Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124953 times)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6495 on: September 29, 2010, 08:11:30 am »

Two migrants just got murdered by skeletal deer. We will have our revenge....once we have a functioning military. But for now, the wall.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6496 on: September 29, 2010, 10:43:03 am »

So what happened last year? I ended a two-year siege, in spite of pissing off the elven traders the season immediately before, no one went hungry. A forgotten beast crept into my worst-defended zone but was eventually taken out by vigilant patrolling. A minotaur appeared and got whacked by the dwarven merchant before coming into threat range. I mountain titan flew straight down into my magmaworks, which was evacuated and deployed to just in time to take him down without a loss. Overall, the birth rate was slightly higher than the death rate, and less than half the coffins have been occupied.

At the top of this year, while I was overhauling the defenses to my Depot approach, a goblin siege arrived, found the hole in my security and went straight toward it. I decided to let them, since it drew them into a tight bottleneck that blocked their missile fire. Most of them died coming into the hole, the fighting spread out onto the mountainsides where the rest of them were mopped up. When the siege broke but the fighting continued, I realized a goblin ambush was lurking there as well. They must have been just as surprised, because they didn't live long. Again, cleaned up without a loss.

These guys really aren't elite skill. Some are close, but many are middling, and a few are mediocre. But they are well-equipped, in full steel mail and leather, all with steel edged or silver blunt weapons.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: September 29, 2010, 12:27:12 pm »

I'm at 61 dwarves, with a 12-warrior military.  6 of the soldiers train around the clock in my first danger room, 3 are marksdwarves, while the last 3 tend to the small war animal force of 2 war dogs, a war lion, and a war tiger. 

The military had its first big test last night when an ettin arrived.  I was lazy about setting up a proper burrow beforehand, so panic ensued as the ettin approached the gates.  I set all squads on kill.  As luck would have it, at first only a lowly recruit with very little danger room time dared attack the beast, who was closing in on civilians. She tried her best, but the ettin promptly smashed her arms and legs.  I thought she was toast, but before the ettin could finish the job, the war animal brigade came charging out of the gates, along with the marksdwarves.  Apparently my elite danger room force was too cool to bother following any orders and just lounged around :(.  Meanwhile, Stoutaxe the woodcutter, one of my original 7, led the attack and forced the ettin away from the recruit.

The ettin killed one of the dogs, as well as the tiger before an elite hammerdwarf finally decided to follow orders.  She dropped the giant with a strike to the guts.  I didn't even know a hammer could give a killing blow through anything but a head strike, but checking the logs, the hammerdwarf got the kill and her last strike was a gut-bruiser.  I was sad to see two war animals die, but the brave recruit survived and was patched up pronto by the hospital staff.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 12:30:46 pm by VerdantSF »

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: September 29, 2010, 02:26:12 pm »

Fortress: Ecemustuth (Tubefence)
Pop: 45
Embark Area: Frozen Taiga Island.

Just recently managed to stave off starvation by getting farms up and running smoothly. Recent dwarven caravan helped provide dimple cups to increase the farm output. Water is now the only standing problem.

Attempted to get actual potable water for my hospital via well. Forgot about the pressure of water sourced from below an aquifier. Flooded the hospital, kennels, and both offices before I got it walled off. 6 dwarves are trapped inside, one of which was resting in the hospital, injured in a troglodyte attack. Planning to tap it from the side and source it down to the HUGE (61 z-levels) caverns below. Should take a long time to come back up, and help stop those troglodytes from wandering up the stairs.

Military is ramshackle. First attack on the fortress caught me without on, so I drafted the four miners into a quick militia to fight the sasquatch that had its eyes on my fortress after wrecking my trade depot. Amazingly, they dispatched it rather quick and clean (except for the sasquatch ending up in three pieces). They still remain in their squad, and I intend to upgrade their weapons and armor as my steel industry gets rolling.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

sobriquet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: September 29, 2010, 03:37:22 pm »

Okay, first post (of note) and about the fifth fort I've started. 

It's new, on a chert-capped mountainside surrounded by haunted plains.  I finally got to the point where I wanted to be attacked, you know?  And be ready.  That sort of feeling.  So on embark I went about 30% military-- a few extra copper hammers, a single axe, a pick, a crossbow from my ambusher.  About half are somewhat trained soldiers.  One is a well-trained (meaning proficient axe/skilled dodge) militiaman.
We brought three war dogs, one male and two female, and roped them to stakes at the entrance.  As it happened, this small thing saved us. 
I see several ponds surrounding my fort (in the lower left corner of the map) and get the bright idea of making a 1-tile wide moat connecting them and protecting me.  Fortunately there's a huge sea to the northeast and I'll be able to link canals there and widen the moat largely enough to be effective.  Later.  For now...where was I?
Oh, yes.
well-- days after everyone gets to chopping and hauling and deconstructing and such two ogres are sighted.  Both are female, hideous, jabbering.  One is very muscular, the other, thin as a rail.  I give the hide command and everyone drops what they're doing and squads up in the open-to-air, partially excavated hall that will be the forum of my fortress. 
Well, maybe will be.

(continued in another post)

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: September 29, 2010, 03:59:04 pm »

Found the last cavern and they are stacked on top of each other. don't think theres more than one or two z-levels between any of them, though I don't think cavern 3 is linked like the first and second one.

Found the magma see and started digging for a pump stack. forgot about my aquafier, which is really getting on my nerves by now since it's everywhere, and punctured it on my way up. Again I regret naming my group Twinkle the Suicidal Pick (note to self, never use names suggesting the death of your dwarfs). The inital flood pushes a miner and two others into the magma sea through the hole I was using for my magma glass smelter. after closing the aquafier another 3 miners are flushed into the sea. lost a total of eight or nine dwafs, out of 40, to that single hole in the floor. Some of the dwarfs have a bunch of friends, but I suspect most of them died in the '56 tantrum.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: September 29, 2010, 04:10:35 pm »

woops. I broke the cardinal rule. I dug up.

yay for hidden pockets of water! Fun!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: September 29, 2010, 04:17:17 pm »

An axe lord just went berserk (He was a lot less stable than I imagined. I mean, I know losing your familiy is difficult, but he could have at least tantrumed a little so I knew to take precautions.) and then dismembered the entire military after I locked him into the barracks.

There were limbs everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: September 29, 2010, 04:51:32 pm »

An enormous eyeless scarab -- beware it's poisonous blood! Blood which is now seeping into my water supply. This critter hasn't even come out of the water. The one soldier with the foresight to bring ammo shot its limbs and thorax pretty much to hell, but he ran out of bolts before he could make the kill. It still didn't move, and eventually the troops decided to fuck off for a drink and take a nap. Nice dedication, troops.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: September 29, 2010, 05:40:34 pm »

One of my draconians has a preference for trolls.
Lucky him. I'm bringing trolls along to help breed a fighting force.
EDIT:I've decided to name the place "DeathChamber", have him build a throne out of stolen stone from the caravan, and encrust it with emeralds.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:21:46 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: September 29, 2010, 05:51:15 pm »

Granitemaws has just entered its second winter. The dwarf caravan arrived just in time to supply booze to dozens of thirsty dorfs. (Brook is frozen, three immigrant waves already and both the elf and human caravans have passed us by thusfar.) They only brought five barrels of food, so I bought up all of the plump helmets.

Immigrant glassmaker went fey for my first legendary, resulting in a green glass armor stand. A legendary macedwarf came in the last migrant wave, so I got that going for me.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Salamandangerous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: September 29, 2010, 06:30:21 pm »

third year fort, human caravan arrives along with a goblin ambush.
the goblins waste time killing wild warthogs as the humans make into the relative safety of my walls
one of my animal traps at the top of the map goes off, another ambush, now have 8 goblin bowmen and 7 goblin crossbowmen coming towards my entrance. I set the atom smasher to repeat, well turns out I set the bridge to retract, rather than raise/lower, so the atom smasher is more of a retracting carpet, needless to say the goblins strode right in, several getting caught in cages, others getting pummeled by rocks. the goblins wasted most of their ammo on ten odd warthogs and a human bowman, so I sent my 10 man militia to help the human hammerer and swordsman, not a single dwarf sustained a major injury (though the human swordsman vomited well over 100 times leaving a giant trail of green across my rock stockpile).
all told seven goblins captured, 3 in fort traps 4 in traps intended for animals as they fled from my axes
9 goblins lay slain in the courtyard.
This day shall be well remembered, and each goblin life taken shall be recorded in the book of grudges.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #6507 on: September 29, 2010, 07:12:15 pm »

My farm is the most blood stained area on the map. The only blood anywhere else is by the far edge of the map, where my only dedicated brewer was permanently crippled by a sceptile attack. Otherwise, I'm just continuing to leech off of the human town i embarked on. I got an artifact warthog bone mask from one who was fey. Still epic, even with the no decoration bug. I also got a migration wave, bumping my fort pop from 13 to 32. I started 2 military squads, one having 7 dwarves and the other had 2. The 3x3 danger room is almost done. And it is still mid spring of the second year.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6508 on: September 29, 2010, 08:45:01 pm »

A year back, while deconstructing some outdoor construction, there was a slight accident.  A dwarven child was massively injured, with multiple broken limbs.  The severely inexperienced surgeon has been trying ever since to fix his injuries, without luck.

Said child has just entered a fey mood.  Slowly and painfully, she's dragged himself to a craftsdwarf's workshop, then around the fortress, gathering materials.  As the child has a broken spine, leg, shoulder, arm, and hand, this may take a while.

aaand, she's finally made an artifact ring, engraved with an image of an undergound animalperson being torn apart by a forgotten beast.  Now back to the hospital where the surgeon can fail to cure her injuries.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: September 29, 2010, 09:24:07 pm »

I accidentally knocked a hole in my mayors wall, next to his bed.  So I decide to patch it up by ordering a platinum wall to be built.  After 3 seasons of having a gaping hole in the wall, it was finally constructed!  By a dwarf standing on the mayors bed.  While the mayor was sleeping in said bed.

He didn't wake, though -- I guess he was tired.
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 3842