Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123195 times)

Duriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7035 on: October 15, 2010, 03:45:44 am »

Goblins sieged again. This time, they said hello to my giant magma cannon and ran away... But the siege banner didn't vanish. It looks like that is caused by invaders getting captured in a cage trap. I think I'll remove them from my entrance...

And the magma outside needs to clear out before I do any clean-up.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 03:47:55 am by Duriel »
An invisible lurker.

I have a YouTube channel!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7036 on: October 15, 2010, 05:23:52 pm »

Currently everything is perfect to the highest degree. From my perspective at least; the dwarves still don't have personal quarters nor have I built specialized workshop areas. The project is coming along well, however.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: October 15, 2010, 05:34:19 pm »

"Some migrants have arrived"  :D

So that bumps Townbrush up to 7 Dwarves. So I don't have to worry about losing the fort to the last 2 dwarves randomly collapsing from some disease. Now all I have to worry about are Zombies. And Forgotten Beasts. And Goblins. And Darnen. And pretty much everything else that is capable of injuring a dwarf.

::)

Townbrush Fun! Fact: There are more Forgotten Beasts on the map than Dwarves.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: October 15, 2010, 05:52:53 pm »

My fort has survived long enough to get a wave of immigrants today. :D One of them is a grand master brewer.  8)
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: October 15, 2010, 06:03:08 pm »

The era of peace and prosperity has ended; 3 goblin ambushes. The first was a lasher squad, most of whom were caught in cage traps, the second and third were axeman squads. All but 2 goblins were caught in cages, one was turned into a pincushion because he got caught on the wrong side of my drawbridge, the other had her shoulder and elbow severely injured but escaped. I know there are going to be tantrums from the troops, but at least the 4 that died didn't have any friends or family... Speaking of which one just went melancholy.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #7040 on: October 15, 2010, 06:30:19 pm »

"Some migrants have arrived"  :D

So that bumps Townbrush up to 7 Dwarves. So I don't have to worry about losing the fort to the last 2 dwarves randomly collapsing from some disease. Now all I have to worry about are Zombies. And Forgotten Beasts. And Goblins. And Darnen. And pretty much everything else that is capable of injuring a dwarf.

::)

Townbrush Fun! Fact: There are more Forgotten Beasts on the map than Dwarves.
Damn. You should totally make another fortress on the side to house all the immigrants until they can fight off the forgotten beasts. or just use magma. Eithers dwarfy enough.
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7041 on: October 15, 2010, 06:48:29 pm »

Blast it! Highhammer is under heavy siege from goblins, allied casualties are at least 10 and some dorves have gone into tantrums. Hopefully we can just barely ward them off -- Our entire army (~8 Dorves?) has more or less been crushed, leaving the civvies and hunters as the last defense.

...Highhammer belongs to the goblins now. It's sort of embarassing that a few ambushes could slaughter some 70 dorves, but, well, losing is fun and all. Maybe next time i'll hit Cotton Candy.

Still, this was a record run for me, my personal achievements were:
  • First fort to last more than 1 day
  • First fort to get more than 50 population
  • First fort to last more than 2 ingame years
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 07:08:44 pm by Mr. Argent »
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #7042 on: October 15, 2010, 07:36:55 pm »

I'm settling on a half rock / half grassland biome, building aboveground wooden houses for my populace.  :) I am, however, digging a huge moat that I will later fill with water, around what I hope will be a huge fortress / admisitrative area. I've also been linking the roofs of my wooden buildings for some rooftop battles later  :D

Also, I'm recording all the major actions and bloodlines of each dwarf, so I come up with some sort of history of the fort over the years.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7043 on: October 15, 2010, 07:41:46 pm »

Lot of work for a story that will probably end with "Rocks fell. Everybody Died."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7044 on: October 15, 2010, 08:18:54 pm »

Faintmetals, 25 Moonstone, 255

My civ is at war with the Elves for extra non-FB fun.  Their first ambush happened before I had my elf burner built, and ended almost as soon as it was completed, so I still haven't burnt any of them to a crisp in a vat of boiling magma.  I tried it out on some goblin ambushers, but a couple got across the bridge before a dwarf completed the second lever pull task so I had my militia beat them down.  Including the marksdwarfs, who proceeded to attempt to beat the goblins to death with their crossows.  It ended fatally for one of them, and the goblins camped on the side of a hill, which was also the side of my fortress.  A couple seasons pass and they won't leave, so I decide to create a single chamber magma vent over them, but the pumps were barely completed when they finally left.

Before that, I had tried baiting them with civvies to get them to move.  They were, for all intents and purposes, "stuck," it seemed.  I wasn't going to let my dwarfs out to have fun, but I was annoyed at goblins for just standing around refusing to walk through my traps.

I haven't even bothered to pierce the caverns yet.  With sediment, marble, a large lake and river, and a volcano, I'm basically self sufficient.  I've got beds in storage far in excess of any possible future migration, and metal ores for days.  They can siege indefinitely, and I don't think my dwarfs would ever have to leave the fortress ever again.

Yes, things are good in Faintmetals, nothing could possibly go wrong.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7045 on: October 15, 2010, 08:20:57 pm »

THIRD straight posession, maybe this one won't end with a suprisingly powerful dwarven child punching up all my dogs.

Going to need an alternate plan to get through the 3 layer aquifer, all the work I put into the current method... turns out I didn't leave enough room for pumps to get down through the third level.

So I'm just gonna drop the ceiling in and see what happens.

EDIT: Whew, just a black bronze artifact trumpet...

EDIT2: What the hell... a flock of vegetarian buzzards absolutely swarmed my above ground farm and made off with all the berries.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:35:58 pm by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7046 on: October 15, 2010, 08:48:03 pm »

EDIT2: What the hell... a flock of vegetarian buzzards absolutely swarmed my above ground farm and made off with all the berries.

When Toucan Sam turns to crime.....
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7047 on: October 15, 2010, 08:59:25 pm »

Yes, things are good in Faintmetals, nothing could possibly go wrong.

That is the worst phrase you could possibly utter whilst playing this game...
I make Spellcrafts!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #7048 on: October 15, 2010, 09:01:10 pm »

To Queen Unib Cerolaved
From the City of Lungtown, 21st Timber 1056
RE: Yearly status report for 1056

The Goblins seem to have caught on that we're not going to let them into our fort any time soon, and have stopped the constant sieges that inevitably end in under a month.  Maybe it was around the time they realized they'd lost close to twice as many Goblins as we have residents that they decided to back off a bit.  The haulers say they "kinda miss 'em", since all that otherwise worthless armor and clothing made for lots of busywork.  The haulers were promptly told to shut up and get back to lugging iron and steel to the stockpiles.

Speaking of iron, we may have over-produced just a bit.  Our iron stocks are growing in spite of the endless waves of masterwork barrels and bins coming out of the forges, and our fuel supplies are so ludicrous that we could turn the whole lot of it into steel and have enough left over to do it again.  Once we run out of magnetite, hematite, and limonite, we'll probably do just that.

The army's looking much healthier now than last year, with an already-legendary Sworddwarf squad and a quickly-rising Hammerdwarf squad.  We're thinking of eventually breaching the forbidden domain, and we want as strong a military as we can manage when we do so.  Unfortunately, we've run out of eligible candidates now, since the rest of the men of the fort are all either married or socialites, and of course the women have made it clear that their infants will be used as shields to the detriment of the entire fort in protest should they be recruited.

Our farming staff assures us that we have enough food and drink to last us 17 and 7 years, respectively, so we're not too worried about starving or dehydrating.  Our broker assures us that we're the wealthiest settlement on the planet now at 27.3 million DB of accumulated lucre, so we're also not too worried about being unable to negotiate with caravans.  What we are a little concerned about is how we seem to be running out of space quite rapidly.  The stockpiles will just have to be expanded to outside the central pillar...

You need not worry for the safety of this outpost, Your Majesty.  We're doing quite well, in spite of some rocky first years.  Hoping this letter reaches you safely and in good health (and the new diplomat has assured me it will).

Sincerely,
Baron "Humbert von Gikingen" Honoredpaddle
Sanity is for the weak.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7049 on: October 15, 2010, 09:24:31 pm »

Lost my legendary stonecrafter and jeweler to the dwarven desire to clean up blood from a gobbo ambush.

And then I met a penguin FB..... who proceeded to launch my military dwarf at a wall before being stabbed to death by a new recruit.

So now, I'm training up a new jeweler and speardorf.

Oh, and I found the HFS via fortifications, and walled those off so I don't get "Urist McDorf cancels Whatever: Scared of clowns stuck behind a wall." I has bluemetal now, and LOTS OF IT.

On my other computer, which is running a customized-modded version of 31.12, I recently started a new fort. Already have steel and bluemetal. Go me. Oh, and good thing I have a reaction that creates better-than-bluemetal metal now...
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 3842