Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123860 times)

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6855 on: October 11, 2010, 01:42:46 am »

I just found that my female expedition leader's name is Imush Bulbracks.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: October 11, 2010, 02:05:10 am »

Things in Lungtown are looking up.  An Elephant herd that's ever-growing, the supplies of the last Dwarven caravan for free because idiot Goblin ambushers destroyed it and fled, enough iron to make Lady Eboshi jealous (hooray for obscure references!), all the large steel serrated blades I could ever want, half a million in wealth, and 64 very happy Dwarves who are fully behind their hard-working new baron/mayor.  Not bad for 2 years.

What about that human girl that has been raiding you with those wolves?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: October 11, 2010, 02:12:06 am »

Gobbo and human thieves are being shredded and crushed by green glass disc traps before they even get a chance to set off the alarms. Seriously, every so often I just mass reclaim-dump-melt over my cage traps, and watch my hauler dwarves and furnace operator dwarf go.

Oh, and I lost my other hunter to a bunch of crundles. Captainette Falcon still lives, though, and now has a silver-plated dwarf glove to own cave critters with.

Edit: I got bored, trained up a legendary gem cutter/setter, ordered a metric frickton of gems from the dwarf caravans, aaaannnndddd....

Thing's worth 141,150 dwarfbux. Note the size of the scrollbar.

It includes, but is not limited to:
Pictures of my sole military dwarf cowering in fear due to cave spiders
Images of diamonds, squares, and other random geometry
Images of deities of all sorts
Images of a few of my fort's 7-or-so artifacts
Images of dwarves doing masterwork crap, i.e. engravings, meals...
Images of human getting its ass kicked by a trap
Images of my bookkeeper embracing a pair of ettins
Images of three forest titans
Images of random nature crap (thankfully, not very much - can't do with having this thing be too elfy)
Enough gem rings to last Las Vegas for a week, maybe two

The best part is... the next dwarf caravan agreed to pay 169% for musical instruments.  :D So I get to do it all AGAIN! Except this time, I think I'll use a steel mechanism or something.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:47:46 am by TherosPherae »
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: October 11, 2010, 02:56:02 am »

1 Hematite, 101 - Early Summer at Outpost Dreamletter
I'm glad I brought three miners with me; we've accomplished much in a mere three months. The farms are already turning out plump helmets and sweet pods, thanks to the team of two growers working the fields. And rooms are carved out for apartments, the mayor's office, a barracks, armory, danger room, archery range, hospital, graveyard, and lots of storage.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I hope that one day this little outpost of Dreamletter will become the grand capitol of the Inks of Justice. And I plan on leading the Narrow Daggers, not Kirost. He got appointed as expedition leader just because he's got some good negotiation and appraisal skills -- But I'm a great leader and organizer. When elections roll around, I'll show him whose boss.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 04:15:52 am by AngleWyrm »

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: October 11, 2010, 03:19:13 am »

I found out that wrestlers without armor... do not do verywell against Fire men.

Who knew?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: October 11, 2010, 03:32:26 am »

embarked in frozen terrifying tundra with aquifer, going for the challenge of it. and failed (tantrum spiral)

and failed again (skeletal muskox)
and again (cave in while breaching)
and again (berserk moody dwarf)
and again (encased in ice when breaching using a 'safer' method)
and again (was getting better, so I built a bridge for migrants instead of letting them rot - skeletal elks got there first)
and again (the skeletal elk ambushed from inside the fortress, won but tantrum spiral ensued)

and again... this last one is getting better. two migrant waves got already killed, but I'll open up later when the caravan (and their guards!) arrives..

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: October 11, 2010, 04:39:10 am »

I found out that wrestlers without armor... do not do verywell against Fire men.

Who knew?

Mod Dwarves to not have fat then you can have !!Wrestlers!!.  They'll win, as long as you keep them away from the booze (not easy but doable)
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: October 11, 2010, 08:58:55 am »

I am currently working on a megaproject underground underwater green glass dome. I have three magma glass furnaces and lots of normal boring glass furnaces to collect sand, but I always see only one of my three legendary glassmakers spit out blocks, the other two are constantly Attending Party or On Break.
I have currently excavated half of the cave I will build my dome in. Progress is slow and I don't know where to put the 50000 excavated rocks.

Also, I have an artifact giant cave spider silk loincloth named "Fullcontrol the Satins of Entanglement".  :D

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: October 11, 2010, 08:59:33 am »

1st Granite, Year 551 - Outpost Eshtanzareth(Smithdeserts) has been settled in a rather remote region of the world. It's early spring, the nearby river is frozen over, and there's not a whole lot of trees in the region. No mountains either, but I think I should be able to work something out on the surface. A castle, or a surface fortress, perhaps. Should be fairly interesting, as I forgot to bring extra supplies. We're stuck with just 15 cave fish, 15 plump helmets, 40 units of ale, and about 25 units of wine. No possibility to irrigate for farmland at this time.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: October 11, 2010, 09:03:02 am »

Glitterhammers have been founded at last.

In a valley surrounded by chert mountains, ratmen, skeletal deer and swarms upon swarms of blood gnats.

They have an anvil, a pick, bag of seeds, a kitten, two barrels of booze and a rope.

And their civilization is almost extinct, not having even a ruler.

Will be interesting.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: October 11, 2010, 10:13:22 am »

I fought my first Forgotten Beast -- sort of. Never bothered with them before. But earlier I accidentally breached an unexplored part of the topmost caverns when digging out a pump stack for my indoor waterfall. I gave orders to seal the breach, but a caravan arrived around the same time so things got a little hectic, and suddenly I noticed a "Q" in the shaft while everyone was hauling stuff around. Panic ensued both among the dwarves and on my end. My militia was on the other side of the fort, playing with goblin prisoners in my arena, and I knew they'd never make it to where the Beast was in time to prevent it from getting loose in the fortress proper. But a war dog and a normal pet dog saw the thing and went for it. Poor buggers, I thought, hopefully their sacrifice will buy my militia some time to get there.

Moments later, Nethgon Idash Akman, the quadruped composed of steam was dead. Killed by a lowly war dog who did not even suffer a bruise. Talk about anticlimactic. Maybe the thing didn't even have a mouth or claws or anything, I forgot to check in all the commotion and now the combat log is gone. Ah well. At least the dog got a fancy name out of the victory. He's really fat, but I'm still toying with the idea of butchering every other male in the fort, so all future canine generations can boast having a FB-killer in their pedigree.

On another note, I'd been complaining about the lack of loving attention from goblins in my last dozen or so (aborted) forts. This one? Double whammy ambush in the first winter followed by another in spring. Fun times!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:36:14 am by Korva »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: October 11, 2010, 10:40:38 am »

How many left alive kraken?

14....down from 36 prior to the invasion. The Darnen got bored of the slaughter and decided to leave.  The only ones who managed to survive were those who got lost in the many chambers of the mines and managed to avoid the Darnen as a result. Everyone else was killed without mercy.

One notable Dwarf was one I managed to save by having him quickly build a wall between himself and the Darnen. He only managed to do so becuase the Darnen chasing him became distracted by his pet ocotpre and decided to kill it, allowing him enough time to build a wall.

So with only 14 Dwarves left, things are not looking good. This is the lowest the population has dropped in a long time. And there are guaranteed to be more deaths due to our lack of healthcare. So the survivors will have to rebuild the fort....somehow. I'm really not sure what to have them do at this point. I guess the only thing I can do is have them continue building the siege breaker.

Also I found out the reason the lever wasn't pulled was because I'm an idiot and for reasons I can not recall assigned specific dwarves to it.  :-\
Will the siege breaker actually solve all of your siege problems?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: October 11, 2010, 11:03:45 am »

How many left alive kraken?

14....down from 36 prior to the invasion. The Darnen got bored of the slaughter and decided to leave.  The only ones who managed to survive were those who got lost in the many chambers of the mines and managed to avoid the Darnen as a result. Everyone else was killed without mercy.

One notable Dwarf was one I managed to save by having him quickly build a wall between himself and the Darnen. He only managed to do so becuase the Darnen chasing him became distracted by his pet ocotpre and decided to kill it, allowing him enough time to build a wall.

So with only 14 Dwarves left, things are not looking good. This is the lowest the population has dropped in a long time. And there are guaranteed to be more deaths due to our lack of healthcare. So the survivors will have to rebuild the fort....somehow. I'm really not sure what to have them do at this point. I guess the only thing I can do is have them continue building the siege breaker.

Also I found out the reason the lever wasn't pulled was because I'm an idiot and for reasons I can not recall assigned specific dwarves to it.  :-\
Will the siege breaker actually solve all of your siege problems?

In theory, yes. It at least couldn't make things any worse. The idea is that a combination of repeating spikes, a narrow path, and a constant stream of bastilla bolts will kill anyone who tries to cross it. If not that, at least it may cause them to fall into the ocean and drown to death. Honestly it's my only hope of taking out sieges at this point. I can't just throw the fortress into lockdown constantly. We need more migrants.

It won't solve the Darnen problem. While many of them arrive on war beasts and are thus susceptible to ground attacks, a handful always come with no mount and will thus fly over the wall and cause chaos. Nothing is going to stop them but a proper military. The same goes for the Forgotten Beast problem.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: October 11, 2010, 11:19:21 am »

My current priority is to dig past this damned aquifer so i can try to reach Adamantine and establish a underground fortress for the Dorves to retreat to should things go FUBAR in the mountaintop base. After that i'll exploit the aquifer by setting up some wells.

Also, my Gemcutter has been posessed, but can fulfill it's needs. Shame about that lack of experience, though.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: October 11, 2010, 11:51:05 am »

dfunstuck?

Forgot about it until after the fact.  Dun goofed twice.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 3842