Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122912 times)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7050 on: October 16, 2010, 02:08:24 am »

Apparently my fort smells delicious to unicorns, and herds of them keep swarming into my diabolically horrible entrance and exploding.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7051 on: October 16, 2010, 04:43:47 am »

To seal the deal with the elven caravan, a goblin ambush decided to hurry them along. I sealed my fortress while they were distracted, and it turns out they actually abandoned a great deal of their goods in my fortress. The only casualty was, unfortunately, one of my miners. An acceptable casualty, but he will be avenged when the new dwarven elite squad rush out to hack down the Goblins.

... This being Dwarf Fortress, I naturally expect my squad to be eradicated and their armour to be smelted into utensils.

EDIT: Oh, the goblins fled. My already miserable swordsdwarf suffered a... well:

She's alive, but confined in the infirmary for the time being. This should be fun.

EDIT2: The swordsdwarf above just murdered a pikedwarf in the Danger Room and was sentenced to 26 days in prison. Good job.

EDIT3: The sentence was upgraded to 51 days after she went and murdered a woodcutter on the way to jail.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 05:07:14 am by Serio »

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: October 16, 2010, 04:52:46 am »

Not even to my first summer yet and cougars from above, crocodiles from below.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: October 16, 2010, 04:53:23 am »

Exploding unicorns?  This is relevant to my interests.

The elves returned with more horribly mediocre animals.  Macaque.  Raccoon.  Goat.  Horse.  Macaque, macaque.  Oh, look, a marmot.  Joy.  Seriously, why do they keep bringing me common domesticated crap animals like monkeys and vermin and giant desert scor--HOLY CRAP. :D

Got my first ambush in the winter, a squad of lashers led by a pikegoblin.  They waltzed past the pathetic defenses and one of them started chasing my expedition leader around the map.  It learned the error of its ways when it finally caught him...  the guy pinch-hits as a miner.

Made a hideous mess of z -6 with accidental/botched dig designations.  Must find out if DFreveal can be used to hide tiles without doing any revealing first.  :[
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: October 16, 2010, 04:59:05 am »

Kraken, can't you seal the mining shafts to prevent FBs getting in for the while?
Someone should make a chart of the population of Townbrush over time. It seems that once you were in trouble with 10 dwarves left, but then your pop was brought back up to 20, now you have problems with between 2 and 7 dwarves.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: October 16, 2010, 05:40:37 am »

I don't know, but I almost find the end of Smithdeserts to be less bloody than that of Darkmeadow. Basically, after the ambush on the elven caravan, everything went chaotic. The swordsmaster returned to the danger room, and, as I stated, murdered two dwarves. She was sealed in there, and the lower levels flooded. Unfortunately, I hadn't thought of the ice and the hunger of the dwarves. Come winter, the dwarves jump onto the ice and try to flee, only to get ambushed by the same goblins that caused the insanity of the swordsmaster. The goblins ran through the opening in the fortress wall and took the stockpile areas. The only survivors are the dwarves in the appartment section, one injured miner in the infirmary, a farmer outside, and a dwarf near the stairwell, as well as the insane swordsmaster, now surrounded by marble walls and 7/7 water on the other side.

Granzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: October 16, 2010, 07:42:07 am »

One of my dwarfes got into a mood and created a wooden earring. First I was underwhelmed but shortly after the earring was finished an elven caravan arrived.
Talk about perfect timing.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: October 16, 2010, 07:50:11 am »

One of my dwarfes got into a mood and created a wooden earring. First I was underwhelmed but shortly after the earring was finished an elven caravan arrived.
Talk about perfect timing.

You can't trade artifacts.

Granzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: October 16, 2010, 08:42:40 am »

Yes I have noticed that too. But the timing was still perfect.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: October 16, 2010, 08:52:46 am »

Yes I have noticed that too. But the timing was still perfect.

Soooo.. Why exactly?

About my fortress: I finished the excavations for my megaproject, and am currently moving my entire green glass blocks stockpile to directly under the dome. I wrote a quick program to give me the exact designation map for the whole dome. Floor 1 (of 20) is almost done.

Granzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: October 16, 2010, 09:28:44 am »

To repeat myself: It was a wooden artifact.
And you all know how much the elves like that.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: October 16, 2010, 09:51:54 am »

i gave an order,to water my underground farm.
asked one dwarf to pull the lever.
then i forgot it.
when i came back-OH GAWD!!! entire fort almost drowned!
I am a Goober.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: October 16, 2010, 12:18:32 pm »

Embarked by an untamed wilds river and shrubland(with a cave) to find that the river has a 1 z-level waterfall that overflows.
I expect I'll have a small lake soon.
EDIT:Sealed a minotaur named Tad in the cavern. I imagine he was a Tad bit annoyed.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 01:02:36 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: October 16, 2010, 02:52:34 pm »

Just finished the base of my dome. As you can see, it will be HUGE.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: October 16, 2010, 03:02:07 pm »

Remember what I said about my expedition leader making that one lasher regret catching him?

Yeah.  So he dispatched one, I slapped down high/restricted traffic areas to make him run AWAY from the rest, but by Armok he wasn't havin' none o' that fancy stuff when he was TIRED, AND HUNGRY, AND THIRSTY.

He was doomed.  All he had to do was just run... away, and...  he turned around and just mined through the rest of them instead.  There are trails of pooling blood in my dry moat where the maimed and dying--the ones that weren't killed instantly, that is--tried in vain to crawl away.  Body parts everywhere.  I think...  I think he got all of them.  The pikeman's corpse is underneath a lasher's.  The combat log is full of him channelling out throats and lungs and hearts.  I like how it specifies that a goblin loses his grip on his boots when HIS ENTIRE LOWER BODY IS SEVERED. With a no-quality iron pick.  He's gone from no combat skills at all to dabbling in most (I guess that Xcat leather capX helped?) and adequate in fighting.  His stats are average, except for being flimsy and slow to heal, so I guess it's a good thing he didn't sustain so much as a single bruise or scratch.  He's not even a legendary miner.

And he's only happy.  Oh crap it is time to build a bedroom with lots of cows in it because I am now more scared of the Stinthäd the Comedic Crucifixion than the gobbos.

Also, second GDS from the elves.  BREEDING PAIR HECK YEAH :]

ETA and there are toes and fingers and small body parts that actually got flung up out of the moat in the severing process.  Axmu Pickfodder's ears are six-seven squares away from the rest of him and one z-level up.  THIS IS THE BEST GAME IN THE WORLD :D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 03:14:11 pm by melomel »
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 3842