Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108513 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2865 on: May 14, 2010, 07:52:43 pm »

Ugh, I have been forced to savescum several times now. Something always goes wrong. Most recently, I had five expert wrestler/fighter dwarves take out three crocs. The crocs won without a scratch. /exit.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: May 14, 2010, 08:18:18 pm »

A gorgeous 3.01.03 site with flux, black sand, and obsidian with plenty of tress and an Untamed Wilds on both biomes.  I'm looking forward to cranking out a ton of metal goods on this map as well as finally perfecting my fortress design to my tastes.   The dolomite layer in the mountain range biome also has some nice exposed hematite, limonite, and magnetite veins for future use...I'll wait until my miners are more experienced before carving those out, but we've got some nice resources in the pipeline.

I just wish the military was fixed so I can turn invaders back on...the things that wander on to my map on all levels are easy enough but the goblins maul us more often than not.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: May 14, 2010, 09:47:14 pm »

Ugh, I have been forced to savescum several times now. Something always goes wrong. Most recently, I had five expert wrestler/fighter dwarves take out three crocs. The crocs won without a scratch. /exit.

Fighting and wretling are both usless skills, you want to aim for armoured dwarves with weapon skills.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #2868 on: May 14, 2010, 09:52:28 pm »

Is it me or that "blood for the blood god" meme is getting awfully old and boring? Come on, it is not even funny...  ::)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: May 14, 2010, 10:03:53 pm »

Is it me or that "blood for the blood god" meme is getting awfully old and boring? Come on, it is not even funny...  ::)

Maybe it is old and boring. But it's tradition. And dwarven tradition is not to be trifled with.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: May 14, 2010, 10:20:01 pm »

I started a fort on an elven encampment and punched through an aquifer(into which I had planned to collapse the damn hippies) with the cave-in method to get at some glorious stone, leaving the hole uncovered all the while.
Turns out, I forgot that I had turned on the Orc mod. The elves saved me from the orcs the first year, mostly died in the second(but I had walled up by then, so I was safe). Now, it's the third year, and my dwarves are shitting their pants because there are four pages of orcs standing around the hole I collapsed to make the main stairwell.

Oops.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: May 14, 2010, 11:35:51 pm »

Fighting and wretling are both usless skills, you want to aim for armoured dwarves with weapon skills.

Last time I tried to get an answer as to how to get dwarves to train with weapons...

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: May 15, 2010, 01:24:59 am »

W

I

K

I

It's not perfect, but the info is there and someone without mental disability should be able to find it on their own.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: May 15, 2010, 02:34:03 am »

Or place a training dummy. Or train them on animals. They cannot bite through metal armor.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mr. Accident

• Bay Watcher
  • No playing in the crater.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: May 15, 2010, 02:40:14 am »

Yow. The fate of my most recent fortress, Trumpetfatal, was (in pretty much every sense of the word) a tragedy. It began badly and ended badly but had a very touching and hopeful part in the middle.

It all began when the dwarves decided to embark on top of a volcano.

Apparently they weren't watching where they were going while pushing the wagon up those cliffs. Three of the team immediately plunged into the magma and died. A fourth apparently fell backwards off the cliff and broke most of his bones. So right off the bat I was down to three dwarves. Still, things weren't hopeless, right? I still had a couple of miners, and enough of the food and booze to (maybe) last until the first caravan. And the map I'd stumbled onto was really cool; there was a tall spur of land across a deep gorge just north of the volcano, and I decided I would build a bridge across to it and establish the first halls of Trumpetfatal there.

But the stress of the initial embarkstrophe proved too much for one of the remaining dwarves. He snapped, and went off into the valley to die alone. Okay, two dwarves left. More food for them. But wait! What's this?

Against overwhelming odds, in the bitterest of circumstances, love finds a way! Driven together by adversity, these two have a real chance to struggle through, to survive, to build a new chapter of dwarven history together. So beautiful! *sniffle*

Well, we all know young love doesn't last forever. I'd just managed to carve out the food storage room and a couple of workshops when the stress became too much and Tholtig went berserk.

The young lovers died with their pickaxes embedded in each other's faces, and that was the end of Trumpetfatal.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: May 15, 2010, 02:57:47 am »

That's freaky.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: May 15, 2010, 03:11:36 am »

That's awesome.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2877 on: May 15, 2010, 03:16:04 am »

And please tell me the image of the bed was in faint yellow diamond...

Alas, no. 'Twas a black pyropes.

By the way, Mr. Accident, quite an entertaining story.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: May 15, 2010, 03:17:42 am »

Helmedkin became a Barony and then my Baron died of thirst within the first year. I'm still not sure exactly what happened. He wasn't working, he wasn't injured as far as I know and he was only one floor above the booze stockpile. He just sort of died in the hallway.

Also found out that walling off the caves can't stop Forgotten Beasts. They just appear on the map edge and any wall segment there vanishes. Oh well. Thankfully the only one that's come so far was a fire breathing one-eyed pelican who was kind enough to stand perfectly still and not breath any fire or attempt any counter attacks while my axelords hacked off its wings, legs and head. Must've been a retarded pelican. Walls do stop ordinary creatures from appearing though which saves me a lot of GCS related trouble.

I've expanded my walls further out and lined the openings with weapon traps filled with all the weapons invaders have left behind. Managed to kill both prongs of an ambush with weapons traps before I even knew they were there. Only found out about them when I saw their belongings lying on the ground. Their weapons were added to even more weapon traps.

And now I'm making a mega construction from ice blocks just for the hell of it.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2879 on: May 15, 2010, 04:01:09 am »

Noooooo, DF just crashed! D:

Oh well I had some garbage relocation problems anyway so this crash just gives me an opportunity to re-think my 1000+ silk socks disposal strategy.

edit:
Aaaand instead of an ambush I got before crash, after re-load I got siege. Last one was on 15th Timber, this is on 15th Obsidian.

Current count:
15 speargoblins
15 crossbowgoblins
15 axegoblins
15 bowgoblins
2 goblin macelords
2 goblin hammerlords
trolls:
- furnace operator
- weaponsmith
- 2 stonecrafters
- pump operator
- 2 normal

Not bad, them greenskins. There is much fun to be had, he he he.

edit:
Oh and there is the 5th child of the Fort roughly just 8 urists away from the first goblin, crossbowgoblin. They are on a different z-levels so they do not see eachother...yet.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 04:31:50 am by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 3842