Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123095 times)

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7005 on: October 14, 2010, 01:10:51 pm »

What weapons...

I'm making a bunch of crafts to sell to those elfy things. I'm not doing to badly, as things go. My squad is outfitted, albeit with wooden weapons, and if all goes right, they'll have metal in a few more seasons.

Oh, and one of my dwarves made some earing or something, i'll just sell it...

I'll start farming when I have 240 seeds I can plant. I already have 400+ plants for the fort to eat, so it's fine, and i've almost got all the seeds.

(question: as soon as my butcher butchered something, all idle dwarves ran into his miasma-filled workshop - were they hauling something?)
Set up a glass furnace (so you don't have to waste ore) and pump out large serrated green glass discs. Base value is like 252 and after a while your glassmaker will be pumping out discs of 1500 average value. If you don't have sand then you can do the same thing with copper or something but I'd suggest mugs then instead of metal weapons (depending on your ore yeild. You can also get sand off the merchants as well but not nearly enough to make glass discs a viable trade good.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: October 14, 2010, 01:14:03 pm »

More darn migrants... I wish I could find magma to melt them with.

Ugh, at least I got the farm (biggest size possible) planted, and have finally gotten the smelters going.

Might end up with gold weaponry or whatnot, I''m not sure if I have acess to the flux/other stones required to make any non-squishy metal.

EDIT:OK your post came up whilst I was typing so...

I might as well make a glass furnace, there's nothing stopping me. Sand is possibly an issue, but i've been making crafts to trade to the peoples.

I'm going to dig down in search of ores! Onwards!
Everybody!

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: October 14, 2010, 01:42:32 pm »

Started a new succession fort between me and my friend.  Finally assigned my bookkeeper and broker and--holy crap 980000? created wealth?   :o  Upright spoiler in stocks,  prospector reveals 200k+ gold!

Time for a giant golden statue of Armok erupting magma to guard the spoiler.

Azgog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: October 14, 2010, 02:33:08 pm »

God damnit. Dwarven stupidity is sometimes bad enough, but combined with bad timing, it's assfuck.

The second migrant wave to my newborn fort happened to arrive about the exact same time a blizzard man crossed over to my map a rather small distance away, directly south of my fort's entrance. The migrants run across the thing mid-way to my fort's entrance, and deem it a good idea to run for their miserable lives. A reasonable solution, were it not for the fact that they ran northwards, directly into my fort. Got no military or working traps, so the blizzard man is killing everyone now. By pure luck, I managed to evacuate an acceptable number of dorfs to the lower levels, and I'm hoping now that the blizzy will leave after it's done with the slaughtering. I also hope those fucking migrants get what they deserve at the cold claws of the ice fiend.
"I REQUIRE LUMBER"
"We have plenty of lumber"
".... BUT I WANT THIS KIND!"
"What kind?"
"THE KIND WHERE YOU SHUT THE HELL UP!"

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: October 14, 2010, 02:43:52 pm »

Woo-hoo.

An electrum left- gauntlet. Least my metalworker leveled a bunch.

How does gold rate for slashing weapons? are they better than wood?
Everybody!

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #7010 on: October 14, 2010, 03:00:03 pm »

Oh, and one of my dwarves made some earing or something, i'll just sell it...

You can't sell artifacts, unfortunately..
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: October 14, 2010, 03:16:04 pm »

I now have 15 artifacts after 6 in-game years with exactly 49 dwarves and none of them needed shell. I'm lucky! Anyway, I rebuilt my workshops in alcoves facing west, because you can never be sure.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: October 14, 2010, 03:39:29 pm »

How does gold rate for slashing weapons? are they better than wood?

If you mean a gold artifact axe or something (as you can't make weapons and armor from it normally) then it will probably be pretty decent still and is much better than wood. However, gold is a more dense material that would be better for blunt weapons. For slashing weapons, don't use anything less than bronze, then steel, then adamantine.

Fortressrasped is now on it's 6th year and has had some pretty decent artifacts so far. A copper warhammer with bands of alunite and spikes of copper is now in a weapon trap giving my mayor a royal bedroom, along with a rock salt coffin for a great mausoleum. Got a bismuth bronze cabinet that i'm saving for some unhappy dwarf's bedroom. Also got an adamantine table with spikes of adamantine worth 720000 (instant royal room wherever it's placed).

Finally there is my awesome adamantine buckler worth 892800 dwarfbucks:

'This is an adamantine buckler. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with adamantine and encircled with bands of sylvite. This object menaces with spikes of sylvite and yellow zircon.

On the item is an image of Tun heartshield the dwarf and dwarves in sylvite. The dwarves are refusing Tun heartshield. Tun Heartshield is making a submissive gesture. The artwork relates to the removal of the dwarf Tun Heartshield form the position of outpost liaison of the Waning Stake in the late autumn of 253.

On the item is an image of three diamonds in forgotten beast bone.'

Its being held by my militia commander, who is now an expert axedwarf too after mutilating several unicorns and goblins.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:53:08 pm by tehc »

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: October 14, 2010, 03:52:23 pm »

There's no ores for anything weapon-wise.

I'll just keep digging...
Everybody!

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: October 14, 2010, 04:06:32 pm »

After playing DF for the first time in ages, I build a decent fort. My metal industry takes a long time to make and so I only have wrestlers when the first ambush comes. I assumed I was going to survive since the first ambush is usually also wrestlers and mine were dwarves.

Except the goblins showed up with two ambushes, one completely made up of bowmen. My army survived what must have been less than ten steps.

The goblins rushed my defenses and began the slaughter. As with most imminent deaths, I brought up Dwarf Therapist and began hitting "reload" over and over to see how long it took.

I blinked and checked the main menu. My dwarves fought back and killed every heavily-armed gobbo invaders. Though admittedly it was probably the tamed hippo and croc from the elves. Either way, a single group of migrants brought my numbers back up to 38. And I'm alive.

And the three most important survivors are trantruming. Hopefully the heavily-migrant build means I don't get a spiral...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 04:13:02 pm by Kza »
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: October 14, 2010, 07:08:08 pm »

Just got an artifact human leather robe, which I Planepack-glitched to include very bit of leather in my fort. So it also has hoary marmot, goblin, and probably a bit of elf leather on there too.

It is full of win.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: October 14, 2010, 07:25:40 pm »

Outpost Wallpacked has started! Strike the earth!

Strike the Earth movement halted by aquifer layers... not one, not two, but three, and two of them are sand.  This is going to be Fun.
Current Fort: NatureRags

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: October 14, 2010, 07:35:46 pm »

Starting to regret getting into all those caverns. Now, every bit of muddy tile (smoothed even) or sandy ground in my fortress is sprouting annoying, path blocking trees. So much floor to build...

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #7018 on: October 14, 2010, 08:57:34 pm »

Lungtown's lookin' cheeky.  With 119 inhabitants and over 15 million DB in wealth, this burgeoning outpost is a prime target for marauding Goblins.  A pity for said marauders that the entrance is utterly impossible to get past thanks to hundreds of cage traps.  At least 50 Goblins have died at the hands of Lungtown engineers in the last year, thanks to the Tower of Death (an in-progress busywork tower whose upper floors contain the rotting carcasses of past sieges, second floor contains caged Goblins, and first floor contains enough weapon traps to dice an entire unarmed retinue of Goblins into Goblin chunks).  The smelters have been busy with the iron and steel production, while the farmers have managed to produce enough food and drink to last for about a decade.  The most remarkable thing is that nobody save outsiders has died in Lungtown (a diplomat and 3 caravan workers are the only Goblin-induced casualties).  That will doubtless change around the time the expedition into the deep begins, of course...
Sanity is for the weak.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: October 14, 2010, 09:22:49 pm »

Well that was fast.

This map is coated in water, so when people started getting thirsty, I figured it was just a case of not having booze, ordered some booze made, and went back to damming up the aquifer.

Apparently dwarves won't drink from murky pools, running rivers, nothing.  I even tapped a murky pool and flooded the farms again and that didn't do anything.

So there's a massive swath of deaths from dehydration, and I figure I'm doomed.

LO! MIGRANTS!

The entire original fortress died off about 2 minutes after 20 migrants showed up.

Wallpacked lives on...
Current Fort: NatureRags
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 3842