Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100392 times)

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4275 on: July 19, 2010, 05:02:04 am »

Started on an underground tree farm, wich turned into project drowning chamber due to forgetting floodgates. Learned that I should plan room placement in z directions better as project drowning chamber means having an aqueduct run straight through my crafting level.

Also been doing some landscape modification to make a raised road from my entrance to map edge as well as having my first mayor arrive. Got a nice and big room waiting for him, just need to furnish it.

feeling the urge to do big and unnecesary things pressing on and a tower city is starting to sound nice. maybe ill try something like Tokyo-3 from Evangelion, with nice inverse towers (though no moving buildings).
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: July 19, 2010, 06:47:15 am »

Recently got visited by dem humans on their fancy mounts.

The law-giver that accompanied them seemed like a good lad, honest and thorough almost to dwarf-like levels. However, he rivalled the bravey of even the sturdiest dwarf as he left through the caverns - alone.  The next year, he returned. Only to repeat the deed.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: July 19, 2010, 07:05:12 am »

My liaison got riddled with goblin arrows but he survived, now he returns each year, still with several arrows stuck in his upper and lower body like they were nothing.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: July 19, 2010, 08:00:17 am »

My second .31 fortress is now getting interesting.

Got up to about 50 pop, had killed several FBs without any poisoning, some gobbos and various cave dwellers.  I run an open fort policy, more open due to the three caverns and minimum z levels between them.  The military are forever chasing crundles down, but at least it keeps the meat and leather stocks up.

Then another FB appeared.  A scaley, horned maggot, with a some fearsome breath.  No problem, send in the legendary axe lords.  Oh.  One dead.  Ive not had a combat death for a good while now.  And another. hmm.  Well I hope its getting injured and the rest will finish it off.  Then again, perhaps not.  It appears that a @Bronze Axe@ wont cut the scales.  I had 8 military and a couple of trainy marksdwarves, and was down to the last couple, so with the FB distracted chasing a hauler around the lower caverns, and no obstruction limiting its access to the main stair core, I ordered the civs to a new burrow outside, where I could dig a new hole and wall ourselves in, at least until I had worked out what to do.

Everyone streamed outside as I designated a new stair entrance when....

"Curses an Ambush!"
Oh dear...
"Curses an Ambush!"
"Curses an Ambush!"
"Curses an Ambush!"

Now Im down to 9 dwarves, and we are stuck in the upper levels of the old fortess, with a bridge to the main fort dug out to isolate us from the now named scaley maggot.  Only one dwarf seems uphappy at the mass of death, so I guess I had them working too hard to make friends.  The only couple and their child are dead, and the recently appointed legedary miner / expedition leader seemed to scare the gobbos off with his pick, without getting any kills.  All the military were long dead since then, so I guess I got lucky.

Now I need to work out how to kill the beast, and to trap arm my entrance against goblins, so I dug another long stair down to the magma, to lay out some magma smelters and forges.  Of course forgetting I am short an anvil.  I sure hope the next caravan brings one.  As the channels were dug out above the magame caves to provide power to the smelters...

"Praise the Miners!"

First time ever.

I have had various ideas for getting out of this, and some of them involve magma.  But this is the most challenging fort since about my third fortress when I learnt all abut carp. Until I learnt about Restricted traffic designation.  But it is the most fun.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: July 19, 2010, 09:38:36 am »

Well, I have just went through my first seige. It was probably like 7 goblins.

I set everyone inside, put my military in position.
I have a little hut thing near my enterance where I planned I would put my marksdwarves so they couldn't be hit by any melee.

I set two other squads near my enterance. Everyone went where they were suppossed to, except my captain of the guard. He comes out and starts shoving spears through the goblins.
I was like, 'oh my...' since it would be seven vs one. Suddenly, a kobold thief appears. I then think, wow.
Luckily, One of my four marksdorfs comes out and start shooting at the thief. After that thing dies. It comes and shoots the seige. I was dissapointed because I was expecting the seige to need more than two dorfs.

Now I'm waiting for anything else exciting. Hopefully a dragon. I have a dungeon master and I want him to do something.

Cancel sleep: resting.

I also have about 80 animals.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4280 on: July 19, 2010, 09:41:40 am »

Now I'm waiting for anything else exciting. Hopefully a dragon. I have a dungeon master and I want him to do something.
May I ask which version you're playing?  If you're on DF2010, you would be the only person I know who's managed to get a Dungeon Master to actually show up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: July 19, 2010, 09:45:35 am »

lol.

How can I tell?

I got the download from Tinypirate's tutorial, if that helps.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: July 19, 2010, 09:46:16 am »

May I ask which version you're playing?  If you're on DF2010, you would be the only person I know who's managed to get a Dungeon Master to actually show up.

I've heard of maybe two people say they've gotten one, but that's it. Personally I changed all instances of [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] in the raws until this oversight is addressed.

And eclipsetail, you're playing the last major version release then (40d); the current one is the one with DM issues, so no worries :P

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: July 19, 2010, 09:48:12 am »

Oh okay.

Right now I'm just waiting for maybe a megabeat or something, since it's getting quite boring.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: July 19, 2010, 10:56:18 am »

My underwater fort is no long underwater. A huge humanoid composed of flame with stretched skin wings flew in my fort-hole and evaporated the entire fucking surrounding water.
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: July 19, 2010, 11:00:29 am »

My underwater fort is no long underwater. A huge humanoid composed of flame with stretched skin wings flew in my fort-hole and evaporated the entire fucking surrounding water.

Fire now beats water.

I bet it wouldn't have gone well if it found your booze.

Edit: The one I'm playing, 40d you said, does it have titans and megabeasts? I know you can't change when they attack in the parameters.
I downloaded the latest with a graphics pack, and my main fort on that is going to be on a glacier.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 11:02:46 am by eclipsetail »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: July 19, 2010, 11:02:55 am »

Fire now beats water.

Edit: The one I'm playing, 40d you said, does it have titans and megabeasts? I know you can't change when they attack in the parameters.

40d is old. It has 4 different megabeasts, but DF2010 has unlimited randomly generated ones with random poisons and shit.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: July 19, 2010, 11:42:59 am »

Fire now beats water.

40d is old. It has 4 different megabeasts, but DF2010 has unlimited randomly generated ones with random poisons and shit.

I'm guessing there's no way to transfer my fortress in 40d to the new one?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4288 on: July 19, 2010, 11:54:52 am »

I'm guessing there's no way to transfer my fortress in 40d to the new one?
Sadly, no.  DF2010 completely broke savegame compatibility.  There are just too many differences in how the world is set up and how everything works to bring saves over.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: July 19, 2010, 12:05:45 pm »

I guess I'll keep playing 40d until I lose my fort.
 :P

After that I'll switch.

I'll probably need some time to get used to using the escape key to back out instead of space.  :-\

And silly soliders, stop making each other bleed to death.
Death count of dwarves so far: 5
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 3842