Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099922 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4320 on: July 20, 2010, 04:06:32 pm »

Militia captain went insane and is now disturbind his squad members while theyre trying to traing. "too insane to pickup equipment"
The rocksalt road to trade depot is being finished, when dwarf caravan comes I will have all the items they requested so I'll might be able to buy pretty much all I want and more. Being mass producing gloves, beer, meals and splints so I can trade them.
The grand dining room is still used as dormitory for sleepy dorfs, but It can soon be used for its real purpose when new lower level based dormitory is finished. Gotta start mass producing tables and chairs for my 120 dwarfves, I always run out of them...  :-\
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: July 20, 2010, 06:21:45 pm »

hoping that FBs can't fly.

Can flying things move THROUGH fortifications?

*currently has 7 fbs running around in the basement, one of which is a mite with wings*
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:24:11 pm by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4322 on: July 20, 2010, 06:23:38 pm »

Can flying things move THROUGH fortifications?
Sometimes.

Forgotten beasts made of gas or mist or smoke or whatever will pass straight through fortifications.  Other creatures won't go through fortifications on their own, but can be pushed through by flowing water or magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: July 20, 2010, 06:24:43 pm »

ok then I think I've patched the security hole. one teeny missed wall has now been installed. anyone know if they can deconstruct in flight? I'd assume they can. so far the only weakness is my drain.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:39:50 pm by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

ikacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: July 20, 2010, 06:44:23 pm »

ok then I think I've patched the security hole. one teeny missed wall has now been installed. anyone know if they can deconstruct in flight? I'd assume they can. so far the only weakness is my drain.

I don't think they can. Or at least they don't path to the construction. I had a fort with a walled off cavern near the ceiling and collected 3 flying FB in it. They never once went after the wall in 5 years.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: July 20, 2010, 06:52:59 pm »

Mine Did.

*Mayor facepalms*

ikacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: July 20, 2010, 07:17:05 pm »

Now that I think about it, mine were holes where the FB would have to move upward to get through. Building destroyers cannot destroy buildings that are above them, which explains why mine didn't escape. my bad.

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: July 20, 2010, 07:24:05 pm »

enjoying over 100 fps with 60 dwarves, 50 animals roaming free, an elven caravan, and a cave-in that apparently hit the fortress of doom before the clown college.
also making my own underground river, to power a pump stack, to drown elven caravans and subsequent sieges.

i'm still enjoying my overclocked 3ghz processor @ 3.9, running stable at 105 degrees Fahrenheit on stock air.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: July 20, 2010, 07:29:02 pm »

Used a squad to dispatch a hydra effortlessly with no wounds or losses, and now embarking on an effort to dig down to the magma sea (my military has clearly proven itself capable of handling megabeasts, so FBs should be a moot point).  We've hit an insane quantity of gold and other ores but the focus is on reaching the magma sea and of course certain other materials in order to avert Peak Charcoal and to become the mountainhome for our civilization.

Four years in, going on five.

Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: July 20, 2010, 09:11:36 pm »

My fortress, Pillarpicks, enters its 6th year. I have my first ever magma forges set up--a personal milestone--and I've reactivated invaders now that crossbowdwarves work. I have not bothered exploring the caverns though, I might do that soon.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: July 20, 2010, 09:28:13 pm »

at this rate my fort will be seigable within the next 6-10 years.

*Mayor facepalms*

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: July 20, 2010, 09:32:01 pm »

I've had a goblin siege wandering around above my fort for a while (although my fort has been permanently under siege since I used Runesmith to kill one off).  They've basically been walking around killing Zombie Camels, since they can't find my door.  They also killed my very first Titan, by whipping him in half.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: July 20, 2010, 09:42:23 pm »

Expanding into my second power reservoir. I don't need the extra 900 power yet, but it never hurts to be able to rig up an emergency water cannon.

*Mayor facepalms*

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: July 20, 2010, 11:27:09 pm »

I managed to lure the blob out of an alternate entrance I dug down to the bottom and up to the surface outside the fort. In the process, I managed to only lose 2 more dwarves. Once outside, I walled off my entrance (trapavoid, building destroyer:2, completely indestructible blobs are bad for dwarven fort entrances). At the same time, I dug down into the tunnel I had created to let it outside, and walled it off. I now have a sow blob forgotten beast outside, with no way of it or anything else getting in, or me getting out. Now I can finally finish putting together my magma pump stack in peace. And once that is all worked out, a magma cannon to take care of that snow blob once and for all!

The only problem I can forsee are the humans with the trade caravan currently in my fort; I won't be able to clear the entrance to let them out any time soon.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: July 21, 2010, 01:43:10 am »

Werewolves keep picking off my wood cutters.  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 3842