Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101856 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3960 on: June 24, 2010, 07:44:00 pm »

Fuck the humans. They're demands were ridiculous. I didn't need what they were trading, so I don't care if they left. Why must traders always request such huge profits they get mad when I try to be sensible?

because, you know all those goblins and megabeasts and crazy animals you create a military, and build walls against?
Yeah, they have to travel through those in a frikkin' wagon.

Not to mention the supplies they must consume. You ever tried to trek overland in adventure mode?

Yeah but there's a fine difference between trying to make a profit and taking advantage of someone just because they brought extra goods tor trade.

Also I just had an untamed elephant give birth to calves while tapped in a cage. I didn't know that was possible.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: June 24, 2010, 07:52:05 pm »

Screenshot

One of my first castles to survive for longer than 5 years.  I'm about to build a jail on the ground floor and finish the moat. 

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: June 25, 2010, 01:17:32 am »

Oh dear. I finished linking up my entrance bridges, so I decided to pull the lever to test them once to make sure it was done properly.

Well, they were. Unfortunately, A mechanic was going to reload a cage trap when the bridge retracted. So he fell a few z levels onto the hard rock floor. Good thing I didn't install the spikes yet. Still, I'm not sure I can save him.

EDT: Nope. He just bled to death. Wonderful.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: June 25, 2010, 01:49:42 am »

Those dirty goblins that killed Solon?

They got caught in some cage traps.

I threw them all into the magma. I didn't even bother taking their weapons.

Solon can rest in peace now.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: June 25, 2010, 02:35:12 am »

My baroness just demanded elk bird horn cabinet in Tomb... yeah she'll be in the tomb soon with such demands...

And now a child got possessed, call the exorcist!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 05:24:32 am by belannaer »

Zopha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: June 25, 2010, 03:13:09 am »

Some merchant appeared and demanded a trade depot to peddle his wears. After ignoring him for a few minutes he threw a tantrum and his own guards killed him and left. The dwarves did the sensable thing and nicked all the traders booze.

Brian the Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: June 25, 2010, 03:33:12 am »

My Dwarves have had a hectic time of it, this time around.

It's my first embark in a tundra biome. I quite abruptly came to realize that, no, the many frozen pools would not ever defrost in to drinkable/irrigatable water.

Many dwarves died of thirst by the time I managed to dig down to the caverns in a vain hope that they would have water. Lo and behold, the bottom of the caverns is basically nothing BUT water, with just enough muddy floor to sustain decent farming. Praise Armok! Many have died, but their remains have been enshrined in the entrance hall, forever remembered for their ...ahem...noble sacrifice.

So right now I am re-assigning jobs, barely getting a military started up, getting my metalworks up and running, and fighting off the occasional beasties of the deep. Freakin' crocodiles, man.

Luckily my exterior wall is complete, so I am safe from the prowling wolves and goblins. Once things are going smoothly, I'll try my hand at building a pump to bring water closer to the main levels for a well.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: June 25, 2010, 11:54:03 am »

My duchess likes bins... and i mean reeeeaaaaly likes them. There is even an engraving of her somewhere showing her admiring a bin. At first I thought: GREAT, at least the mandated goods are actually useful. But then she put an export ban on bins. *facepalm*

I will not kill her, since I can still let the dorfs haul the bins to the trade depot, but I have to select every single item by hand for trading.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: June 25, 2010, 12:19:22 pm »

Modified tigermen to be a playable race. Messed up a bit, since it was my first time doing such a thing, but it works now. The tigermen are all speaking dwarven and choose mountains as their home, but hey, they let me play. Replaced CAN_CIV and CAN_SPEAK with just INTELLIGENT, and their ethics allow them to kill and eat sentients if they so choose. Let the elven caravans come. Tigermen get hungry.

Of course, no tileset I can find has graphics for tigermen. Ah, well. They can be a bunch of multi-coloured "T"s, then. All the professions seem to work thus far, which is the important bit.

Though my choice of embark could be better. Chose a location between a volcano and a brook, so I have plenty of easily-accessible magma. But the brook is frozen until summer, and freezes again in late autumn. Took me until the second year to irrigate a farm, but since I forgot to mod out the CARNIVORE tag, it's only an issue for dye and pig tails. I'll consider pulling the magma over to the other side of the map to keep the brook warm all year 'round, but that will probably have to wait a while ...

As for booze. Tigermen like their booze almost as much as dwarves, it seems. As far as I can tell, they don't slow down if they only drink water, though.

Goblin thieves came by, and somehow managed to sneak by my guard dogs at the gate. One went three stories up to the farms (the brook is at +5, so the farms are at +4), scared a tigerwoman farmer and her cubs. The thief also freaked out at being spotted, stabbed the tigerwoman in the shoulder, then fled.

Mother tigerwoman managed to get a swipe at him as he turned his back, but collapsed from the pain not too long after, bleeding profusely. Her cubs carried her to the hospital, where, after a bit of fiddling and figuring out that the doctor was accidentally doubling as my main furnace operator, got diagnosed, sutured, and bandaged. She's still unconscious, her three cubs hovering around her night and day.

Almost immediately afterwards, fifteen (!) migrants came. I put almost all of them to work smelting iron ore to turn into pig iron, then steel. We'll see how goblins fare against a steel-clad tigerman army and a few +steel spear+ traps.
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.

Ultraviolent4

• Bay Watcher
  • Lol words
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: June 25, 2010, 12:26:39 pm »

1 dwarf against a siege? Sure, why not?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

17 kills later and they all run.

This. Dwarf. Is. A. Beast.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3970 on: June 25, 2010, 12:30:09 pm »

:-\ The ironic thing is that I was going to order my mason to make a quern soon anyway. And the bad part is that he didn't get legendary out of it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: June 25, 2010, 01:19:26 pm »

1 dwarf against a siege? Sure, why not?

17 kills later and they all run.

This. Dwarf. Is. A. Beast.

Yea it seems with high quality armor and a bit of skill you can still end up with superunits.  I'm fighting multiple seiges from multiple civs at once with nothing but 20 godlike melee soldiers.  After a few losses from soldiers that refused to put on their full gear I'm absolutely destroying siege after siege, without so much as a scratch on anyone.

The archers can't hurt anyone, when a bolt comes anywhere near anyone the soldier just bats it out of the air (I'm not using shields) and if a bolt does manage to get through, even steel or mithril ones just bounce off the armor with a 'tink'.  Soldiers all have full steel plate with an adamantine mail shirt and adamantine weapons.  Greenskin weapons can't penetrate anyone's armor, while the adamantine weaponry make the opponent's armor about as effective as cardboard.

I have one soldier that is completely missing an arm.  On a previous siege she wasn't wearing any armor.  In my most recent siege she killed 4 goblins by herself.  WITH ONE ARM.  Good equipment and high skill beats overwhelming numbers any day it seems.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 01:21:29 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: June 25, 2010, 01:27:37 pm »

:-\ The ironic thing is that I was going to order my mason to make a quern soon anyway. And the bad part is that he didn't get legendary out of it.

I can't see how making a quern from a lead ore could be considered a good news in real life.

Use it to mill for the noble, help them stupid themselves to death.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3973 on: June 25, 2010, 01:42:48 pm »

-.-;

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: June 25, 2010, 01:48:30 pm »

My second Fort in .31 . Everything is going well until my second siege. 4 squads, hammerer, lasher, crossbowman and trolls. No big deal I think, I have 20 well trained, well equiped soldiers, half of them legendary. I was about to release them on the gobbos when I noticed that I made a channeling mistake, releasing all of the 200 animals from my breeding pit into my fort... ok, my fps was going to it's knees so I decided to manage this problem first, then taking care about the gobbos. I shut the gates.

So, I was quite busy with slaugthering the animals when suddenly I get messages like job cancel : interrupted by gobbo crossbowman... wut? I switched to surface view just to see how it began. I saw 15 crossbowman, standing on top of a hill... shooting in my fucking courtyard... into my statue garden... about 40 dwarves where there... it was horiffic. For those poor souls the sky must have gone dark from the sheer mass of bolts raining down on them, before everything else went dark... a child was shot down, another one, another one, a blacksmith, doctors dieing left and right (damnit!)... 15 of the 40 escaped from the slaughter, 7 will die soon, probably, because there is only one doctor left.

When my squads finally reached the gobbos outside it was already too late for the civilians... but they took revenge, quick and brutal with only minor casualties. Lead by my superlegendary elite squad they brutalized every damn gobbo and troll. Only 2 fairly new recruits died and one legendary got his eye scratched.

So I went down from 135 to about 110 - 7 in the hospital. But the dreaded tantrum spiral is now looming over my fort, 2 already have gone stark raving mad.... FUN!
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 3842