 21, 2010, 02:33:56 pm »

One of my new, inexperienced soldiers fell asleep in the danger room.  She slept through like five pages of "...but the attack is deflected by her +cave spider silk cloak+!"

Also, my cooks are slower than my hunters, so I've had to turn off hunting before the whole fort is drowned in meat.  Too bad it can't be used as a building material... That might be enough to get me into modding.  Houses made of meat.  Meat-a-pults for putting elf merchants in the proper frame of mind.  Yeah...

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: October 21, 2010, 03:14:13 pm »

Dastotutib apparently also lost its baron. Dehydrated to death in his plush and luxurious due to a door that was locked and promptly forgotten. Oh well.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: October 21, 2010, 03:40:17 pm »

One of my new, inexperienced soldiers fell asleep in the danger room.  She slept through like five pages of "...but the attack is deflected by her +cave spider silk cloak+!"

Also, my cooks are slower than my hunters, so I've had to turn off hunting before the whole fort is drowned in meat.  Too bad it can't be used as a building material... That might be enough to get me into modding.  Houses made of meat.  Meat-a-pults for putting elf merchants in the proper frame of mind.  Yeah...

You can make houses out of animal derived soap, though.

Killing Time

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: October 21, 2010, 06:07:50 pm »

It's been ages since I've played fortress mode...almost 2 years. I decide to get back into it by building on a cool cave I found and cleared of its hydra occupant with my elf adventurer a few months ago. The dwarfs touch down a mile from the cave so there was a lot of hauling to do ere the monkeys come and steal all our shit.
Apparently everything in the caves hate dwarfs with a passion, since trogs, crocs, and giant toads come boiling out of the caverns as soon as I set up. Even the underground horses come up for a little ass kicking. I had a guy with weapon skills and armor set up for spelunking though, so no worries. He dies to the first trog. Fortunately, Risen (with a funky i) the Smith rises to the occasion with the spare axe, coating the cave walls with blood.
Door construction was interrupted by a giant spider while Risen was napping, with two casualties. The last one managed to kill it before bleeding out though, so the dwarfs have been safe for the past year aside from the occasional troll.

I don't know why I stopped playing this game.
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 3842