Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108616 times)

Nakanja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2880 on: May 15, 2010, 09:18:02 am »

I've got some forgotten beast extract trouble that's making my fort a mess.  It doesn't seem too harmful; it causes injuries but they heal quickly, but lots of vomiting.  Children and pets seem especially susceptible.  I've tried drastic measures like throwing infected animals into the garbage masher and making all dwarves do nothing but clean for awhile, but it keeps coming back.  The vomit just makes more area to clean and they won't prioritize taking care of the source first.  I'm trying a large shower room to get the dwarves clean so hopefully they'll stop tracking it around.

An herbalist that's been resting since the early days of the fort got possessed and managed to drag himself down to the workshops.  I thought it might help him recover, but he asked for shells.  So he's just trading being stuck in the hospital for being stuck in the craftsdwarf's workshop maddwarf's asylum.

Also had some more forgotten beasts that just wouldn't die, so I had to wall off the caverns.  There's an ash blob (with a shell! I want it!) and some other thing that seems to have wandered off the map.  I've got a ring of granite walls around one of the caverns so they can still harvest tunnel tubes and whatnot.  The militia commander held the beast off until the drawbridge in the wall was ready and then ran for it.  The second cavern I gave up on entirely and sealed it with a wall of silver.  Now maybe cavern critters will stop trashing my magma smelters.

I haven't been able to get any baron, but I got my throne room with decorated adamantine throne and royal chambers ready anyway.  The political system must be confusing.  Three mayors, one of which is also the captain of the guard.  No king, but with the adamantine extractor using the throne room and living in the royal bedroom until a king appears.  At least the mayors are easy to please.  They only ask for catapult parts and bucklers.  Except for one mandate that I missed somehow and an engineer got thrown in prison.  He managed to last until the day he was released, and then died of thirst on top of the beer barrel.

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: May 15, 2010, 11:33:07 am »

So my entire fortress is centered around a center chamber kind of like a missile silo with a spiral staircase circling the outer wall.  In the center is a waterfall spraying mist onto all the stairs.

The silo starts at ground level and goes all the way to the caverns.  There is no access to the cavern unless you can fly.  Well I got a badass forgotten beast that flew right up through the central waterfall... I sent my army to battle the beast as best they could from the stairs.  The beast hovered in and out of the waterfall just out of range shooting spikes at my men.  When it did come in close enough the axedwarves swung at it repeatedly, but the beast grabbed several of them and threw them down through the many z-levels into my garbage pits and the end of the waterfall.  While the beast was tearing the hand off of a tanner who was simply using the spiral stairs in the silo (the only way to move about the fort) my axe dwarves chopped of the wings of the beast and it fell down through the falls to join my dead and dying men at the cavern floor in the garbage dump.

Miasma has been rising up through the central silo for several months...  But the waterfall has been cleaning the blood of the spiral stairs.

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: May 15, 2010, 02:22:34 pm »

A waterfall to clean blood? sounds handy.

I'm building a fort over a river and as I was digging a shaft to bring water down to the lower levels i hit the first cavern after about 10 lvls, and found it entirely empty space, the entire caverns are open, with only a few ramps up and down, all the way down about 90 levels and into the magma sea.
It semmed like a good enough spot to throw victims from the surface all the way down into the magma, so I put some walls around it and put a hatch on top. Lots of fun when killing mandrils and cats, even more fun when the first forgotten beast showed up. A flycather or something, flew up the shaft, smashed the hatch, then a few doors before getting hacked repeatedly in the head by my for some reason dual wielding, axedorf.
The beast never killed a single soul, because he seemed to have some troubly figuring out my less than effecient hallways :)

Now i'm going to see what happens when I put a floodgate between the river and that magma sea...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: May 15, 2010, 03:23:10 pm »

Another crash as I was fiddling with a weapon rack. Hadn't saved in two hours, made a 5 story tower, got two migrant waves, a mood, a few masterworks, bla bla bla.

I swear, I might just quit trying to play until this is fixed.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: May 15, 2010, 03:48:51 pm »

Another crash as I was fiddling with a weapon rack. Hadn't saved in two hours, made a 5 story tower, got two migrant waves, a mood, a few masterworks, bla bla bla.

I swear, I might just quit trying to play until this is fixed.
Maybe you could enable seasonal saves next time?

Or (though I know how vexing this may be) you could do some manual saves every now and then (after a successful mood seems just about the right time)!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: May 15, 2010, 05:25:35 pm »

I guess Ill go ahead and turn on seasonals, no harm done by a breif freeze every 20 mins or so, I suppose. As with the manuals, it would be a hell of a lot more tempting if I could do so without having to exit the game.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: May 15, 2010, 05:30:21 pm »

I've had a dyer go into a mood. He demanded several things. Among those, he asked for shells. I do not have shells. He went beserk. Now, he isn't living up to his profession.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Pheonix_RE

• Bay Watcher
  • (sic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: May 15, 2010, 05:31:39 pm »

My largest fort finally got its first goblin ambush. Three dorfs died (two Recruits and one hunter), but once they got inside the fort they were pathetic. One of the last two gobbos chased my High Master Engraver into the single-tile-wide exploratory mining area (which was just a line weaving through the rock, just to try and find a Bituminous Coal vein) - my Engraver, unarmed and unarmored and more-or-less untrained in the ways of war, went and killed the wrestler, coming out with only insignificant wounds. Related, I narrowly averted mass self-inflicted death when I realized that my ballistas were still set to Fire at Will.
A ban on hatch covers was lifted and a mandate for anvils was fulfilled. A Bituminous Coal vein was found, which means that I won't have to burn down a forest just to get a decent metal-based industry going.
Also I'm fresh out of alcohol again in this fort - in an attempt to get more barrels free, I made all the fields fallow.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: May 15, 2010, 06:02:11 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how to get all my dwarves inside without doing something ridiculous that involves mass-burrow assigning.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: May 15, 2010, 06:10:24 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how to get all my dwarves inside without doing something ridiculous that involves mass-burrow assigning.

make a burrow where you want them to go, go into the military screen, go to [A]lerts, make a new alert, set that burrow as the only one active during  that alert, and then whenever you activate that alert all your dwarves will go into that burrow.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: May 15, 2010, 06:12:25 pm »

Make the burrow where you want them to go, then go into the military (m) screen, and then the alerts (a) screen, then you just highlight the burrow you want and hit enter, that tells all civilians to stay the hell inside that burrow.

EDIT CURSES!!!

Edit with a real post now, since something happened and I'm still the last person to have posted.

It was horrible.  A massive puppy slaughter.  Goblins ambushed my fortress, my military is only half prepared, wearing only iron breastplates and leather everywhere else.  At least their weapons are adamantine. 

But that isn't what causes the slaughter, my killing hall is only half done.  My design is a 3 wide hallway with locked hatches flanking each side.  My melee military opens those hatches and charges out of the ramped rooms underneath, slaughtering everything in the hallway, instantly going from out of sight to melee range in 1 move.  But half of the hatches aren't built, and the military goes through the killing hall itself to get into their stations, instead of the access tunnels.  The enemy is marksgoblins but enough of the hatches are in place to still protect the melees for an ambush.

Despite the inadvisable route, the military makes it into the channels on each side of the hall just before the marksgobs get in range.  Unfortunately the war dog.  The mother of every single dog in the fortress is assigned to the militia commander, and follows her master into the channel.

Her veritable hoard of puppies however, aren't so lucky.  The goblins open fire, painting the white limestone walls and floors of 'Whitefortress' red with puppy blood.  The goblins ACTUALLY RUN OUT OF AMMO and there are still puppies bleeding out in the hallway.  In anger at the loss of so much food innocent life. My military charges out of the hatches and turn the now defenseless goblins into kibble for the survivors.

I need to complete my hallways of goblin genocide earlier in the year...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:02:12 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: May 15, 2010, 10:36:53 pm »

Did you just affix the adjective horrible to mass loss of life? And you call yourself a dwarf? Pah.

So, my fortress. It was constructed in the dwarf occupied ruins of a human town. I carved out an alcove in the hillside; moated myself off from my open air-dwelling kin.
A couple years after we struck the earth, a goblin ambush comes. About 10 goblins, armed with iron axes and swords, come out of nowhere. I order all my dwarves inside and raise the drawbridge, cutting myself off (Just realized, that's raising bridge, gotta fix that later.) from the rest of my embark point. The goblins proceed to massacre the entire dwarf village. Every single dwarf. And there's still the full 10 goblins.

I sigh. Run a couple alternate universes with my meager pile of cage traps and 3 dwarf millitary, with predictably Fun results. So I decide to dig in and wait it out.

Winter hits. They're still there.
Spring hits. They're still there, along with about 10 new dwarf corpses. Those poor migrants....
Summer hits. I give in and prepare a cage trap filled hallway. Run out of cages, deconstruct some at the main entrance to cover it. Finish the hall. Open it up, and lock down the fort in preparation.

They aren't there anymore

Righto, I'll begin deforesting again now.

Also, my fort has a farmer/smelter with a broken left hand, left upper arm, and right shoulder. He works happily in the fields and smelters. Somehow.)

EDIT: Some 5 minutes later, another ambush comes. I can only hope my carpenter can stay ahead long enough to reach the trapped corridor.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:42:33 pm by Ethereal.Frog »
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Pheonix_RE

• Bay Watcher
  • (sic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: May 16, 2010, 12:01:52 am »

Another goblins ambush - this time only a fisherdwarf died (or at least he's the only one that I know died), and once the gobbos hit the stone fall traps they just kinda gave up.
A fey mood produced a cruddy gem scepter (only $4800 - why couldn't a higher-value gem have been picked?), but at least I got a nice legendary gemdwarf out of it.
Booze levels are low, but there are now more than enough barrels to satisfy demand.
Of much more importance, I got a DM along with my most recent immigrant wave - as of now I am setting up her rooms and making them of an acceptable quality. My fortress is now considered a town, and thus could be my largest one to date.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2893 on: May 16, 2010, 12:20:29 am »

Trying to mine my way down the dungeons, but I hit a water only level. ARGH.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: May 16, 2010, 01:24:11 am »

I've decided to toy around with making a warship in drydock. Three of my embark dwarves like platinum (good thing I'm embarking to sedimentary) and one of my dwarves is a TRUE dwarf - Her preferences consist of <random shit> and menacing spikes.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 3842