Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123430 times)

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6960 on: October 13, 2010, 04:11:04 pm »

Well, I sorted out the corpse problem, and designated the entire fort be smoothed, as I couldn't think of anything else to do.

Question: If you have plants/barrels/still/ loads of dwarves doing nothing , what are you missing if you want to brew things? 

They haven't had alcohol in a year or so...

I've also kept digging downstairs, as I may as well some more workshops, just because. It's not like the dwarves are actually going to DO anything with them.

Ugh, another boring year in Goldmazes. At least i'm not dead yet, though I can't make weapons, so my millitary has a grand total of... a hammer to kill stuff with. Hey, if I'm lucky they'll get good at wrestling.

Not that my fort has attracted anything in AGES.

Everybody!

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6961 on: October 13, 2010, 04:24:22 pm »

This is one bit I never understand. Why is the statue masterwork when it must have hundreds of gouges in it? By the end it must look like something off the scrapheap.

It's a masterwork statue of a gouged guy?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6962 on: October 13, 2010, 04:32:27 pm »

It magically transforms into a statue of whoever killed it. it is unlikely there are any gouges at all.

Also, Internet Kraken, you need to make an awesome tale of the fall of Townbrush, it deserves it.

In less interesting news; the possessed jeweler i mentioned in the facepalm moments thread went insane, and not because he didn't have his materials, he had 'begun a mysterious construction'. Apparently the game didn't like me forbidding/unforbidding his materials.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:48:58 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6963 on: October 13, 2010, 04:38:47 pm »

Well, I sorted out the corpse problem, and designated the entire fort be smoothed, as I couldn't think of anything else to do.

Question: If you have plants/barrels/still/ loads of dwarves doing nothing , what are you missing if you want to brew things? 

They haven't had alcohol in a year or so...
Do any dwarves have the brewing labor enabled? Are there brewable plants around and are they marked in the kitchen screen (under 'z') as brewable?

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6964 on: October 13, 2010, 04:58:48 pm »

There aren't any plants anymore.

Theres ONE planter doing anything. If he didn't keep returning to the meeting hall every five minutes, I could actually have been able to plant some of my 400+ seeds.

I've been making cages, so I can butcher some stray animals- I've got a lot of walking meat walking around.

I've a population of 48 dorfs, and 35-40 don't move. I'm not even able to make anything out of metal, as I lack the coal required.Despite this, my metalsmith has claimed the workshop, when before he had avoided it like the plague. I doubt anything good will come of this.

Ugh,if I abandon and start again, i'll just be put in the same position...

Everybody!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6965 on: October 13, 2010, 05:07:03 pm »

There aren't any plants anymore.

Theres ONE planter doing anything. If he didn't keep returning to the meeting hall every five minutes, I could actually have been able to plant some of my 400+ seeds.

I've been making cages, so I can butcher some stray animals- I've got a lot of walking meat walking around.

I've a population of 48 dorfs, and 35-40 don't move. I'm not even able to make anything out of metal, as I lack the coal required.Despite this, my metalsmith has claimed the workshop, when before he had avoided it like the plague. I doubt anything good will come of this.

Ugh,if I abandon and start again, i'll just be put in the same position...

You don't need cages to butcher your animals, just a butchers' shop and animals designated to be butchered.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6966 on: October 13, 2010, 05:13:08 pm »

I realised that shortly after posting that post.

That doesn't change the fact that the planters aren't planting. I haven't enough animals to make the number of dwarves I have last.

As my miners ACTUALLY BEGAN TO MOVE I'm going to reach the magma layer...

If I survive, I'll abandon and restart.
Everybody!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6967 on: October 13, 2010, 05:16:12 pm »

Also, Internet Kraken, you need to make an awesome tale of the fall of Townbrush, it deserves it.

Agrees. He should compile all his posts from here into a story thread in the community section. Also post the map of Townbrush to the dmfa.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6968 on: October 13, 2010, 05:16:49 pm »

The month following the Darnen invasion went about as well as I thought it would. Dwarves tanruming constantly, corpses spreading miasma through the lower levels, and injured and diseased dwarves collapsing before suffering horrible and agonizing deaths due to stravation.  One of the forge masters was crippled whilst walking up the main mine shaft. Dozens of dwarves must have passed him, people he used to work with and called his friends, all of them ignoring his cries for help. Knowing that they couldn't possibly keep their old friends alive, and that it was better to let him die now rather than suffer for months in the hospital before eventually withering away.

Also one the masons was accidentally impaled on the repeating spike trap.

This brought down the population of Townbrush to 9 dwarves. 9 dwarves trying to piece together the remains of Townbrush. Then some incredibly foolish migrants arrived, bringing the population up to 14. None of them knew how to wield an axe though, so the military remained empty.

Of course, that's when a Forgotten Beast decided to pay a visit. Rifi Tofilerine, a giant skinless mole that belches toxic gas. Not exactly the most intimidating of fell monsters. Still, he announced his arrival by decapitating the new mayor. This of course was an issue because nobody in the fort can fight to save their life. And the last time I sent unskilled and unarmored dwarves to fight a forgotten beast, it resulted in the haulers having to scrape their friends corpses off the caverns walls. So I drafted 10 dwarves, and ordered them to find whatever gear was lying around as a result of the constantly goblin sieges. Right now they are scrambling through the fort trying to properly equip themselves. Meanwhile Rifi is crawling through the deep roads, mauling any poor dwarves who happened to be down their at the time.

The total population of Townbrush is now 8 terrified dwarves, and the unluckiest child in the world. I've ordered them to stand near the exit of the mines, waiting for the beast to make its way to the surface. This could easily be the final fight. If Rifi kills them, Townbrush will come to an end. There's nothing I can do but hope that one of them manages to land a lucky hit while Rifi is busy chewing on dwarven bones.

The suspense is killing me!

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6969 on: October 13, 2010, 05:23:56 pm »

I can't wait to find out what's happening. I figure the child will survive, because this is DF and that's the cruelest outcome.

Heh, my dorfs are hunting vermin for food. Glad to see them doing something at last.
By the why, what does the 'melt' option do?

EDIT: Dug down. Single troglodyte. Everyone worthwhile dead. Got meat. Abandoned.

Repeat...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 05:45:18 pm by Wolf Tengu »
Everybody!

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: October 13, 2010, 05:43:29 pm »

I can't wait to find out what's happening. I figure the child will survive, because this is DF and that's the cruelest outcome.

Heh, my dorfs are hunting vermin for food. Glad to see them doing something at last.
By the why, what does the 'melt' option do?

Mark stuff to be melted.
Tell smelter to melt stuff.
Melting ensues.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6971 on: October 13, 2010, 06:04:09 pm »

I'll remember that for my next fort.

Everybody!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: October 13, 2010, 06:19:34 pm »

"The Farmer hacks the Forgotten Beast in the head with her =adamantine battle axe= and the severed part sails of in an arc!"

Thank god adamantine makes up for a complete lack of skill. Rifi made his way to the surface, right into the ambush the Dwarves had set up. They swarmed him, attempting to tear the beast apart through sheer numbers. It simply couldn't survive a vicious swarm of adamantine clad peasants. Of course, this victory was not without a price. In addition to the Dwarves that had been killed by Rifi earlier in the attack, a mason dwarf was horribly injured during the attack. Still, Townbrush has managed to survive another day. The only hope at this point is that migrants will soon arrive to replace the dead, and subsequently haul away their rotting corpses. You're more likely to see a skeleton than a living creature when you walk through the halls of Townbrush.

The population of Townbrush now consists of 7 Dwarves. You might be wondering what happened to the child I mentioned earlier. Apparently, he doesn't exist. I can't find any evidence of him in the game, so I can only assume that DT is glitched and thinks he is still alive.

Also some people were asking for an uploaded map of Townbrush, so here it is. I haven't used that website before, so I apologize if I did anything wrong.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6973 on: October 13, 2010, 06:56:14 pm »

I just had this terrible mental image, of Townsbrush updating to the next version and all the fallen dwarves rising as zombies to finish the job.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: October 13, 2010, 07:00:56 pm »

That would be COOL!

I've started a new fort, and it's going well- I've immediately set up a (mostly) walled farm area (only acessable from fort, unless you went over the walls).

I've set up 18 basic rooms (-7 for origional dwarves) and set one as an office for my bookeeper.

I've got the resources to make a still, so I can brew almost immediately. I'm not having dwarves doing nothing after only a few months!

(Can you guys tell me how to do a job if they aren't a practitioner of it (say for example, making a carpenter brew a drink) if it is possible?)
Everybody!
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 3842