Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102440 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3840 on: June 21, 2010, 10:33:48 am »

I'm having yearly floods, my river doesn't thaw all at once, so it backs up and builds a ton of pressure, usually breaking something of mine and flooding an outlying room.

It doesn't help that I'm basically at the bottom of a waterfall.

Having to be absolutely certain that no one dies while dealing with water pressure problems is a blast.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: June 21, 2010, 11:03:51 am »

1st cavern is 3 levels below my fort proper. We've walled off a section and taken all the trees. It's the Plants we're really after though, we need seeds badly.

*Mayor facepalms*

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: June 21, 2010, 11:27:19 am »

Due to a few mistakes, my Captain of the Guard is a Great Miner and carries a pick.  I didn't realize this until he murdered a jeweler.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: June 21, 2010, 11:50:23 am »

I decided to expand my caverns to include a small fishing pond. I already have plenty of surface fishing, but I figure some variety would be nice. I'm now regretting this since Elk Birds are trying to beat the crap out my miners. Sending the military down to get them, hopefully I won't experience any fun, since my two legendary miners recently got married.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: June 21, 2010, 11:54:45 am »

Baroness Rimtar's Diary, Hematite, 1057

There is treachery afoot, fomented by Elvish magiks, I know it. They think me a weak and witless fool but I see the signs of their fiendish plot. Oh, they tell me they weren't in their right mind, they tell me they were possessed! But possession is a window into the soul and through the work of the hands the truth shines out.

Two artifact wooden crowns in a row do not lie.

I believe they seek to hand the fortress over to the Plant Worshippers.

I must find the Militia Commander, I think perhaps it is time to declare the Woodworkers Guild enemies of the state.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: June 21, 2010, 12:10:21 pm »

You know, I was beginning to think these Elk Birds were just an annoyance. They were killed easily, and all they really did was bother my workers before the military showed up.

But now one of them just snapped my Engravers spine.

I don't care to much though. He was part of a migrant wave that just arrived, consisting of 23 dwarves. I mean come on  :-\. Managing all of that is a pain, even with Therapist.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: June 21, 2010, 01:06:46 pm »

Three mummies wandered into my fortress, slowly killing every single one of my 20 dwarves except one, an armorsmith who later on strangled the last mummy to death. If they wouldn't have those dead rotten flies that melt everything they wouldn't be hard to kill. Nothing bad has happened though, he's ecstatic about all this since he had no friends at all.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: June 21, 2010, 01:46:54 pm »

I just had a child drown to death. Not my fault though. He tried to remove a platform whilst standing in a position that would send him plummeting into the ocean. There were plenty of other places he could have stood, but instead he favored the spot of guaranteed death.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: June 21, 2010, 01:58:28 pm »

Hi!

Hey Urist, want some water?
No, I'm fine.
*SPLASH*

Likost McPrankdwarf has given someone water recently.

:) :) :) :)

The problem is that the recepient also had a receive water thought. Otherwise I would never have figured out who the target was. And I couldn't find any combat protocol in the gamelog.txt .

Anyhow, I have made some interesting discoveries:

On a local level, there had been a mystery that has been bugging me ever since I started mining out the pseudo-grate from the brook: although neither the brook nor the pools ever froze, the freak stones disappeared annually. Now, in the fourth year, the secret was revealed by chance: I just happened to be 1 level below the surface when suddenly a pool that was visible turned from dark blue to cyan - freezing! But just as I noticed, the game froze for a little while - because it was immediately thawing again. And since the rocks have disappeared annually without me noticing any frozen periods, that must occur every year - instant freeze for a few moments (^_^;;

Since I couldn't get a reliable freeze, I decided to breach the brook as it was, relying on the swift feet of my dwarves. That part actually went well, although the water that got through before the floodgate got closed was a bit more than I had planned. But then the spamming began: The only mother in my fortress who was carrying her baby regularly generated "cancel store item in bin:seeking infant" or similar. It seems that the 2/7 or 3/7 water made the baby float up, causing the mother to panic... Does this then mean that mothers are not actually carrying their children, but dragging them over the ground behind themselves?

With the floodgates all in place, I still need to remove the floors in the well reservoir and get rid of some stone and ore, and then I can create my well. Thus far, things are looking very good in the fortress.

Deathworks

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: June 21, 2010, 02:02:29 pm »

I just had a child drown to death. Not my fault though. He tried to remove a platform whilst standing in a position that would send him plummeting into the ocean. There were plenty of other places he could have stood, but instead he favored the spot of guaranteed death.

I find the easiest way to prevent that is to designate tiles you don't want them standing on as restricted, so that it's Nigh impossible that it will be the shortest route to deconstruct things.

Attempting to build a set of floodgates that will allow me to get around the different thaw/freeze times my rivers have so as to prevent future pressure surges due to backup and your usual High flow waterfall.

My tree farm is Brimming with new saplings, and shrubs galore, My seedbags will be full again, even though we lost a great deal to the floods.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 03:02:40 pm by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: June 21, 2010, 03:12:29 pm »

Decided to start a new fortress to be the new Flamebanner of DF2010. After embarking I realized that there was only a little flat ground and a mountain taking up most of the land.Decided to carve out a mountain for my new fortress and build my fortress inside. Started work on clearing out, then I realized that the volcano is 100 z levels tall. Out of stubbornest, I've decided to mine the whole thing out anyways. See you guys after the summer.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: June 21, 2010, 03:17:08 pm »

YES! My agrarian Lifestyle for the vault has payed off, with each eligible dwarf paired with another and ready to start popping out babies.

Excellent.

as a side effect of a small work force they're all good at just about all the basic tasks, all are at least adequate growers, all of them are decent masons, etc.

Only thing I don't have everyone trained in are Mining and woodcutting because I've not had the materials to craft more  picks/axes.

*Mayor facepalms*

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3852 on: June 21, 2010, 03:23:58 pm »

Does this then mean that mothers are not actually carrying their children, but dragging them over the ground behind themselves?

I just had to illustrate this.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: June 21, 2010, 03:30:41 pm »

It'd make sense, 4/7 is the start of swimming right? so 2/7 or 3/7 would be about chest height, where the baby is presumably stored. or perhaps the back.

*Mayor facepalms*

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: June 21, 2010, 03:34:28 pm »

Wrong picture. Baby should be dragged by beard (assuming it is male).
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 3842