Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097381 times)

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4695 on: August 04, 2010, 07:37:33 pm »

Since the rivers all go fishless after two years or so, I've learned to make an indoors refuse pile, get some shells on it, and forbid them. Of course shell moods have been neutered a bit, praise Armok.

In other news: an animal has become a stray war grizzly bear.

Heck yeah.

ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: August 04, 2010, 07:38:54 pm »

Are you sure? I have rivers teeming with fish into almost year 20.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4697 on: August 04, 2010, 07:40:38 pm »

Are you sure? I have rivers teeming with fish into almost year 20.

I think you're the exception rather than the rule-- I've yet to have a fort in DF2010 where the fish didn't run dry and I've heard many others say the same. There comes a point where spontaneously "There is nothing to catch in the everything" and they never, ever restock.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: August 04, 2010, 07:46:10 pm »

I have so many fish that I could subsist of them if I didn't care about breaking my "never go above the water's surface rule." and made everyone a fisherman for the one season it's thawed out.

I get a big school in both rivers, one below, and one above the waterfall of mine, and in all of the above lakes.

I'd not realized this was a problem, I'd always had tons of turtles.

*Mayor facepalms*

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: August 04, 2010, 08:32:14 pm »

I'm just gonna ignore that for now, I've got three people trying to fish.

In other news, I found a small cluster of goblinite. I got 6/7 tiles of goblinite, and a nearby cook got 2 red legs from a cave-in during the harvesting.

Edit: He may yet make it, a guy pulled up a mussel! Also, 2 of the harvested goblinite tiles were caged goblins, I just didn't say that because I can't think of a good metaphor.

Nope. The guy preparing raw fish did everything but the mussel, and then the guy went berserk and was promptly decapitated.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:46:27 pm by Ethereal.Frog »
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4700 on: August 04, 2010, 09:00:20 pm »

I also seem to have the problem where dogs just stop having puppies. Tons of healthy young dogs, add in imported ones to the mix, nada.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: August 04, 2010, 09:17:07 pm »

I had to cage my wolves I've caught because they were having too many puppies >_>
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 09:22:41 pm by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: August 04, 2010, 09:21:35 pm »

I also seem to have the problem where dogs just stop having puppies. Tons of healthy young dogs, add in imported ones to the mix, nada.

Actually, that's normal. the tame animal limit in 40d was 50 per species, and I don't think that has changed (or at least not been removed) in 2010. All animals that have a population of more than 50 will stop having new pregnancies, but any females already pregnant will give birth normally.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: August 04, 2010, 09:28:44 pm »

Dispatched a dragon, unloaded more junk on the caravan.  Still waiting to see if I'll get another king since the last one died of old age upon arriving at the fort.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: August 04, 2010, 10:13:51 pm »

(genesis mod) Ezrakim elves have come to trade! Their guards are wearing armor of the most beautiful sun gold... *dump their armor* Eh. Why not their valuable plant fiber clothing too? *dump merchant's clothes* There. Now to sell it back to them...

Long story short, I bought all I needed in exchange for their (sun gold bow) back. I kept their (sun gold crescent arrows (38)).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: August 04, 2010, 10:40:55 pm »

Playing 2010 with some painkillers and a concussion.

got 1300 plump helmet, 400 booze, and a single cage holding the whole of the animal population of my fort, save for the roaming packs of violent camels.

On a related note, my camel eradicator is coming along nicely.
DAS meets funnel towards my fort's river-bound desert entrance.

EDIT: Also: 72 dwarfs and no mayor. WTF.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:15:37 pm by rat_pack40 »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: August 04, 2010, 10:56:28 pm »

You guys think you have it bad with engravings of random people? My current fortress has engravings of either this one elf who tamed the unicorns in the area 20 years ago or a different one who did it 150 years ago in like 1 out of 10 engravings. My fortress has pictures of elves and unicorns on the walls everywhere. My dwarves have been cut off from the surface for 5 years and live 150 z levels down.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: August 04, 2010, 11:20:13 pm »

You guys think you have it bad with engravings of random people? My current fortress has engravings of either this one elf who tamed the unicorns in the area 20 years ago or a different one who did it 150 years ago in like 1 out of 10 engravings. My fortress has pictures of elves and unicorns on the walls everywhere. My dwarves have been cut off from the surface for 5 years and live 150 z levels down.

Isolation does strange things to dwarves...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Andur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: August 04, 2010, 11:50:44 pm »

The humans have insulted me! This is what they send as their representative: "The human Cheese Maker RUlak Gigolado from Kejeomon has arrived."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: August 04, 2010, 11:59:05 pm »

So? The dwarves sent me a soap maker. They take people with big dreams and shitty jobs and make them diplomats.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 3842