Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123841 times)

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6825 on: October 10, 2010, 12:11:02 am »

A cave-in has just occurred in Mirroredmatches at the site of what will someday be the temple of Armok; two miners suffered serious injuries, and a third was fully unharmed, and is now cleaning out the fallen rubble.

The caravan also came by recently, just as an order for mugs was finished. All the wood, leather, and cloth was bought from the caravan, as well as many steel items for melting.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6826 on: October 10, 2010, 03:00:38 am »

Oh Internet Kraken, your posts filled with shock, awe, and rage always cheer me up. Too bad i rarely read anything anyone else does, but I've most certainly learned enough to know never to attempt to mimic townbrush in any way, especially the fortress suspended over ocean of undead horrors surrounded by an evil grassland filled with ogres, buzzards, and other undead horrors, and within range of two or more of your civilization's most hated enemies part.

This version I chose a nice peaceful temperate-cold swamp with some mountains and a brook. If I was more careful about how I managed my dwarves, how many access points there were to the different caverns, and didn't try that stupid catch-the-frogmen-and-die-trying thing I'd be just fine. I've also been dehydrating all unwanted immigrants in a little room, but that's completely controllable.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Duriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6827 on: October 10, 2010, 06:33:28 am »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

And they brought their war leader with them.

I think I'll annihilate the entire siege with my 12 champions...

The siege's over, and the soldiers didn't even take a scratch. And the war leader was hacked to pieces.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:02:01 am by Duriel »
An invisible lurker.

I have a YouTube channel!

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: October 10, 2010, 09:46:49 am »

An alligator at the embark got a taste for dwarven blood. He killed them all.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6829 on: October 10, 2010, 09:47:14 am »

How many left alive kraken?

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6830 on: October 10, 2010, 12:13:48 pm »

A fey child went berserk after asking for rock bars and was promptly ganked by the two steel-clad squads I had stationed around the workshop in anticipation.

Lead by his own mom.

Who did not go berserk over her child getting slaughtered because she just had an exceedingly good drink.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6831 on: October 10, 2010, 12:15:19 pm »

Today in Gloveflier the mechanic team constructed 128 levers and linked each one to a unique floodgate.  On testing them it was discovered that only 1 out of the 128 had been linked to an incorrect target.  An acceptable error rate, but I'll have to try to do better in the future.  Next step is to build 128 pressure plates, each of which will need to be linked to 1 bridge and 9 gear assemblies, without error.

Meanwhile, I discovered that while dwarves won't deconstruct floors under other dwarves or themselves, they will deconstruct grates that other dwarves are standing on.  This is especially likely when a dwarf who is being followed by half a dozen children decides to go and help deconstruct some temporary scaffolding.  Two children are now in the hospital waiting for surgery.  Meanwhile, a woodcrafter somehow managed to drown in the brook.  I'm still puzzled as to how he fell in that hole, or why he couldn't climb out despite standing on a ramp with clear floor spaces adjacent.  Do brook tiles not count as walls for purposes of making ramps work?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

fyy0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6832 on: October 10, 2010, 02:19:30 pm »

My best stonecrafter, he was bed ridden due to an injury that disabled his ability to walk. 

He did conjur up the courage to crawl out of bed, and drag his legs behind him to get the required materials and make an awesome crown though.

He's now workshop ridden, as he refuses to do anything else now. :(

Thanks for the crown though.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6833 on: October 10, 2010, 03:49:02 pm »

Currently I'm testing something I heard a while back on these forums; whether or not caged wild animals will remain caged and alive if their cage is built and linked to a lever upon abandonment/defeat. The problem wasn't catching the blind cave ogres, it was all the other stupid shit that's been going on in the meantime. The only thing left to do now is wait for everyone to die. I managed to kill a few by sending them to wipe out the amphibian man tribes. In the end, 5 became friendly, mostly from killing random civilians passing by. Most of the military deaths were caused by the cave whales, one or two were impaled on wooden spears (a most undwarven death.)

I apparently missed the announcement of the marriage of my Head Stoneworker, Minecraft and Head Woodsman, Willow(currently trapped in a cage where she will die a horrible death due to being attacked by a cave whale.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: October 10, 2010, 04:09:38 pm »

Trying to grind out Magma Mountain, but the steps keep getting slower, then it stopped taking keyboard input, now it won't even redraw the screen... task manager says it's still cracking at it though.  I'll just give it a core and let it run until it crashes or returns to playability

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Warning! Large (1.1mb) photo because I suck at print screen.  This was the last thing I saw before I lost the screen.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 05:03:03 pm by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6835 on: October 10, 2010, 04:16:21 pm »

Today in Gloveflier the mechanic team constructed 128 levers and linked each one to a unique floodgate.  On testing them it was discovered that only 1 out of the 128 had been linked to an incorrect target.  An acceptable error rate, but I'll have to try to do better in the future.  Next step is to build 128 pressure plates, each of which will need to be linked to 1 bridge and 9 gear assemblies, without error.

Would building the bridges and assemblies one plate at a time and then forbidding them after linkage work?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6836 on: October 10, 2010, 04:26:51 pm »

It's confirmed, linking a wild animals' cage to a trigger will NOT prevent them from escaping upon abandonment.

In other news, the merchants were stupid enough to walk into my trade depot while it was almost half submerged, and then were stupid enough to remain there until they drowned.
I make Spellcrafts!

AntiSheep

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6837 on: October 10, 2010, 05:04:30 pm »

My first fort actually attempting at a military in 31.XX I was :o that my military actually took initiative to upgrade their bronze armor to steel once I managed to make some without me having to even lift a finger, and as far as I can tell went to grab the mastercrafted variety over what they had when I made some of that. Except for this one dwarf that was still wearing a mishmash of steel stuff even when several suits of mastercrafted were available no matter what I did. I guess he took one too many maces to the head sparring.

Goblins were sadly gone in my world and I failed to notice this until about year 4 of the fortress so I really didn't want to redo everything. Also the elf civ was called The Hot Lobster... they will die for that abomination. I've been seizing all their goods trying to piss them off enough to attack me but no luck. In my boredom I decided to see if you could force my dwarves to attack them first. And oh Armok was it epic. A whirlwind of axes and steel, blood and elf bits everywhere. The same fate befell the human caravan. Now I'm patiently waiting for sieges while training my military to multiple legendary levels. Danger room training without a shield equipped seems to boost weapon skill very fast.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6838 on: October 10, 2010, 05:06:46 pm »

Trying to give elves wood will make them mad.

AntiSheep

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6839 on: October 10, 2010, 05:12:32 pm »

I would have thought stealing about 300k dorfbucks worth of cloth would do the trick but they seem to happily come back bringing more.
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 3842