Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122453 times)

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7155 on: October 19, 2010, 10:53:47 am »

What the next wagonload of merchants would have seen was essentially a miasma volcanoe. 100+ rotting kittens and puppies tore around the fortress, and all the miasma filtered up the central stairway and eventually out into the open air, resulting in a 10z+ mushroom cloud of miasma pouring out the top of the spire and flowing down its sides.
:D Great story Asymptote, - especially the volcanoe of miasma.
I have similar but much lesser problems with rotting feets in by fort.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7156 on: October 19, 2010, 11:19:38 am »

I don't normally like to seal up my fortress.  I normally let my migrants and merchants come and go as they please.  But my last fort got a little too populous and unwieldy.  So this time around I thought I'd lock the doors and keep things small.

Embarked and immediately dove underground.  Dug out a couple temporary chambers to hold all my supplies, got a basic farm going, grabbed some wood, tapped the brook for some underground water, and then walled up the entrance behind me.  Nobody in or out.

A couple years have passed.  I've ignored the migrants wandering around outside.  Some merchants have come and gone.  Things are going pretty well...

But I'm getting low on wood, and thinking I might want to start trading with the other civs...  Which means I have to pop the cork and let people inside.

That's OK.  I planned for this.  I've got a grand entrance and trade depot ready to go.  I just have to breach the surface.

Except...  There's an awful lot of very unhappy dwarves up there.

I'm trying to decide how exactly I can breach the surface without letting a flood of tantrum-ready dwarves into my fort.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7157 on: October 19, 2010, 12:44:44 pm »

It's quiet.  Too quiet.  I'm setting up the new marksdwarves' barracks; got a plan to set up some floodgates in front of the exposed fortifications in order to attract building destroyers and then lower them when they're easy to hit.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7158 on: October 19, 2010, 12:46:47 pm »

I don't normally like to seal up my fortress.  I normally let my migrants and merchants come and go as they please.  But my last fort got a little too populous and unwieldy.  So this time around I thought I'd lock the doors and keep things small.

Embarked and immediately dove underground.  Dug out a couple temporary chambers to hold all my supplies, got a basic farm going, grabbed some wood, tapped the brook for some underground water, and then walled up the entrance behind me.  Nobody in or out.

A couple years have passed.  I've ignored the migrants wandering around outside.  Some merchants have come and gone.  Things are going pretty well...

But I'm getting low on wood, and thinking I might want to start trading with the other civs...  Which means I have to pop the cork and let people inside.

That's OK.  I planned for this.  I've got a grand entrance and trade depot ready to go.  I just have to breach the surface.

Except...  There's an awful lot of very unhappy dwarves up there.

I'm trying to decide how exactly I can breach the surface without letting a flood of tantrum-ready dwarves into my fort.

Let them tantrum / berserk and die and then let them in.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #7159 on: October 19, 2010, 02:01:10 pm »

have some form of mist generator to make them super happy as they enter.
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

Low_King

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7160 on: October 19, 2010, 02:25:11 pm »

My master plan of engraving everything has proved fruitful...but now everyone is so happy its starting to get creepy. I think I'm winning, surprisingly, its not as fun.

I'm in the process of the old tower to the sky project, its currently high enough to kill goblins by throwing them off it, which is nice.

Meanwhile the statue filled cathedral to all the gods is being built, its basically a whole layer wide with little branches off into the deep, blind ogres will be sacrificed.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: October 19, 2010, 02:35:19 pm »

I'm currently working on the ninth floor of my epic green glass dome. I have 49 dwarves, 21 artifacts, 20 FPS, 19 glass furnaces, 7 FBs in the caverns, 1 Speardwarf and about 4500 constructed green glass block walls/floors/stairs/ramps.

plarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • www.whitewoodstudio.com
« Reply #7162 on: October 19, 2010, 02:38:06 pm »

3 of my dwarfs are trapped in the flood gates they just built and slowly starving while I scramble to put in a lever before the expire:D
I don't read books anymore just dwarffortress

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: October 19, 2010, 02:54:30 pm »

I recently lost my first fortress ever. It started out in a somewhat standard manner, when a Forgotten Beast jumped out of the shadows of the lowest cavern. I set up my military to go try and stop him, but it turned out that it wouldn't matter, as the creature (a copper velociraptor with a thirst for blood or something, I think) just tore through some batpeople down in the catacombs and left. However, what I didn't notice was that I'd set someone to go gather something down in the caves. He went down, passed near the batpeople, and suddenly a flashing red "S" jumped on-screen and ripped him to shreds. Before I could forbid all of his items, a stream of dwarves managed to run down some 90 (?) z-levels to pick up his stuff. The Forgotten Beast then started tearing through them, eventually finding my starecase. Now, I reprepped my army and sent them in, and they managed to kill it, but not before there were a good thirty-seven casualties (seven of which were military dwarves). Now, this squad suddenly got ambushed by goddamn Crundles, so I added some more troops and sent them down. Now, that would've been well and good, but suddenly, up in the top of my fortress, a Strange Mood that I didn't even know that I had went insane and started killing dwarves (seriously, a skilled hammerdwarf? WHY?!). This started a tantrum spiral, only magnified by the recent Forgotten Beast/Crundle fiasco, and with my army too indisposed to do anything about it, the fortress quickly dwindled. The army finally got involved, and by the end of the bloodbath, there were five dwarves left.

Two of them were children. They were both useless. Two of them were army dwarves (one of them was the one that slew the Forgotten Beast), and they were both too injured to move. The last one, I'm not even sure, but I set him to start engraving to see if he could get anything interesting before the inevitable end of the fortress. He hadn't engraved three things before another Forgotten Beast jumped in from one of the caverns and shot up the Z-levels faster than I could even do anything about it. It was almost hilarious. My injured dwarves both died to it, and the children spent about 10 minutes (actual minutes, not game minutes) running away from the damn thing before it finally caught and slaughtered them. My last unit died engraving.

Losing is fun.

Irony is, the fortress' randomly generated name was "Greatestfailure". I kept it only because it was hilarious at the time. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

ArcaneSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Pastafarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: October 19, 2010, 03:31:47 pm »

Last entry in overseer's journal
 28th Hematite, 1054

--
The lower levels of the fortress are completely overrun by clowns. I have gathered all 57 dwarves who didn't perish in the original assault in the Dining Hall. Not that they stand a chance, not against these monstrous abominations. Counting our casualties.. strikes me with grief. When the miners accidentally pierced the so-called cotton candy, the clowns stormed in. When masons were ordered to seal the mining shafts, their response was: "ok, sure, but I'm gonna get some sleep first. Can't save a Fortress while tired can you?".  Promptly after this, we lost a dozen or so dwarves before I forbid them from retrieving the dead and the injured. We locked the doors, but I don't think that'll stop them from coming in. The others don't, they still have faith in their massive doors that have withstood so much for so long, I pity these fools but I know that telling them the truth will only cause more dissent, riots have been breaking out over the last bits of food and barrels of booze.

I don't have much time left, already some are talking about fleeing the Fortress. We -I- cannot let this happen, we must stop this threat to the world now or die trying. For too long have we dwarves been ignorant to the suffering of others, but seeing the things that happened here recently has opened my eyes. For not only did we foolishly open that which should never be opened, we also slaughtered many innocents (humans, and elves as well) to gain the means to open it. Why is it that everything we dwarves do must lead to someone's death? Why is it we can't just get along with people, even if they act weird sometimes? Why must we always compete to build the deathliest contraption, design the most efficient execution chambers, and kill the most living beings? Not because we are biologically incapable of sympathy, but because we simply never care about what other people do! When I look at the forces gathered in the Hall I cannot help but feel sorry for them, these dwarves whose only crime was neglecting the crimes of others.

But all hope is not yet lost, in midst of the chaos I have discovered a child who still, despite the loss of his parents, has a pure heart. Though he is slow to trust others, he still made a friend in these most terrible circumstances. And when you can surprise him, he has this most unique laugh and I must say he is one of the most intelligent dwarves in our Fortress. His name is Lokum Etostgusil, "Lokum Containcopper" in human.

I am handing this journal over to him now, and giving him the last of the supplies we could save. After he has left the Fortress we will retract the great bridge and seal the Fortress. If you read this, please take good care of him, and make sure that the sacrifice of the dwarves of Erushbetan, "Handlecalm" will not be in vain. "Handlecalm", what a fitting name for even though I know my death is approaching my hands are calm. If you ever meet someone else from our civilization, Erush Othôs "The Handle of Wilts", tell them... we dug too deep.
--

This journal was found next to the mangled body of a dwarven child. The marks of wolf teeth are still vaguely visible. The cover of the journal reads: The Humid Rags

Five days after discovering the journal, 7 dwarves left to search for Handleclaim so they could build a bone tower to throw elves at clowns.
Wanted: Signature Quotes
Reward: 1 honorable mention.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: October 19, 2010, 03:51:57 pm »

I recently lost my first fortress ever. It started out in a somewhat standard manner, when a Forgotten Beast jumped out of the shadows of the lowest cavern. I set up my military to go try and stop him, but it turned out that it wouldn't matter, as the creature (a copper velociraptor with a thirst for blood or something, I think) just tore through some batpeople down in the catacombs and left. However, what I didn't notice was that I'd set someone to go gather something down in the caves. He went down, passed near the batpeople, and suddenly a flashing red "S" jumped on-screen and ripped him to shreds. Before I could forbid all of his items, a stream of dwarves managed to run down some 90 (?) z-levels to pick up his stuff. The Forgotten Beast then started tearing through them, eventually finding my starecase. Now, I reprepped my army and sent them in, and they managed to kill it, but not before there were a good thirty-seven casualties (seven of which were military dwarves). Now, this squad suddenly got ambushed by goddamn Crundles, so I added some more troops and sent them down. Now, that would've been well and good, but suddenly, up in the top of my fortress, a Strange Mood that I didn't even know that I had went insane and started killing dwarves (seriously, a skilled hammerdwarf? WHY?!). This started a tantrum spiral, only magnified by the recent Forgotten Beast/Crundle fiasco, and with my army too indisposed to do anything about it, the fortress quickly dwindled. The army finally got involved, and by the end of the bloodbath, there were five dwarves left.

Two of them were children. They were both useless. Two of them were army dwarves (one of them was the one that slew the Forgotten Beast), and they were both too injured to move. The last one, I'm not even sure, but I set him to start engraving to see if he could get anything interesting before the inevitable end of the fortress. He hadn't engraved three things before another Forgotten Beast jumped in from one of the caverns and shot up the Z-levels faster than I could even do anything about it. It was almost hilarious. My injured dwarves both died to it, and the children spent about 10 minutes (actual minutes, not game minutes) running away from the damn thing before it finally caught and slaughtered them. My last unit died engraving.

Losing is fun.

Irony is, the fortress' randomly generated name was "Greatestfailure". I kept it only because it was hilarious at the time. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Dwarves can go berserk when they are extremely unhappy, for example after losing their friends and family.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: October 19, 2010, 07:16:40 pm »

Not the best artifact name, but I love the decorations.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Chandrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: October 20, 2010, 10:31:21 am »

Huh, cool. I don't think I've seen a deity who wasnt depicted as a dwarf before.

My current fort is set in an immense stretch of desert, where my dwarves build aboveground towers of glass to house themselves in. I've also build an underground Labyrinth where I trapped several FBs, and rigged a delivery system to drop captive goblins into the Labyrinth where the FBs can slaughter them at their whim.

durbu

• Bay Watcher
  • Halt! Hammerzeit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: October 20, 2010, 11:06:16 am »

My current fort is situated on a sea shore that's 1/4 ground 3/4 sea. There's a wooden fort on the shore and a giant tube leading towards the sea and then down under, where there's an underground fort at -100 just before the caverns.

I'm planning to build a giant clear glass dome under the sea for my dwarves and then disassemble the wooden fort, but for now I'm just building the infrastructure...
"One of the seven just drowned while cleaning saltwater from the seabed."

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: October 20, 2010, 12:18:21 pm »

Fort Lordsword (heehee) just made its first artifact! :D
Quote from: Urist McMetalcrafter
Anil adol, "The Glory of Complexity", an iron amulet

This is an iron amulet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of iron.

Because metal spikes are very complex. That, or this is Dorf humor at its finest.
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 3842