Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125062 times)

MechaGodzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6480 on: September 28, 2010, 05:22:03 pm »

A giant eagle just randomly assaulted one of my crafters, knocking him unconscious at my city gate and RIPPING OFF HIS NOSE!

My hammerdwarf was mere moments too late to save him.... and he bled out :<

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: September 28, 2010, 06:05:44 pm »

The FB extract didn't destroy my fort, but Ii must have been triggered by being washed off or something.

Because I think it was on some dwarves of mine... who got caught out in the rain.

Boom instant unconsciousness, nausea, and fever.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: September 28, 2010, 06:45:06 pm »

Hallway full of war elephants and robbing the elves.

That is all.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: September 28, 2010, 07:15:25 pm »

I finish flooding all my caverns to kill the monsters... Then I found out what Olms are and they swim -_-"
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: September 28, 2010, 07:31:06 pm »

Four miners have died today in the process of caving in a section of a 4 z-level tunnel.  The total number who have died working on this tunnel is probably more like 20-something.
Also, I had a guy go berserk from a failed mood.  Luckily, animals have a sense for this sort of thing.  I know this because he was immediately attacked by a war grizzly bear, a cougar, and a buzzard, and they ripped him to pieces.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: September 28, 2010, 09:29:01 pm »

Short update:

So my five surviving dwarfs are all doing well, everyone seems fine (up to 79 pop now, thanks to heavy migration within the first year of rebuilding), but I did have another disease scare.  Two animals got the same foot rot as the batch who died during the apocalypse, they were giving off miasma and basically I was convinced I was about to have another severe population collapse.  Both animals died within the year, nobody raged, and a year later, there's still no dwarfs with any incurable infections.  So.. "whew."

The fortress has another FB in cavern layer 2, but I'm keeping all the cave systems locked down for now.  I have no immediate reason to go poking around down there since my exploratory expeditions didn't yield any visible cotton candy spires or anything.

But this fort has a much more serious issue at this point.  I created my first ever waterworks.  It's really great, the design is a very simple, single stack of pumps that draws water up from a brook to the desired terminal Z, pushes it underground and then back up to a fountain & pond in my meeting hall/well room/statue garden, which itself drains into the brook at the top NW corner of the map using side-by-side pipes for intake/outlet.  It's actually really simple and cool looking, and provides a constant source of mist for my dwarves to revel in.  Many of them are well over 1000 happiness now.

The problem now should be obvious.  FPS death.  I'm running at ~38 FPS right now.  It takes many REAL minutes to get anything done in my fort.  Even simple stuff like cage trap assembly, construction demolition, etc...  It's ridiculous.  I can't go back and "undiscover" the caverns, I've used or otherwise eliminated pretty much every piece of non-economic stone on the map, and shutting off the waterworks doesn't stop the flow calculations rapidly enough to be useful, so anything I can do isn't going to bring me any great FPS benefits.  I'll play it for another couple years, make a backup, and abandon it so I can check it out in adventure and legends modes.  I can't believe how easy it was for me to pull this fortress back from the brink of utter annihilation (not to mention how easy it was to almost utterly annihilate it), and it makes me sad that now that it's barely started its second life, I'll have to abandon it.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: September 28, 2010, 10:22:38 pm »

I just got my fort to stop choking to death on 5 FPS, and consider getting 25 to be about average for this monstrosity. 38? Count your lucky stars.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: September 28, 2010, 10:30:33 pm »

Also, not a short update.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: September 28, 2010, 10:41:35 pm »

7 FPS is pretty excellent for my monstrosity of a fort. My tolerance for lag is far higher than it should be.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: September 28, 2010, 10:44:48 pm »

ELEPHANTSPLOSION OHNOES.

Time to butcher the babies and train a bonecarver up to Legendary.

Oh, and I had a hauler go secretive and demand silk for his wooden craft. He went insane, and I assigned 13 war elephants to the person with the nearest workshop. Somehow, he managed to kill a fish dissector before the elephants got him, though. Oh well, easily replaced job is easily replaced.

Otherwise, all is well in Minerasped. Things are beginning to get boring, what with the goblin civ being extinct and the elves bringing me continual shipments of free stuff. (Sometimes, I actually let them leave with their lives.) Might start making an execution pit of DOOOOOOM, complete with lava waterfall.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: September 28, 2010, 10:45:53 pm »

I would recommend it go straight into the magma sea, allowing it to be used as a garbage pit too.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: September 28, 2010, 11:04:00 pm »

The Dwarven caravan arrived, and despite what is the norm at this point they actually didn't get killed by goblins/zombies. I've actually had a few months of peace since the humans retreated. So my haulers can actually get to work on cleaning up the mountain of corpses that are lying outside.

However, progress on the siege breaker is once again nonexistent. Some zombie whales (fuck whales) came, and have decided to sit right below the construction site. They refuse to move, and are scaring away anyone that goes near them. So they are impossible to kill yet are still capable of ruining my work. At this rate, the siege breaker should be done in about 5 fucking years. On top of this, another forgotten beast came. Because apparently the two that just attacked weren't enough. It smashed a wood carpenter up against the wall and badly wounded one of the soldiers before it was cut down. However, every attack that causes even minor damage has large consequences. My military only consists of two dwarves, and only 1 is currently fit to serve. Since Migrants are once again viewing Townbrush as a death trap, the death of any dwarf is a problem. Otherwise I would have executed the moron who just made an adamantine cape, encircled with hanging bands of adamantine, and meancing with spikes of adamantine.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: September 28, 2010, 11:10:15 pm »

Have one of your soldiers wear it.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: September 28, 2010, 11:34:07 pm »

Have one of your soldiers wear it.
I will then lose that cape when my soldier inevitably falls into the ocean. Such is the fate of all members of the group of fools known as the Townbrush militia.

EDIT: WOW. Another fucking forgotten beast.

EDIT 2: Actually, it's apparently trapped by 2 tunnel tubes. I find it amusing that everything from ground hogs to giant toads covered in minty green hair can be blocked by trees.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 11:42:06 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: September 29, 2010, 07:26:39 am »

Doom befell my fortress..  :-\

A titan arrived, destroyed/slipped past my apparently not-so-deadly deathtrap hall and slaughtered most of my military before falling at last. Less than a month later a goblin siege (for which the deathtraps were actually MEANT) follows to mop up any remaining resistance. And this happens just as I am finally able to start filling up the reservoirs for my magma cannon (to combat said titans). Fairly typical fortress end, but the timing couldn't have been worse.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 3842