Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122467 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7170 on: October 20, 2010, 12:47:17 pm »

I had finally gotten a baron.  First time since April.  I was incredibly happy.

Then then something called Windows Data Execution Protection closed DF before the next season's autosave kicked in.   Fuuuuuuuuuuu...

I bet I'm not going to get the option after I reload.  That would just be my luck.

P.S. Bah and it won't let me turn the 'feature' off for DF.  Stupid windows and their deciding that they should have more control of your computer than you do.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:49:25 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: October 20, 2010, 02:34:12 pm »

Elven caravan showed up. Spoiled by the exotic animal smugglers who pretended to be the elf civ near my previous fort, I had high hopes that this caravan would bring some cool beasties. But what do I get? ONE FUCKING MULE. Lacking a military of note, I had to content myself with seizing a few overpriced wooden splints (which will be promptly tossed in the volcano). Fuckers.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: October 20, 2010, 02:47:51 pm »

I finished my danger room finally. The huge one that is 15 by 15 (never again!).

I got curious and looked to see who the noble is who has been pulling the lever non-stop since it was finished and noticed it was my mayor and couldn't help but laugh. I picture him in one of two ways, either laughing manically and yanking the lever back and forth, reveling in the death of all of the stupid pets that wander through the room for no apparent reason, or like the guy from this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV0GGspZAos.

I kind of hope it's the second one, because he has been standing there for two seasons, just yanking that lever.

In other news, I also finished my trap gauntlets, and have had three sieges so far give up and leave before I even had time to get my military out to them. I began work on a massive open-air statue garden, and I've decided to level the landscape except for the mountain my dorfs are holed up inside.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: October 20, 2010, 03:02:20 pm »

I finished my danger room finally. The huge one that is 15 by 15 (never again!).

I got curious and looked to see who the noble is who has been pulling the lever non-stop since it was finished and noticed it was my mayor and couldn't help but laugh. I picture him in one of two ways, either laughing manically and yanking the lever back and forth, reveling in the death of all of the stupid pets that wander through the room for no apparent reason, or [...]

You can just build a weapon rack in the end of a 1x5 dead-end hallway and build four upright wooden training spears in the other tiles, instead of 224 :D
The dead-end ensures that your pets remain alive.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #7174 on: October 20, 2010, 03:05:23 pm »

I had finally gotten a baron.  First time since April.  I was incredibly happy.

Then then something called Windows Data Execution Protection closed DF before the next season's autosave kicked in.   Fuuuuuuuuuuu...

I bet I'm not going to get the option after I reload.  That would just be my luck.

P.S. Bah and it won't let me turn the 'feature' off for DF.  Stupid windows and their deciding that they should have more control of your computer than you do.

Is that on windows vista or 7?
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: October 20, 2010, 03:12:30 pm »

You can turn that off in Windows.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700810.aspx may help you.

EDIT: Although it's almost certainly a bug somewhere that DF triggered it in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 03:31:19 pm by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: October 20, 2010, 03:19:45 pm »

Things are going very slowly in my current fort, all thanks to the rather large distance between my metal forges (that have been running pretty much constantly) and my main chambers, seperated by 117 z-levels. Hopefully creating those 117 screw pumps will train my weaponsmith to legendary, I could sure use that.

Thanks to a funmetal vein running right through my metalworking area and the very first Fey mood creating a shield out of that, my fortress wealth rose 4 million in about a year. I got a 4-dwarf squad consisting of a swordsdwarf, hammerdwarf, macedwarf and speardwarf, lead by a rather old dwarf I nicknamed 'Gramps', wielding the artifact shield and an almost full suit of masterpiece bronze armor (until I have enough funmetal). They cut through several goblin squads that arrived due to the wealth increase rather easily. I'm not using a danger room to train them, because that's not really my style, so they're proficient/skilled across the board.

Thanks to the massive amount of hauling jobs and my rather low amount of hauling dwarfs (apparantly 20 isn't enough for a 37-dwarf fort, though the rather large distance must play a part in this) I'm very much hoping for a nice big migrant wave. I would even settle for 5 peasants among them, since they would make great haulers.

Fun fact: First goblin casualty of this fort, a snatcher, had "Monsterincest" as his last name.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: October 20, 2010, 07:13:29 pm »

@LealNightrunner  Thanks for that.  I saw the way how to set it to just add an exception before but I didn't see those boot.ini settings.  I'll probably keep it at default unless it does it again though. 

I haven't heard of this happening before so I figure it's likely a rare thing.  And I suppose I see the security use of something that keeps applications from putting their noses where they don't belong.  If it does it again I might have more useful information on what was going on when it happened and could submit a bug report worth a damn.

It just kind-a got pissed me off that instead of just throwing up a warning and stopping the program temporarily like it does with stuff like UAC it just kills the process and barfs out that it just killed an hour's worth of progress for my own protection on a program that has been on the computer for 3 years without major issue.

@Gutanoth It's vista.  It's customized to not be quite as obnoxious as usual, but it's still vista.  I'm too lazy to migrate to 7.  And don't wanna risk having to reinstall everything if it goes wrong anyway.

Back on topic sure enough, I didn't get the baron this time.  But that prompted me to look up why and figured out that I need to lock up my mayor or expedition leader or whatever until the caravan leaves to be offered one.  So I'll try again next year.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 07:15:41 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: October 21, 2010, 12:19:35 am »

Internet Kraken cancels play Fallout: New Vegas; interrupted by game crashing

A glitch has destroyed 5 hours of progress!
Internet Kraken is stricken by melancholy!

Fuck it, back to Dwarf Fortress. At least the autosaves in this game actually worked.

Things have been surprisingly calm in Townbrush. The goblins haven't shown up yet, the forgotten beasts are no longer restless, and even the zombies aren't to prevalent now. The only attack so far was a zombie reef shark crawling into the food stockpile, but that was quickly eliminated by the axe-wielding farmer.

Really the only thing of interest is that the Elven caravan showed up, and for once they weren't greeted by the goblins decapitating them. They still died though. They just happened to be crossing the bridge when it was finally raised, causing the merchants to plummet several z levels into the muddy cavern. They then bleed to death, lying on top of a pile of troll bones and rusted armor. I didn't even mean to kill the hippies, it was just an unfortunate (or fortunate depending on your view point) incident.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #7179 on: October 21, 2010, 02:06:01 am »

My new project (dammit, seems I start a new one whenever I go to France!) marks the first time I lose a fort and not by my own hand.

Knowing gobbos in this version, I quickly set up a full dozen soldiers.  Since I don't have a working forge yet and but few trade resources, I have no choice but to equip them in hippie gear.

Unfortunately, the gobbo ambush arrived sooner than I thought.

One speargob took on my twelve soldiers and utterly destroyed them.

The fort fell soon afterwards.

Coming back with a reclaim party, I resume the project, finish up my bridges, test the mechanisms and seal the entrance.  I have no food left but with some tender loving care, I'm sure my farms will give me the sustenance I need for the challenges that lay ahead...

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #7180 on: October 21, 2010, 03:36:36 am »

Gobbos destroyed my fort too, and now recclaiming it failed too. I have just 3 dwarfs left and door blocked, with all seeds outside. and no animals left to butcher. The death toll is too horrible to count.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: October 21, 2010, 04:31:52 am »

Mournfulriddles is now operational at about 30 dwarves, unfortunately I seem to be having a glitch involving charcoal, which has led to a suicidal glassmaker roaming the halls, stripping his clothes off.

I decided that I wanted a really cool ancient Roman collonade topped with statues that led to the entrance, so we've got a LOT of cobaltite columns that I had to assemble and disassemble stairs for, and the end result is rather impressive. I haven't seen hide nor hair of goblins OR kobolds yet, and so I'm wondering what the hell is up.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: October 21, 2010, 05:12:51 am »

Towerpeaks  Frist large Hall is complete  it spans 3z levels had has pillars of solid gold and silver holding the ceiling up  :)  Plus a large amount of gold and silver statues.

Any ideas what else I can put in to show off to visistors?

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: October 21, 2010, 05:50:20 am »

Lay an image of a dwarf onto the floor.
In gold and silver, of course.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: October 21, 2010, 08:17:50 am »

Good idea maybe use some that black bronze (nice purple colour) I have the smelters making!

I plan on having several large halls by the end just because I can!
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 3842