Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099208 times)

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4470 on: July 26, 2010, 08:16:40 am »

After screwing around with worldgen settings until I got caves I liked (that is to say, increasing the size of caverns, setting density to 0 and openness to 100), I founded Granitegrowl. Like Junglecastle, it was in a tropical moist broadleaf forest populated by carp, hippos, elephants, various primates, and lots of trees. Things were going nicely, I got a wooden wall set up on the surface and dug down to the first cavern, where I began carving my fort into the giant columns of stone and setting up my farms and stockpiles on the open mud surfaces after clearing them of trees.

This will be the last time I start building in caves without walling off the outside of the caverns. The cave crocodile that had been lurking the lake at some point crawled out, into my fort, and started chewing dwarves to pieces. 3 of them died this way before someone got lucky and smashed the thing's brain with a pick. At this point, madness struck and my foodsmith/woodcutter began tantruming. He was carrying a battle axe and beheaded one of my miners and carved a dog into pieces, then calmed down for a while. Next another dwarf went mad and began running around the jungle babbling wildly. This was the scene that greeted two migrants, who promptly set to work hauling body parts to the refuse pile.

One by one, the remaining dwarves of the founding 7 succumbed to madness or melancholy. One was put out of his misery by a Reacher that came up from the second level of the caverns to the surface. Finally I sent the two new arrivals, who were emotionally unaffected by the deaths and therefore still sane, down to investigate the circus, which I'd never seen before. About 20 clowns made of salt, snow and cinders proceeded to slow my FPS to single digits and put an end to the awful failure of an expedition.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: July 26, 2010, 08:36:18 am »

I have three forts in 40d to which I have returned after messing with newest 0.31 version:

Emenshorast, 'Strengthwire'

Just ended cleaning up around 2k articles of goblin clothing and some various stones as well (around 2k as well) from deeper levels. Atomsmashed that all (FPS went from 16-20 to 20-25. Yay!), and at last I started the project I wanted to do last time: building rock salt block roads to the west and east from the fortress gate.
And Champion Marksdwarf Cilob just gave brith to her thirteenth kid. That is her fifth daughter, and she have eight sons already there. She is one of the oldest citizens of the town as well as powerful warrior who defended the place from shruk and goblin ambushes and sieges for almost one year before I got working military. I just can imagine the rest of the Emenshorast calling her "Momma McBadass" or something. Also, the treacherous Domas Cerolducim, wife of the late Athel (previous mayor, whom she sentenced to beating (which gone lethal)) started with her project; R-PMS-WTF, or Randomly Placed Menacing Spike Weapon Traps Fields in the surroundings of the town. Why?

For lulz, of course.

Astakath, 'Sabrewinters'

Despite cruel, water-less tundra and dangerous foes: azure golems, goblin ambushers and occasional polar bear, no one needed the water. The booze is running the fort. Mastabas all around, but because the goblins that are to be pitted into Ziggurat of Blood and Screams are instead freed from cages (dunno why. Previously it worked, now it's not *it's a mystery*), I has no fun there. Pity.

Other than that, and seasonal goblin ambushes, it's quite peaceful place to live.

Shemoslan, 'Plankwound'

Sturdy dwarves of the coastal village of Shemoslan are currently engaging in trade with Centaurs - barrels of prepared fish, some wooden and bone trinkets are exchanged for aboveground booze, metals and cheese. There was just one shruk siege so far and no other hostilities, but will a pack of war dogs, few traps and wooden palisade defend the thriving village from whatever foe might appear on the map? Besides leather armor and some old, siege-left weapons and shields, they don't have much, so next battle will be surely bloody. And as they don't dig for ores and stones, the very first strange mood that will surely happen soon might be a little problematic...

Oh, look, +3 to puppies amount. Yay war dogs~!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #4472 on: July 26, 2010, 12:04:24 pm »

Today, my most decorated champion warrior, Randy Savage, has died in the line of duty.

He had 197 notable kills to his name.

After battling a ferocious bunch of cave crocodiles, Randy felt thirsty.  Since the door behind him was locked, he went to the nearby underground water to sate himself.

However, upon leaning to take a sip, he witnessed a cave crocodile beneath the surface, causing him to instinctively lurch at it in an attempt to kill one more of these wretched monsters, standing in the plans of the fort's new glorious mechanism power system.

Sadly, Randy didn't know how to swim.

He killed five more crocodiles underwater before succumbing to lack of air.

His squad shall be taken over by his co-commander and partner in battle: the female champion Bear Force One.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: July 26, 2010, 06:12:44 pm »

Reclaiming my most successful fortress, Clashworks.  I was so worried about the threat of goblins and the hassle of collecting all of my important items, I completely forgot about the Bronze Colossus and Hydra that I had been keeping in cages.  Luckilly, they're distracted by the now Friendly goblins.  Let's hope this lasts long enough to get my cage traps set up again.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: July 26, 2010, 07:01:32 pm »

Damn you, blunt weapons!

Realistic though.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: July 26, 2010, 07:09:14 pm »

Currently starting "AbbeyAbbeys the Abbey of Abbeys". Got farming up and running, and after some more cooling in the case, a mild push of the overclock, and some tweaking of windows 7, water no longer lags the system when freezing or thawing.

Hooray for 4.1GHZ!

EDIT: just had my well flood up through half of the production layer of my fort. Managed to seal it off long enough for it to stop flooding, the capped off the hole in the floor. nothing lost but some of my winter reserve of water.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:05:25 pm by rat_pack40 »

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: July 26, 2010, 08:25:35 pm »

A dwarven caravan arrived, with goblin ambushers lurking around outside.  I had locked the doors to prevent the burrow stockpile-cancelling spam, but this was barring the caravan... so I set the burrow alert and unlocked the doors.

As I watched the caravan trundle across my sexy volcano bridge entrance, three warrior dorfs ran at top speed in the opposite direction.  I watched dumb-founded as three out of the twenty militia dwarves I have training raced across the bridge, burst out onto the surface and made an instant bee line across the map to the exact location of a stealthed goblin ambush party.  They died very, very quickly.  I can only imagine that it was some sort of misguided attempt a finding some action.

Dorfle Boozehammer: Hey guys, I know where we can find a goblin ambush party! 
Urist McUristsonson: Sweet~! Let's sneak out while the others aren't watching and GET US SOME KILLS!
Belch Thundergut: I'm in!

~~~

Urist McUristsonson: WHAT IS THIS I DONT EVEN
Urist McUristsonson has been struck down.
Belch Thundergut has been struck down.
Dorfle Boozehammer has been struck down.

edit: another four just hurtled out to do the EXACT SAME THING.  7/20 militia dead before they're even deployed. :|
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:28:12 pm by duckInferno »
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: July 26, 2010, 08:33:31 pm »

Something bugged my worldgen and gave me insane screwed-up layer stones. My current site has black sand, raw adamantine, cinnabar, emerald, slade, and I can't see/remember below that. Now I just need to find out what I duplicated. No you may not have the save.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: July 26, 2010, 09:26:00 pm »

Something bugged my worldgen and gave me insane screwed-up layer stones. My current site has black sand, raw adamantine, cinnabar, emerald, slade, and I can't see/remember below that. Now I just need to find out what I duplicated. No you may not have the save.

Pretty please with goblin blood on top ?

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: July 26, 2010, 09:33:40 pm »

It's because he's lieing!
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: July 26, 2010, 09:47:47 pm »

I found out what caused it. That was the world I genned last month that I made all the pretty/valuable stones layers (and then promptly forgot about). ::)

I have no idea why I included slade though...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: July 27, 2010, 12:06:31 am »

Diary of Goden Taltotdakost:

1st Limestone, 1067

Mother was working on the power linkages today. We have a wave basin set up, with waterwheels providing power to a pump stack below. the overseer says it'll be a great surprise when it's done, and that we'll all love it. I hope so, but life seems so great here. I asked where the water in the basins came from and was told to be quiet, and I'm not sure why they didn't just connect the two power stations with an axle, instead of going so far down and bringing it back up. it seems silly to waste so much power.

I see the engravings on the wall, dwarves killing other dwarves, bears eating elves. Goblins... The adults sure do like their fairy tales. none of those things actually exist, They all tell us that they are real, but we would have seen them if they were real. when I was really little I remember we dug into a big cave. The Overseer demanded we build biiiiiig walls all the way to the ceiling, and they did. the walls are still there, but sometimes we dig under them. we're still not allowed outside the tunnels into the big cave though...

sometimes Kivish says he sees things, far in the distance when he's gathering the cave spider silk that forms in the tunnels down there. He can never see quite what they are, but every so often we hear a scary noise. it makes me nervous, but nothing ever goes wrong here. Maybe it's got something to do with the strange rock I saw once. It was cold and melted in your hands, what I remember most is that it glowed, like a gem in front of a fire, just a soft, pale blue glowy. I don't tell mother and father, but I remember something else. it was another cave, but instead of darkness, like the other one, it is filled with light. the air MOVED, fast and cold through my beard. the light made me sick. Dodok once said something about it, so I know it's not just me. but he disappeared after his parents told him to be quiet and stop telling lies, his parents said he got inspired. that's how a lot of people go. we are not very fancy, like some of the places I saw in engravings, so we do not have "shells" but people want them anyways. then they come back... changed, or they don't come back at all. one day the door unlocks and their body is just lying there, wasted away and dry as sand. but I know I saw it too, he wasn't lying.

The old play room was made entirely out of glass! we don't have any more mother says, but it's fun to just sit and watch the fish swim around us. sometimes people go into the glowy blue rock outside. but they've never gone into that cave again.

But everything is fine in HonoredSalve. sometimes bad things just happen. but the overseer will protect us. always.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: July 27, 2010, 12:21:38 am »

Still running "Abbey-Abbeys the Abbey of Abbeys"

to further the recursion fest inherent in most DF's, i just had a near legendary brewer go fey!
Joy of joys, he may see a great stat boost!
crap.
He claimed a craftsdwarf workshop.
He made "The Ink of Immortals" the birchen bracelet.
on it is a picture of "The ink of Immortals" in camel leather.
worth all of 4k DBux.
i now have a legendary wood crafter. who is also a brewer.
i now have a useless bracelet, not even valuable enough to attract a decent kobold, to take up space.
Great.
Thanks.
It took a log, on a landscape where getting the wood is stupid dangerous, being surrounded by alligators and crocodiles.
even though i've had more injuries from the groundhogs.
stupid groundhogs. killed off my high master soapmaker. before he made it into the fort for the first time.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: July 27, 2010, 12:45:12 am »

Strange. I just had a fey dwarf create a Bone coffin.

With no decorations at all. I've NEVER seen this happen, even if they only used one material.

My In-Dining room surround sound waterfall system works great. I can deactivate safeties in case I need to flood it. it floods near instantaneously, all while running at normal parameters barely gets the room wet.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 01:16:38 am by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: July 27, 2010, 01:56:31 am »

Sheildtouches is going well... a nice secure outer compind provides fruit for brewing, and we eat giant eagle roast thanks to my militia commander who has a habt of twisting her steel shortswort in the upper body of the great beasts - 7 so far this year, thankfully my woodcutter keeps away from them. my legendary stonecrafter churns out crap trade goods that have made us wealthy, and an abundance of fuel and ore have allowed me to train a very effective 7 member combined arms militia in full steel. no ambushes, seiges or thieves yet even though all civs still exist, but it is only year 2 and i still only have 40 inhabitants. current plan is to investigae the first cavern and set up a compund for farming some more underground crops without waiting for the ice to melt and irrigate my farms...
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 3842