Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102550 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3810 on: June 20, 2010, 02:39:22 am »

DAMNIT! It didn't work! The geography was entirely different from one site to another, and I definitely didn't see the end of my magmatuct...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: June 20, 2010, 02:52:59 am »

My new 31.08 fort is going extremely well, except the booze stockpile is emptying exceedingly quickly...

Does anyone know how much drink 1 plant will get, or if it's random depending on your brewers skill?

It's 5 times the number of plants in the stack.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: June 20, 2010, 03:15:22 am »

My new 31.08 fort is going extremely well, except the booze stockpile is emptying exceedingly quickly...

Does anyone know how much drink 1 plant will get, or if it's random depending on your brewers skill?

It's 5 times the number of plants in the stack.

Thanks - that's strange though, it didn't seem to be that many... oh well.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: June 20, 2010, 06:37:56 am »

After about fifteen hours of running mining operations I've concluded that I'm going to have to leave DF running for a total of 56-60 hours to get all this stone cleared. Then I need to dump the 240~275k ice and then I can channel out the up/down stairs. Hopefully I'll be done within a week.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: June 20, 2010, 08:29:42 am »

Under siege, so I closed the doors and decided to wait it out.  Good-sized siege, too...  Trolls, goblins, some of them mounts; probably three groups in total.

Mid-way through the siege, a titan shows up - a humanoid made of opal with a couple tails.

The titan attacks the goblins, massive bloodshed ensues.

The siege is broken, the few remaining survivors run for their lives.

The titan has lost its entire upper body.  He's just a couple legs wandering around the countryside.  He's no longer attacking anyone, but my dwarves still run in fear whenever he wanders by.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: June 20, 2010, 08:33:31 am »

Under siege, so I closed the doors and decided to wait it out.  Good-sized siege, too...  Trolls, goblins, some of them mounts; probably three groups in total.

Mid-way through the siege, a titan shows up - a humanoid made of opal with a couple tails.

The titan has lost its entire upper body.  He's just a couple legs wandering around the countryside.  He's no longer attacking anyone, but my dwarves still run in fear whenever he wanders by.

So... is this titan a creature that did not require a head? does it think with another part, perhaps? or is this the fabled ass demon in disguise?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: June 20, 2010, 10:04:39 am »

Did it still have its hips?

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: June 20, 2010, 11:32:57 am »

I set the announcements so that nothing would pause the game, and went to sleep with Lightlances running. Everything was sealed up... what could happen? When I got up, I found out it's the year 1068, and the population has risen to 45, from 16. The first children of the fortress have matured, although there were no new couples I could find. Three artifacts had been made, and there was only one issue.

We were out of booze. Dwarves were drinking from the well, and still happy enough, but booze makes them go round. Up above, on the surface world, were the wrecks of a dozen caravans savaged by the kobolds and goblins. It would be easy, I thought, to pull out one of the sealing walls and venture up, and take everything back down.

The kobolds and goblins both set on us immediately, shooting down the first child to leave the fortress doors. By the time the dwarves realized anything was wrong, it was too late, and a dozen armed and armored enemies were inside the fort. Having just caged all the war dogs, we were nearly defenseless. A few war dogs were still running free, bow goblin bows made short work of them. Blood and death and severed limbs filled the halls as the ambush parties rampaged through the fortress, leaving no one alive.

Well. Almost no one. Across the fortress, the leader of the expedition was mining, expanding our stockpiles. The goblins crippled her and left her unconscious as they searched for better targets, but they never returned to finish the job. They left, no doubt in search of other places to plunder, leaving leaving Adil Wheelscurled, expedition leader, legendary planter, to starve to death in the dirt.

And so ends Lightlances. Time to get the new version I guess.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Stik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: June 20, 2010, 12:00:00 pm »

THE THAW.

WE ARE SAVED.

Praise be to the gods.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
as of right now, Much to do still

Edit: went to irrigate my farm chamber:

HOLY %#&*! an 11X13 room filled to 7/7 INSTANTLY  :o

on the plus side there's no way in hell anything is getting to my fortress.

Wow... either i'm over doing it with putting 3x3 bedrooms or your a ripoff xD

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: June 20, 2010, 12:05:21 pm »

THE THAW.

WE ARE SAVED.

Praise be to the gods.

I'll be giving them real bedrooms eventually, to start with I just needed them to get everything below the surface post haste before it thawed out and drowned everyone. Most of those bedrooms even have doors now!

My tree farm is also underway.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 12:09:58 pm by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: June 20, 2010, 12:44:12 pm »

THE THAW.

WE ARE SAVED.

Praise be to the gods.

I'll be giving them real bedrooms eventually, to start with I just needed them to get everything below the surface post haste before it thawed out and drowned everyone. Most of those bedrooms even have doors now!

My tree farm is also underway.

Bedrooms are pretty low on what I consider to be necessary in my fortresses. I just dig one large room, throw a few beds in, and have the dwarves sleep there for years. It doesn't bother them to much. I feel like making them their own personal rooms would waste to much time and stone at the beginning.

Also I just genned a new world for my fortress. I was looking at legends and I noticed there's a Kraken called "the leather hide". Weird name.

Now I just need to decide which ocean to build my fort on.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3821 on: June 20, 2010, 01:41:30 pm »

There's a large hill on the Eastern side of my map.

Its presence has been annoying me very much, since I have to switch my Z levels around just to get a view of what's happening.

Never again.

I am destroying this hill.

EDIT:

I don't think there were any animals or dwarves on or under the hill when I ordered the lever pulled.
I hope there are.. XD

« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:10:25 pm by madk »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: June 20, 2010, 02:13:45 pm »

Well, I've unleashed horrible spoilerific Fun. And the local wildlife has killed more of the damn things than my soldiers did. Very unhappy.

Also wondering just how they got into the caverns.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3823 on: June 20, 2010, 02:16:23 pm »

:o

My metalworker got possessed and made a ring worth 29k Urist. It's shiny and menaces with the leather of various creatures that I bought off the human caravan a couple seasons ago for no reason in particular. I do not regret.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: June 20, 2010, 02:32:03 pm »

Well the settlement of Galleypunches has been founded on a tropical ocean. One thing I immediately noticed upon embark was that, despit the information given to me on the post embark screen, there were plenty of trees to be found. So I won't have to be to dependent on the caverns. I'm still going to tunnel into the early since I don't want to set up an irrigation system (at least not right now).

I also found a good location for my fortress right away. There is a cliff wall that connects directly to the ocean, with no shore in between the two like in most areas. This means I can connect my fortress to the underground without needing to touch the surface. So I'll build my entrance around that and then just use a drawbridge for surface access for trade caravans.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 3842