Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102539 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3825 on: June 20, 2010, 02:38:05 pm »

:o

My metalworker got possessed and made a ring worth 29k Urist. It's shiny and menaces with the leather of various creatures that I bought off the human caravan a couple seasons ago for no reason in particular. I do not regret.
Dwarfbucks, sir. That's currency of  DF.

Urist is temperature unit in DF ;)
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: June 20, 2010, 03:28:39 pm »

In my fortress in the land of sorrows, which is actually called Nitigrigoth...The Sieges have backed off for quite awhile. Given me plenty of time to train up 36 Champion Wrestlers. This is 40D mind you.

I built several more large fortifications. I attempted a suspended Dwarven Atom smasher bridge for an execution ground for caged goblins, but that didn't work. I'm planning a ground based one this time around.

I'm messing with pumps, trying to make my Gobo-Pop factory. But, I'm still new to their functions so it may take awhile.

Had a laugh when a Dwarven trader from the mountainhome showed up and I decided to sell some of my collected Goblins into slavery, my idiot Dwarves, instead of taking the cages WITH the Goblins in them to the depot, let the goblins out. And started freaking out. Well, these were the Siege goblins. And they still had their weapons. So, I sicked my Champions on them.

Suffice to say...it was ugly for the Goblins. My Champions ripped them into Goblin chunks. Litterly. Or maybe they ate them, I'm not sure now.

I think they descended upon them shouting "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Oh yeah, also had 3 failed ambush's. One of the goblin's got turned into a splintery pincushion by wooden bolts from my Marksdwarves. The rest, fell into my ever expanding ocean of cage traps.

I'm also hoping I can find some Magma pockets. So I can stop relying on wood for fuel. Cause I need wood for everything else too. So, I'm digging.

I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: June 20, 2010, 07:21:12 pm »

Well right now I'm very happy. On my most recent embark, the ocean actually has a substantial amount of fish in it! I don't even need to bother with farming right now with this much fish.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: June 20, 2010, 07:57:41 pm »

It's better than most of the names generated in my current world. There is one terrifying biome called the "Useless Hills". So someone went there, saw undead abominations lurking around in a land of pure malevolence, and the first word they thought of to describe it was "useless".

I donno, that seems pretty apt to me.
Akur Akir Akam!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: June 21, 2010, 01:36:55 am »

My fortress is going pretty well.  I finally got a decent-sized farm, after years of carrying buckets of water up a mountain.  I finally am getting around to making beds and bedrooms for everybody, and we have enough food and booze.  My engraver is engraving the tunnel that leads to the trade depot.  I was hoping that his engravings of historical events would show the other races how worldly we are... but mostly they're just of humans getting shot by elves, goblins, or other humans.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: June 21, 2010, 01:49:22 am »

Working on building an Ice Airlock to connect opposite sides of the river. sure, digging under it would be Direct and easy, but this is Complicated and overly technical, so it's MUCH dwarfier. It breaks down to be pretty minimal in impact on the flow when it's not being used to transport units.

Bridges DO atomsmash liquids too right?
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: June 21, 2010, 03:18:39 am »

Hi!

I know this is a tad late, but the fortress where I got the barony actually got it on the second attempt as I didn't know which dwarf to select when asked the first time.

Thus, the only thing I know is that the barony question is only re-asked if your population grows.

Currently, I have started a fortress in 31.08 (hoping that there won't be any quick updates). Things are looking good with 17 dwarves, although I am keeping them too busy to get married. There are fish in the brook and in some murky pools - but none of them have shells, as far as I know, so I leave artifacts turned off.

However, during my second winter, I noticed a weird thing: my expedition leader had a positive thought about giving water to one of my miners - there have been no mining accidents and there are 0 combat protocols or other violent incidents I remember. The miner also seems well and everything... There had been unicorns on the map earlier, but they hadn't caused any trouble as far as I know, so I am really wondering about that one.

The only other caveat is that the brook doesn't freeze during winter, which makes things kind of complicated...

Deathworks

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: June 21, 2010, 03:34:49 am »

Hey Urist, want some water?
No, I'm fine.
*SPLASH*

Likost McPrankdwarf has given someone water recently.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: June 21, 2010, 07:13:12 am »

working on propagating more seeds of various types, I need more types of booze than Just Wine. they're starting to get sick of it.

*Mayor facepalms*

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: June 21, 2010, 07:23:14 am »

YES! Phase 1 digging was completed after nearly a full year in-game (18 days short) and 38 real-time hours, and left me with 218,577 more stone than I started with. The stone in question was ice, which meant no boiling it all away with raw editry afterwards. I figured I'd spend a few days dumping it all into a magma pit, until I wondered what kind of tile information ice left behind. So I turned on temperature again and flash melted the whole thing in one go! I have 218,577 puddles of water now, but all my dwarves rather than just the miners can clean it up simply by running over it (essentially), so this'll take maybe a few hours. Then I can start phase 2! :D

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3835 on: June 21, 2010, 08:02:34 am »

After an epic battle between my military and multiple kobold and goblin ambushes arriving at me front gates at the same time, I saw a message that my military commander had become attached to his masterwork steel shield.  The dwarf in question among his other injuries is missing the thumb on his left hand.  This makes me wonder if they mean it literally when they say he's attached to the shield, like they just welded it onto his arm or something.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: June 21, 2010, 09:10:45 am »

Still trying to figure out what is up with these S's and V's
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My First birth! for the first time ever, I'm joyful to see babies.

Honoredsalve, you're so different from immigrant forts...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:40:41 am by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: June 21, 2010, 09:42:24 am »

I breached the caverns and established a tiny farm for the purpose of brewing. I'm not going to pay much attention to it thought, since I"m already getting enough food (and shells) from fishing. Also, I'm surprised a novice axedwarf can beat an elephant in one vs one combat.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: June 21, 2010, 09:49:51 am »

armok protect....

the river just thawed again, Annihilating my airlock and blasting through the hatch I'd installed in the riverbed.

My farms are now completely submerged, and there's no way I can seal the river off and drain it.

looks like I need to make part of my tree farm arable.

My Gods Honoredsalve has high pressure.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:51:29 am by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: June 21, 2010, 10:21:09 am »

so many cave-ins...

One highly incompetent medical dwarf...