Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100238 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4290 on: July 19, 2010, 01:01:53 pm »

No iron. Small amounts of copper, but I hadn't found any tin.  Naturally my military is not fully prepared when the first Orc ambush shows up.  I have a few crossbowdracon on the walls, with copper bolts, but despite all my attempts I am unable to get them to stand behind their fortifications.  It seems they take the station order as a vague suggestion and just decide to stand near it instead of at the proper position they need to be if they want to be able to use my fortifications.

My military manages to repel the ambush squads, barely.  Mostly just dumb luck that the crossbow deck was incomplete and the crossbow users didn't have to worry about the fortifications in a particular spot.  And the one adamantine sword I managed to hastily produce when the ambush showed up, which the militia commander ran off to grab while the crossbow fiasco was happening.  Showing a surprising degree of competence that he got it and got back to the fray with it in time to put it to shiny cyan tinged use.

5 deaths.  1 legendary miner that was outside digging into ice, 1 tanner, and 3 wrestlers, of the remaining melee soldiers only two aren't partially paralyzed or missing limbs.  Still I think I got lucky, nobody is tantrumming, and the fortress still stands.  I'm out of bolts, and I'm not sure I can handle another wave, but for now the fortress named Deathtrap still stands.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: July 19, 2010, 01:29:53 pm »

I guess I'll keep playing 40d until I lose my fort.
 :P

After that I'll switch.

I'll probably need some time to get used to using the escape key to back out instead of space.  :-\

And silly soliders, stop making each other bleed to death.
Death count of dwarves so far: 5

You can rebind the key to space in the options fyi :P

Takes only a few seconds and voila space works again.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: July 19, 2010, 01:41:32 pm »

Whats going on in my fort, you ask?

Since the wiki entry concerning bits of my adventures has spoiler warnings, I guess I'll be a good dorf and throw some tags on.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

bobbens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: July 19, 2010, 01:57:26 pm »

Pets randomly start bleeding to death. It seems like a 4 year dead forgotten beast has started to take it's toll with it's ultra-toxic ichor. Meanwhile another forgotten beast hits the primary cavern stairs, it starts spewing this dust that creates blisters all over whoever it touches. Four dead of bleeding, but a couple speardwarves manage to kill the beast. The hospital is now full of rotting dwarves throwing miasma all over. At least my hospital staff wasn't on break this time. Diagnosis: Needs cleaning and surgery on their entire body.

Fun thing I found out about surgery. Resting dwarves think they're cured in the middle of it and run off. The surgeon cancels surgery and there we have it. Half a dozen dwarves in advanced rotting stages spewing miasma all over the fort. Fun times. It seems like I'll have to kill the lot, which leaves me with an amputee and a comatose as the remainders of my 15 dwarf militia. Since I've been having major issues getting them to train, I probably won't get a substitution anytime soon.

So, for next time. Train marksdwarves, don't let the forgotten beasts bleed. If so, flood the entire damn place to clean it up (assuming that does clean it up).

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4294 on: July 19, 2010, 02:00:32 pm »

So, for next time. Train marksdwarves, don't let the forgotten beasts bleed. If so, flood the entire damn place to clean it up (assuming that does clean it up).

Flooding with water doesn't.  Flooding with magma does.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

bobbens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: July 19, 2010, 02:04:46 pm »

Flooding with water doesn't.  Flooding with magma does.

Isn't there a way to make dwarves clean it? I've seen them clean stuff before.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4296 on: July 19, 2010, 02:11:47 pm »

In theory, dwarves will clean up spilled blood/ichor/goo/whatever on tiles, and can even do so safely with poisonous substances.  If you have just a few isolated tiles, that might work.  Once you have a large pool covering multiple tiles, the dwarves seem to spread it around as much as they clean it up.  They go to clean up one tile, walking through pools of whatever on other tiles on the way there, get it on themselves, and then track it around making more mess than they cleaned up.  And if you get water near the area, forget it - you'll just spread the contaminant around even more that way.  Contaminants don't even remotely respect conservation of mass, they breed like amoebas powered by the footsteps of passing dwarves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

bobbens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: July 19, 2010, 02:16:44 pm »

In theory, dwarves will clean up spilled blood/ichor/goo/whatever on tiles, and can even do so safely with poisonous substances.  If you have just a few isolated tiles, that might work.  Once you have a large pool covering multiple tiles, the dwarves seem to spread it around as much as they clean it up.  They go to clean up one tile, walking through pools of whatever on other tiles on the way there, get it on themselves, and then track it around making more mess than they cleaned up.  And if you get water near the area, forget it - you'll just spread the contaminant around even more that way.  Contaminants don't even remotely respect conservation of mass, they breed like amoebas powered by the footsteps of passing dwarves.

Yeah I thought so, which is why this fort is a bit screwed. At any moment a tantrum spiral will start from the dead pets or a dwarf might die. My mayor currently has burnt almost all the fat off his body I'm guessing by the ichor. If it can't be cleaned there isn't much I can do. I walled off the area, but it's most of the caverns and my entire cavern stair. It's all fun and games until you get toxic ichor and rotting dust. Then it's also fun and games, but you know you're screwed :).

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #4298 on: July 19, 2010, 02:39:44 pm »

Playing same fort for 5 years now, just broke into cavern and began collecting web and tree caps. I created my first well, and I think its quite well designed cause it refils when rains.

But I now have a BIG problem. Nothing fun (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Fun) is happening, no sieges/ambush monster from caverns. Just cats. When do I start running into such things? (not cats, sieges) I don't currently have much to do. Only deaths have been crazy dorfs because of shell demands and few dorfs trapping themselves with constructed walls and dehydrating.

I really want to test my military, I have 2 legendary soldiers, but even in the cavern I didn't run into anything. Should I piss off elves? They trade nothing but useless cloth and humans just started appearing so they can replace elves as trade pals.

I'm onto explore caverns more in case the other islands have enemies.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

bobbens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: July 19, 2010, 03:04:53 pm »

Playing same fort for 5 years now, just broke into cavern and began collecting web and tree caps. I created my first well, and I think its quite well designed cause it refils when rains.

But I now have a BIG problem. Nothing fun (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Fun) is happening, no sieges/ambush monster from caverns. Just cats. When do I start running into such things? (not cats, sieges) I don't currently have much to do. Only deaths have been crazy dorfs because of shell demands and few dorfs trapping themselves with constructed walls and dehydrating.

I really want to test my military, I have 2 legendary soldiers, but even in the cavern I didn't run into anything. Should I piss off elves? They trade nothing but useless cloth and humans just started appearing so they can replace elves as trade pals.

I'm onto explore caverns more in case the other islands have enemies.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: July 19, 2010, 06:15:19 pm »

Embarked on a really awesome mesa.  It stretches to the east of a small single peak mountain and has plenty of trees and a few lakes.  It's set apart from the rest of the map, except for a small natural bridge (which the dwarves started out on -- it's fate!) which connects to a much larger mountain range to the south.  I'm going to remove all the ramps on the edges, then replace the natural bridge with a retracting one.  It's the best-looking, most defensible set-up I've been graced with yet!  And just for fun, I might divert the stream to the west and surround the whole thing, too.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: July 19, 2010, 06:46:37 pm »

Mod in crowbars and HEV suits and build a perpetual motion machine deep underground and then breach the HFS.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: July 19, 2010, 06:48:04 pm »

I am currently draining my moat so I can fill it with magma. It's the first magma moat I have ever made! It is glorious! :D
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: July 19, 2010, 07:04:25 pm »

I am currently draining my moat so I can fill it with magma. It's the first magma moat I have ever made! It is glorious! :D

I'm unfamiliar with moats.

But if you need a floodgate, I dare you to make it out of wood. And then poor booze all over it.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: July 19, 2010, 08:25:09 pm »

I'm flooding the lower parts of the volcano in lava.
Bwahaha!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 3842