Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098844 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4500 on: July 27, 2010, 03:01:51 pm »

Even back in 40d I had craft artifacts routinely show up without decorations, usually from skillless mooders.

Can't say I've ever seen that myself. Skill level isn't supposed to factor into crafting artifacts at all; skills only affect choosing what kind of workshop to claim and the primary material to use. Either your memory or mine is faulty.

Same here. One material used - artifact + one decoration, be it spikes or image of itself or anything.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: July 27, 2010, 05:49:12 pm »

Today I began construction of my epic great hall. It is going to be 132 x 192 tiles big, with 6x6 columns every 12 tiles. It will be 8 z levels tall. Near the entrance, 6 of the columns will act as pillboxes, being hollow and with fortifications around the edge. A Staircase will run through the center of each of these and up to my barracks, which are situated directly above the hall, to ensure rapid response against sieges and ambushes.

I also begun my adamantine industry, having mined out a good 20 tiles worth, I'm turning them into wafers to feed the adamantine generator. Soon my marksdwarves will ensure the multiplication of the adamantine, which in turn will ensure the equipment for my entire fortress. >: D

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: July 27, 2010, 06:53:29 pm »

I'm quite new.
Learned that soap is important the hard way.

Miner fell down in a shaft, hurt his legs and arm.
Died from infections minutes later.

ChrisTheTsunami

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: July 27, 2010, 07:14:23 pm »

Had a Troll appear in the caverns as migrants came. Wouldn't have to worry to much except is smacked the hatch blocking the caverns away and was heading towards the main fort. Send a squad down that taught me that Trolls have blue blood; assigning jobs to the migrants between peaks at the beat-down. Got quiet a bunch that helped with filling out my military.
Had a giant toad sneak out of the exposed cavern pass, which I sent a vet along with a rookie spear dwarf I had set up so far. The spear dwarf got down there, but without a spear. He got some equipment, but forgot a few things before he ran down and started punching the giant toad. The toad wasn't too happy about this, so It knocked him down before grabbing his leg in his mouth, then used another bite to grab his entire lower body, and bit him it half! All this happening before the squad leader could make it....well, that was ridiculously tragic(yay!). Got my revenge when it was knocked out by the lead mace dwarf, and everyone that came to pick up the spear dwarf's equipment dog piled on the poor bastard.
The hatch is replaced, keeping dwarves safe from toads until another stupid troll comes along and breaks it.
"They say that adding soy sauce to pudding gives the taste of sea urchin, but really, adding soy sauce to pudding only gives the taste of soy sauce and pudding"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: July 27, 2010, 09:14:59 pm »

I had my first real injury of 31.xx just now. A kobold thief shanked my miner. I have no idea why people don't like the medical system; it was beautiful. I could tell exactly what needed to be done, and from there it was a simple matter of doing it (I didn't have any cloth or splints at the time).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: July 27, 2010, 09:58:22 pm »

i released a caged bronze colossus inside the center of my fortress....

sigh

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: July 27, 2010, 10:15:42 pm »

As I'm used to [speed:0] dwarves, I gave all my dwarves a massive increase in agility with runesmith. This is fun.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: July 27, 2010, 10:22:30 pm »

Diary of Goden Taltotdakost:

Good lord man, that creeped me the hell out.  I just felt like I was there...

Now i'm going to have nightmares.  Nice work.

Thanks!

Hmm. on the bone coffins and lack of decorations My memory may simply not extend over my nearly 100 artifacts. I don't remember seeing it before, I'm pretty sure even perfect Gems have some kind of engraving on them.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: July 27, 2010, 11:27:43 pm »

Artifact with only 1 material have a free decoration from the same material. If theres none it's more likely a bug

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: July 28, 2010, 12:01:50 pm »

Just got hit with my third siege; this time, the local leader paid a visit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Champions of Armorseals have surely earned their keep today.
You can see where they decided to flee after their lead force got routed - Most, as the red-bordered picture shows, didn't make it too far back up the mountain.

A previously unseen force heads towards the entrance from the east as well. Once again, they were quickly slaughtered. The Elven diplomat who arrived mere moments before the Goblins, much to my chagrin, survived the siege. Oh, well... I'm biding my time until they try to siege. Their caravan will once again be locked in the depot, left to slowly be driven insane.

Only two casualties were suffered; a horse foal, and a fisherdwarf who clearly did not understand the meaning of "indoors". He will not be missed.
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: July 28, 2010, 02:34:39 pm »

There are human traders inside my fortress two groups of goblin ambushers outside my fortress, and a forgotten beast in the caverns.  I managed to get the diplomat out through the caverns without getting eaten by the FB (He was already at the caverns when the FB first appeared), but the traders themselves are still stuck inside.

I'm armoring up a squad of 7 untrained axedwarves, debating whether to go against the FB or the goblins... Probably the FB, since at the very least my guys will have a numerical advantage and because it has no armor (how tough can a blue haired cockroach be anyways?)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: July 28, 2010, 03:05:03 pm »

Why didn't you just use crossbows to drive the goblins off? Killing one or two would probably do the trick, then you'd get free armor.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: July 28, 2010, 03:15:56 pm »

Been having difficulty locating the first cavern layer. I found the second and third, but I don't want to open those up in this fort. I must find the first cavern layer.
It wouldn't be so important really, but I do have to build a pump stack to get the water up 80+ z-levels to the mountain top where I'm going to build the capitol of my dwarven metropolis. I've built it around a volcano high in the mountains(embark anywhere utility), which is why the 1st cavern starts so far down. (at least I think it must, each cavern is 4 z-levels apart and the second is around 90 z-levels down, with the third being 100 down.) it's all messed up, we're gonna die if I don't decide.

How amusing I suddenly discovered it -49 z-levels down, apparently I had missed it 5 separate times. This also confuzzles me since the second begins at -96? How the hell? Anyway, I broke into a huge open space over the water, going from -49 to -61 at the bottom of the lake, 215 to 203 on the overall (holy f*&^ this map is tall, I get another 51 z-levels up from the surface too. It's a shame I specifically forced the game to kill off the dwarven civs so I could start anew with this amazing capital city metropolis, named Ironhalls, I wanted Ironforge but the dwarven language has no word for forge, and it would be less epic to be called ironfurnace or ironanvil.

Now beginning excavation of the wash room where dwarves will wash off their contaminants without tracking them across the fort afterwards (annoying, isn't it?)

Also, I think it should allow us to [R]eclaim any ruined dwarven mountain halls of our own civs, just to be interesting, and on top of my previous suggestion of the game copying layouts of forts we make (and prompting us to say whether we want a fort to be saved) and used later in new gens, saving them in a text file so we can design the mountain halls of our civs in an infinitely diverse way, and share our designs via the text files on the forum/with dffd.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:45:10 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: July 28, 2010, 03:55:14 pm »

I was distracted while breaching one of the caverns, and left a hole open where I meant to put a door.  Forgotten beast gets into the stairwell.  It's deadly dust is apparently gas at room temperature, and causes all your blood to fall out.  Instantly.  Thank god the war elephant the elves sold me lasted long enough to trample the beast in half, but I still went from 70 dwarves to 20.  Getting the occasional tantrum now.  Only one of my original 7 remains alive.

Also thankful that apparently the deadly dust has dissipated following the beast's death, or otherwise I'd be really screwed.

EDIT: 19 sane dwarves.  One just went melancholy.
EDIT 2: 18.  Well, who needs weavers anyways.
E3: 17.
15.  That's the third dwarf I've appointed as broker to go nuts.  I guess appraisal skills make you more susceptible to going crazy.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 04:13:37 pm by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: July 28, 2010, 04:06:16 pm »

Today I learned that an enormous slavering cockroach with a square shell and long and straight midnight blue hair, while weak enough to be torn apart by 7 unarmed dwarves, can still be quite deadly if it has fast acting poisonous vapors that shut down your lung function.

Not a single Dwarf died in combat, but 6 of the 7 died to it's syndrome.
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 3842