Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123221 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6990 on: October 14, 2010, 03:01:40 am »

Thanks to the stirling work of people on the SDL version of Dwarf Fortress, I can once again play Dwarf Fortress on my main computer with the annoying, OpenGL incompatible, ATI 3850 video card.

ANYWAY...

Current fortress; Outpost Niravuz, or "Onemines" was settled at the bottom of a U shaped valley. Built into the side of an outcropping hillside, heavy defences are drawn up and well underway just incase any nasty creatures come down from the haunted mountains that surround the area (None as of writing this, sadly. Or not, as I have no military yet).

I'm working on a Minas Tirith style defence, but only two tiered. The idea is to have enemies walk through the lower tier and, depending on the angle which they attack from, I can raise bridges in the tiers to make them take the longest route up to the entrance of my fort proper.

Attempts visual accompaniment...
Code: [Select]
Right...

Lower Tier (Not built) Mirrored on the eastern edge
###########++++++++++++++++++
###########+````````````````````
###########+````````````````````     Legend:
###++++++++++````````````````````     # = Empty Space
###+___ +```````````````********       ` = Flat Ground
###+___ +```````````````********       + = Wall
###+++++```````***************        ^ = Ramp Up
<%%````^^^```***************        < = Ramp down
<%%````````````***************       % = Bridge
<%%````````````***************       * = Solid Ground
####+++++++++++***************

Upper Tier
####### +++++++++++++++
####### +``````````+_____    Legend:
##+++++++``````````+<___     # = Empty Space
##+```````````````` ++++()+  ` = Flat Ground
##+```````````````````` _      + = Wall
#++++````````````````++_      D = Depot
#+___+```````````````+DDD    _ = Paved Road/ Constructed floor
#+___+``______________DDD   ~ = Water (stored z lvl below)
#+++++``_```````````+DDD   () = Door
#~~~~~`_````````````++_

That's close enough. It has a number of towers around the parimeter that'll house crossbowdwarves. The Upper tier also has ramparts for patrols to fire down to the lower tier.
Not seeable on the map is to the south in the middle, below the Depot, is the entrance to my fortress. Flanking the fortress entrance is two moats with retractable bridges spanning them. These are the paths from the lower tier.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6991 on: October 14, 2010, 04:27:01 am »

The doods broke into the cavern from above, and immediately they noticed something dreadful: endless giant spider webs, all over the space. At first there was some excitement in the ranks, as among the giant spider webs were also diamonds, rubies and natural silver, but they weren't sure what to do. As they returned to the surface to plan their next move, a swarm of naked mole dogs jumped into the tunnel behind them and started infesting the lower levels of the new fortress with amazing swiftness.

It was decided, rather wisely, to wall up the cavern until a military could be built to assist any mining efforts in the tunnel. On the way down, the naked mole dogs could be seen flitting in and out of the tunnels, like the Aliens in that movie, "Mary Poppins". The dwarves went insane with terror. Some locked themselves in their bedrooms, others huddles in the well room for safety, while the naked mole dogs raided the food storage facilities and glutted on plump helmet biscuits.

Using every last ounce of fortitude, the mechanic built some traps in an upstairs corridor, and the dwarves waited in subzero temperatures outside, clutching steamy mugs of heated dwarven ale, waiting for the extermination to begin.

*snap*

*snap*

*snap*

They returned downstairs to clean up the little bits of naked mole dog, walled up the caverns, and went back to their dwarvenly duties.

Meanwhile, the spores of mysterious underground mushrooms had started to sprout all over the fortress, colonizing the structure. The dwarves examined them, found some to be edible, and some to be useful for construction. They had cheated death in the horrors of the caverns, and had come out of it with some interesting discoveries, waiting for their next move.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6992 on: October 14, 2010, 07:23:53 am »

That would be COOL!

I've started a new fort, and it's going well- I've immediately set up a (mostly) walled farm area (only acessable from fort, unless you went over the walls).

I've set up 18 basic rooms (-7 for origional dwarves) and set one as an office for my bookeeper.

I've got the resources to make a still, so I can brew almost immediately. I'm not having dwarves doing nothing after only a few months!

(Can you guys tell me how to do a job if they aren't a practitioner of it (say for example, making a carpenter brew a drink) if it is possible?)

Download Dwarf Therapist http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.0

Makes the game much less frustrating. It's basically a must have.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6993 on: October 14, 2010, 07:33:25 am »

I was building an underwater fortress. Dumping the ice wasn't working right, so I built ice floors over the water (ice at the time) instead. When summer came and the water thawed, I caved in the floor. It took out my fortress, and opened a hole to the mining tunnels, draining the lake. There is now a large hole littered in kaolinite, bauxite, ice, and corpses. That was Fun.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6994 on: October 14, 2010, 07:49:31 am »

I'm trying to figure out something to even do.

Should I just keep digging forever?
Everybody!

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6995 on: October 14, 2010, 07:57:28 am »

I'm trying to figure out something to even do.

Should I just keep digging forever?

Figuring out what to do? If that's the case, then I assume you have already learned how to deal with keeping your dwarves well-fed and drunk, fending off ambushes and sieges, FBs and exploring the caves.

If those things bore you, try building an elaborate, inescapable trap. Or a mega construction (like, a magma kill-sat, a giant disco ball spanning the map, a giant realistic above ground keep, whatever you can think of) Or you could try embarking on a more hostile map and see if you can simply survive there (think glaciers, haunted forests, multiple aquifer areas). And then you could always try to colonize the circus
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6996 on: October 14, 2010, 08:01:39 am »

Testing the device in GloveFlier has revealed a single stuck pixel in the display grid, which seems to be the result of a single missed pressure plate to bridge linkage.  This has been corrected, but will take a while to test again, as it takes a lot longer than I expected to completely fill all of the supply water channels with water, and then even longer to drain all the water out of the device when modifications need to be made.  While I wait the construction team has been put to work mass-producing doors, floor hatches, and floodgates for the next stage of construction.

Meanwhile, Tiny Tirist the Legendary Cripple has reached adulthood.  First order of business was to disable all labors on her, since it's not like she'll ever be able to do useful work.  The doctors have done all they can, but there's no healing a torn lower spine.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6997 on: October 14, 2010, 08:16:13 am »

Well, nothing ever attacks... I've not built anything of value, i'm too useless.

The only way to get to magma is by digging down, so that's what I'll do. No magma = no weapons=everyone dies (well, I could train a wrestler millitary, but..).

Well, I'm too lazy to figure out how to get the stuff for a different kind of forge.
Well, without trading, but I didn't build the depot fast enough

I figure that i'll learn how to move magma by the time I get there. Hey, if someone dies (i'm looking at YOU Urist), then at least it's something new.

Everybody!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6998 on: October 14, 2010, 08:29:05 am »

Sounds like you need to hurry up and get a Depot built, along with a craftsdwarf's workshop.  And maybe a mechanic's workshop.  Then buy some weapons.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6999 on: October 14, 2010, 08:31:41 am »

I've gotten those workshops you mentioned and the depot.

I suppose I'll gather every single plant on the map while I wait. The extra seeds can't hurt.

Oh yeah, I can't remember if I've made a jewlers. Everyone likes useless cut gems, right?
Everybody!

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7000 on: October 14, 2010, 10:15:30 am »

I've gotten those workshops you mentioned and the depot.

I suppose I'll gather every single plant on the map while I wait. The extra seeds can't hurt.

Oh yeah, I can't remember if I've made a jewlers. Everyone likes useless cut gems, right?

Don't bother.
Just sell meals and weapons.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: October 14, 2010, 10:34:46 am »

What weapons...

I'm making a bunch of crafts to sell to those elfy things. I'm not doing to badly, as things go. My squad is outfitted, albeit with wooden weapons, and if all goes right, they'll have metal in a few more seasons.

Oh, and one of my dwarves made some earing or something, i'll just sell it...

I'll start farming when I have 240 seeds I can plant. I already have 400+ plants for the fort to eat, so it's fine, and i've almost got all the seeds.

(question: as soon as my butcher butchered something, all idle dwarves ran into his miasma-filled workshop - were they hauling something?)
Everybody!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7002 on: October 14, 2010, 10:38:50 am »

Yes, meat & edible guts to food stockpiles, refuse to refuse stockpiles and so on.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7003 on: October 14, 2010, 10:50:52 am »

Ah, so THATS why there are organs and stuff on my refuse pile!

Everybody!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: October 14, 2010, 11:33:39 am »

I completed my Atom Smasher Setup and instantly smashed exactly 22317 rocks at once. My FPS rose to 45!
The deconstruction is extremely painful though.
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 3842