Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102147 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3945 on: June 24, 2010, 08:59:40 am »

Half the population died becaue THE FAKKING BREWERS JUST MOPE AROUND DAMMIT! AHHHHHHHHHHH!  >:(

Fun, indeed.

I've had dwarves die due to my brewers as well. I noticed that my booze supply was dangerously low, and when I told my cooks to make more they both decided to go on break.

10 dwarves died before I could build the well.
Well, at least you have water. I don't. There are only 8 adults left, now, the rest fo them being whiny kids who only eat shit.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: June 24, 2010, 11:44:38 am »

Half the population died becaue THE FAKKING BREWERS JUST MOPE AROUND DAMMIT! AHHHHHHHHHHH!  >:(

Fun, indeed.

I've had dwarves die due to my brewers as well. I noticed that my booze supply was dangerously low, and when I told my cooks to make more they both decided to go on break.

10 dwarves died before I could build the well.
Well, at least you have water. I don't. There are only 8 adults left, now, the rest fo them being whiny kids who only eat shit.

where did you get shit, and how do you make dwarves eat it?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: June 24, 2010, 12:37:53 pm »

I'm having an... interesting time in my current fort.  I decided to finally try my novice hand at the clowncar, so created a small map.  I took out the evil areas, and doubled-up on my good areas, and decided that caverns would only slow me down from my devoted mission goal.  So embarked, and noticed while planning carefully that I had a lot of points to spend.  A lot.  Too many.  So checking what I had for gear, I noticed a very odd list, missing several things, but one really stuck out.

There was naturally no booze.  Nor was there any to be taken with me on embark.

In removing the caverns, I eliminated the entire underground biome.  No fungi-wood.  No plump helmets.  There was nothing subterrene at all, nor would there ever be, save magma and the creatures that call it home.

But I pressed on, wanting to see how this particular brand of Fun would turn out.  I had most of my dwarves scurrying about picking herbs and brewing whatever I could find.  Which turned out to be sunberries.  I was on a good biome myself.  And then the unicorns started appearing around the edges of my map...

So now I find myself in a land where unicorns prowl the forests by the six-pack, the entire dwarven nation is stone-cold sobre, the only other intelligent life on the map is elves, and I'm slowly working my way toward a functional infinity of Fun.

I can't wait to see the end of everything here.  This land deserves to burn so badly I can feel it with all my senses.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: June 24, 2010, 01:28:48 pm »

In my fort, I just got my first Goblin ambush. Luckily, some well placed cage traps caught them all. As I sent out my men to haul the goblins in and replace the cages? But what's this?

IT'S A TRAP.

ANOTHER Goblin ambush was lying in wait just beyond my trap range. My men quickly rush back inside before I shut the main gates...except one of my starting 7, a High Master Miner named Solon, and also the only person married in my fort. He gets cut down mercilessly.

The Goblin ambush was repelled, but since the death of their good friend my other starting 6 are either 'fine' or 'content'. On the plus side, his wife had a baby shortly after he died. Planning to make her a miner.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: June 24, 2010, 01:38:15 pm »

I decided to open up a hole in my blockade to expose my farm to the caverns through a passage lined with cage traps. Second I did this, naked mole dogs made a beeline to my fortress. Then some trogs did the same. It seems like cavern critters don't wander about like surface dwellers, which is pretty irritating. A human caravan just arrived though so I'll just sell these guys to them.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: June 24, 2010, 01:44:11 pm »

Just started a new fortress in a sinister biome in the new version.  My FPS is the highest it's ever been.

Edit:  In fact, I'm almost struggling to keep up with it!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:27:12 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: June 24, 2010, 01:56:39 pm »

My fortress got attacked somehow 3 times in one month. 2 seperate vile forces of darkness, one orc and one goblin attacked at the same time.  Somehow the orcs also had 2 ambush squads led by dwarves.

My military manages to take care of them, with only two civilian casualties and the dog on a rope ambush detector system needing a new puppy.  but one of my weird swordsman that insists on fighting unarmed and stark naked (despite the military screen saying they have a full set of gear assigned and in use)  Managed to get an upper arm ripped off by a cave crawler.  I figured that soldier was doomed to bleed out.

Nope.  The soldier walked a couple tiles away from the fighting and passed out.  Then only about 30 ticks later wakes back up and charges back into the fray. The arm completely stopped bleeding I guess soldiers have magical healing abilities when they take a nap.  After all the fighting there isn't even a diagnosis request.  just a 'grasp somewhat impaired'.

The only way it could have been more awesome is if they grabbed their arm and started beating things with it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: June 24, 2010, 02:10:18 pm »

I just lost just short of a year's worth of a fort when my computer crashed. I would have lost more If I didn't have yearly saves on, but even so the loss is crippling. I think I'm just gonna start over.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: June 24, 2010, 03:55:49 pm »

I just lost just short of a year's worth of a fort when my computer crashed. I would have lost more If I didn't have yearly saves on, but even so the loss is crippling. I think I'm just gonna start over.
That's why I have seasonal autosave on. Still, losing any progress is annoying. My Fortress crashed towards the end of summer, forcing me to redo everything I had done in that month. I lost a ton of work on extending the fort and a migrant wave, which further hampered my abilities to build the fort. I need more masons.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: June 24, 2010, 05:04:14 pm »

I just sealed my mayoress in her bedroom to starve. Stupid B**** has mandated the construction of clownium items once too often. Cost me my legendary armorsmith...  :'(
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: June 24, 2010, 05:16:50 pm »

I just sealed my mayoress in her bedroom to starve. Stupid B**** has mandated the construction of clownium items once too often. Cost me my legendary armorsmith...  :'(

I usually mod out most of the mandates. I know it's cheating, but its always either something I can't make or I forget about it. Besides, killing nobles just feels so much better when they don't do anything to deserve it.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: June 24, 2010, 05:26:55 pm »

Wouldn't it just be easier to replace the mayor via the nobles screen?
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: June 24, 2010, 05:31:02 pm »

I am still using 40d so... no.

I tried to make her leverpull herself to fiery doom, but somehow my mechanic refuses to install a connection between the lever and the support.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: June 24, 2010, 05:52:25 pm »

Fuck the humans. They're demands were ridiculous. I didn't need what they were trading, so I don't care if they left. Why must traders always request such huge profits they get mad when I try to be sensible?
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: June 24, 2010, 06:15:44 pm »

Fuck the humans. They're demands were ridiculous. I didn't need what they were trading, so I don't care if they left. Why must traders always request such huge profits they get mad when I try to be sensible?

because, you know all those goblins and megabeasts and crazy animals you create a military, and build walls against?
Yeah, they have to travel through those in a frikkin' wagon.

Not to mention the supplies they must consume. You ever tried to trek overland in adventure mode?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 3842