Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123216 times)

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7020 on: October 14, 2010, 10:14:29 pm »

Well that was fast.

This map is coated in water, so when people started getting thirsty, I figured it was just a case of not having booze, ordered some booze made, and went back to damming up the aquifer.

Apparently dwarves won't drink from murky pools, running rivers, nothing.  I even tapped a murky pool and flooded the farms again and that didn't do anything.

So there's a massive swath of deaths from dehydration, and I figure I'm doomed.

LO! MIGRANTS!

The entire original fortress died off about 2 minutes after 20 migrants showed up.

Wallpacked lives on...
You have to designate damned drinking zones.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: October 14, 2010, 10:22:23 pm »

I tried, on the pools, on the river, none of it would take.  They all said Water Source (0)
Current Fort: NatureRags

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #7022 on: October 14, 2010, 10:24:09 pm »

You probably embarked in an area with saltwater, then.
Sanity is for the weak.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: October 14, 2010, 10:26:33 pm »

Ah... didn't think of that... not near the ocean at all though.  There is a lake upstream of the river, but I didn't even embark in that region.

Do pumps still desalinate?
Current Fort: NatureRags

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: October 14, 2010, 10:40:17 pm »

Only 4 Dwarves remain. Several died after the fight with Rifi, most likely due to his poisonous vapors. I can't risk anything getting into the fort, so I'm going to throw it into lockdown until migrants show up.

Honestly though, it is kind of depressing. These 4 dwarves just wander through the fort endlessly, carefully stepping over the corpses that litter the roads. Blindly following orders, as if trying to ignore the inevitable fact that they will soon suffer the same fate as their friends. And there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. All I can do is watch them work, knowing that anything could send the fort into chaos.

That's why I decided to do something drastic. I ordered all of the Dwarves, aside from one hauler, to join the militia. I will work them to the bone, equip them in the finest armor, and make sure that they stop at nothing to protect Townbrush. They will become the finest soldiers my fort as ever seen, or die in the process. They have no skills. No talent. No hope. But that's not going to stop me from trying.

I have come to far to give up now.

EDIT: So immediately after typing all of this, my hauler randomly bled to death.

Fuck you game. Fuck you.

EDIT 2: Oh god another one. There's only 2 left. This has to be because of the Forgotten Beast. But there isn't anything I can do about this. I'm about to lose the fort to an enemy I can't even fight.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:47:26 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7025 on: October 14, 2010, 11:12:23 pm »

Only 4 Dwarves remain. Several died after the fight with Rifi, most likely due to his poisonous vapors. I can't risk anything getting into the fort, so I'm going to throw it into lockdown until migrants show up.

Honestly though, it is kind of depressing. These 4 dwarves just wander through the fort endlessly, carefully stepping over the corpses that litter the roads. Blindly following orders, as if trying to ignore the inevitable fact that they will soon suffer the same fate as their friends. And there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. All I can do is watch them work, knowing that anything could send the fort into chaos.

That's why I decided to do something drastic. I ordered all of the Dwarves, aside from one hauler, to join the militia. I will work them to the bone, equip them in the finest armor, and make sure that they stop at nothing to protect Townbrush. They will become the finest soldiers my fort as ever seen, or die in the process. They have no skills. No talent. No hope. But that's not going to stop me from trying.

EDIT: So immediately after typing all of this, my hauler randomly bled to death.

Fuck you game. Fuck you.

EDIT 2: Oh god another one. There's only 2 left. This has to be because of the Forgotten Beast. But there isn't anything I can do about this. I'm about to lose the fort to an enemy I can't even fight.

If you loose this thing you've got to reclaim it.  7 Soldiers, every point in weapons/armor. NO FOOD. NO PETS.

...Final Destination.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: October 14, 2010, 11:15:09 pm »

Fuck you game. Fuck you.

You MUST do a story in the Stories/Tales section. Townbrush: The Fort That Never Dies.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: October 14, 2010, 11:38:50 pm »

I'm currently trading for booze, cloth, and leather, and I have the carpenters working hard at beds. I finished the wall around my fort, so as soon as I finish the beds I'll be building cage traps and ropes galore. I have not one, but two legendary craftdwarves (stone and wood), so I have them pumping out crafts. I've also got half my fort on smoothing/engraving duty... I wonder what I'll get...?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: October 14, 2010, 11:49:23 pm »

Today, during a siege, I discovered that ballista bolts will hit a mount, but not its rider.  Later, during the clean up, I accidentally discovered that mothers and babies must use the same mount/rider system.  :'(

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: October 15, 2010, 12:04:37 am »

So, just before the merchants decided to leave, an ettin came. And there was an idiot fishing, so the ettin came along and chased him.

Due to the cage traps in front of the stairs down to my fort, I now have an ettin-in-a-cage and zero casualties. Huzzah!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: October 15, 2010, 12:14:45 am »

Pray, pray like mad that one of them has a really awesome immune system and can resist the poison.
On the bright side, you could have a really awesome hermit fort until someone shows up to help you...

They're already dead at the time of writing this, aren't they?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: October 15, 2010, 12:21:01 am »

Wave six of undead elephants and counting, only one of original seven down, but its bad, i kill them off and another mobs instantly there to replace them. so fun. :)

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: October 15, 2010, 02:27:36 am »

My civ symbol is a flask. I think that sums up the entire game in one succinct image.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: October 15, 2010, 02:46:54 am »

Five waves of Goblin ambushes, but far enough apart so that I could clear the traps of bodies and captured gobbos, at least for the start.

Then a dozen or so humans invade from the other side, and sit there.  Ettin comes in with great potential; immediately the humans slaughter it, then they charge in and kill all the remaining goblins.  Then the remaining humans ALL get decapitated by the same weapon trap.  There are a lot of heads rolling around my courtyard. I can't make totems with human skulls, can I?

All the time there's an open, non-trapped entrance on the other side of the fort - I forgot to raise the bridge there.  Go figure.

Also a forgotten beast composed of snow invades, kills a dog, then gets beaten to death by a beginning marksdwarf with a bronze crossbow.

Nature is conspiring to keep Helmlobsters alive, despite the odds....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: October 15, 2010, 02:53:11 am »

Dug in good in the glacier. There's already pretty red/white carpet of goblin blood and snow at the gate. Now I can turn to interior design.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 3842