Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110805 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1830 on: March 22, 2010, 02:06:37 pm »

Kid = 2/3 of creature in terms of fat, meat, bones and size.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: March 22, 2010, 02:08:29 pm »

No mules, which makes sense unless you had donkeys around right?

actually, right now mules-from-horses isn't implemented. Mules are simply a non breeding (and, incidentally, immortal) species.

Is there anyway to get rid of them without just assigning him a dig task in the  lava room and having him die?

Best plan is to create or requisition a cage, then uild it, then in the [q] menu assign all the baby horsies to it. If you want the female horses to not give birth to more baby horsies, then stick them in the cage as well (prevents breeding). Incidentally, this will also speed the game up a bit since all those critters will stop their infernal pathfinding.

Will cows provide more meat etc then calf's? Is it worth while to let them grow in the cage?

Adults provide more meat and bones than the juveniles, but it isn't really worth it (IMHO) until you get to things like cows, camels, and elephants. With Cats, kill 'em as kittens, the 1 more meat is not worth the headache.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: March 22, 2010, 05:51:31 pm »

made a ruin powered water fall on top of my failed* breach of the aqua.
found out that the 90% of the animal military hate having their kids butchered.
yet they don't mind having a dwarven trader burn to death(died in the entrance).
this maybe a better time to test out the revive ruins and maybe try to start a meat factory with regenerating meats! that or cause a animal based riot and a silly way to end a fort.

*failed as in I had found out the cave already passed the two aquifer and all I needed to do is dig down.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: March 22, 2010, 06:10:06 pm »

Thanks!
I have most of my animals in cages to control growth, can I put pets in cages? I didn't think I could. Piece of cake if I can.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #1834 on: March 22, 2010, 07:13:51 pm »

You might remember my dwarves went and randomly named several of the batmen in my chasm for no apparent reason.

The chasm is now cleared except for about 10 batmen.  They just went and named the rest of them.

It's like they have their own civ!  I might hack it and make them part of mine (or just catch them all in cages).
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: March 23, 2010, 12:17:46 am »

Weaver went mad from no access to cave spider silk for a mood in one of my dracon fortresses.  No big loss, I already have enough weavers.

Here's what happens when I follow a particular fortress resident too closely in a creative mood when I should be asleep.

After the guards stationed near the workshop noticed that she would be no threat to anyone they unlocked the door and let her go about her final days as she wishes.  She was a recent migrant, and hadn't made anything more than a passing acquaintance.  And it was a fortress of more than 200 Dracon so the fortress basically went about it's business unaffected.  She walked through the halls babbling and went down the stairs to the main hall dancing around a support drooling for a little while before she wandered over to an idle peasant and began crawling around at his feet.

The peasant, disturbed by this, eventually figured that that rope reed bracelet on the other side of the hall really needed to be moved to a stockpile and the weaver payed no mind to the peasant leaving continuing crawling around the hall floor for some time after.

Then in a fit of inspiration she climbed the stairs to the top floor of the main hall and jumped off. she fell 6 z levels and somehow failed utterly to off herself.  Ending up only with mangled left and right arms, right leg, a busted up wing, and tail, no injuries at all to anything even remotely vital.  How she managed to injure all those limbs in one fall was anybody's guess, nobody in the hall was paying attention.

After the amazing dive into solid rock she left her puddle of blood to be cleaned by one of the homeless idlers desperate for 5 coins, and started taking off articles of clothing on top of a decorative support pillar.  I imagine in some strange, bloody and mangled striptease.  She dropped a sandal and her cap before she passed out putting the spectacle to a quick end.

Waking up every so often she climbed up the hall stairs again, but instead of crawling off the side again she was heading towards the residential areas and the party hall babbling incoherently and drooling the whole way.  Nobody paying her any heed as she crawled down the heavily trafficked hallway and green glass bridge, only occasionally acknowledging her presence by stepping over her.  Every day she had made a little more progress towards the party hall.  As she passed the fortress barracks the military occasionally made bets on how many lengths she would travel overnight, collecting when the military returned for morning sparring and archery practice.

But she didn't care about any of that, she could see the party hall, and the statue in the middle of it.  The artifact statue looked impressive, despite being made of the valuable, but dull looking starmetal.  But again that didn't matter, even from here, from the other side of the bridge leading to the hall she could see it.  A spider.  A small little spider, not even a cave spider, a simple unknown surface spider no bigger than a pinky claw, of an unknown species had made a web on the statue.  The web would be destroyed from time to time, but the spider always remade it.  That is what she was after, the wonderful silk.

Finally she had reached the statue, and she climbed up using her one good arm and grabbed at the web.  The spider ran and hid inside the crevices of the statue as she grabbed the silk.  She had it, she could finally finish her dream!

Larikc Ulharunsioothrikc, Weaver has died from thirst.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #1836 on: March 23, 2010, 01:21:34 am »

Finally got my fort built up to the point where the Queen showed up with full retinue; except no sign of a consort, which I assume means he died earlier. I then made my first real attempt at dealing with HFS. I was smart enough to dig a separate passage straight down through the adamantine, so the HFS couldn't just pour into the main fort, but I then non-smartly gave my dwarves reasons to go into that passage (collecting mining remnants), and so when the pit was breached, there were way too many non-military folks milling around down there. The SoFs (of course) came out and started throwing fireballs. A lot of people died. In the end, my military was powerful enough to return the favor, but now I've got tantrums brewing, my mayor is among the injured so she can't meet with people, and it's very possible that some folks are still wandering around on fire...
Still, it's been a good fort built on a rich site, and there are worse ways to end it all. Looking forward to the new version.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: March 23, 2010, 11:23:33 am »

So the Baron and his entourage arrive, and looking them over I see the Baroness Consort has this in her profile:

"She is ruled by irresistible cravings and urges."

Oh dear.  Mandate hell is surely upon me.  (or at least a shiny new lever)
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: March 23, 2010, 12:53:38 pm »

I've decided to scrap most of my green glass ziggurat idea since now that all of my glassmakers are legendary, its requiring ALOT of micromanagement and a shitload of key clicking. I should have enough green glass blocks to extend the stairwell almost all the way up to the max z-level and I've decided to just use obsidian for the walls inside it.

I don't think I'll do another pure green glass megaproject again, WAY TOO FRIGGIN MUCH MICROMANAGEMENT! GAAAHH!!.

If there were better ways to automize it or macros to set it up, sure, but otherwise.....

Edit: Although, in hindsight I could have gone with a base smaller than 141x141.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:29:48 pm by smjjames »

Letrange

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: March 23, 2010, 02:22:31 pm »

New to DF.  First post.  I checked my hope in at the door.

I have finally gotten a fort to last long enough to get a darned moat finished (and filled).  My plans are to get some industries up and running.  I've located a nice field of Magnetite or two (although one is only partially usable due to it's going thru my wet moat level) and if I can find a flux layer I'll be set.  It's always interesting when you get no immigrants, no immigrants, no immigrants, you need a sheriff.  Good thing I've had enough restarts to observe the pattern and although I didn't have enough furniture on hand at least I had dug out sufficient rooms to house everyone.

Now that most of the heavy hauling is over it'll be time to knock some sense into my industry and work the walls of my above ground fortifications higher.

As an aside I've figured out a decent spot for the refuse pile.  I tend to carve out a "farm bunker" out of the local soil before heading down into the rock layers.  Since I tend to carve around this farm bunker so that it becomes like a "dirt building" and I have a central staircase to one side of it (open air central staircase - I'm hoping to avoid cave adaption), I simply put the refuse pile above the farms on their "roof".  This is why I'll need to extend the vertical walls around the fort so some sniping goblin on the nearby hilltop (only 2z levels higher) can't see in.  So far the fort is nicely spread out over (gimi a sec - G, W1, W2, S1, S2, H, Res1, Res2) 8 counting the ground floor.  The central core is nice and compact with all squares accessible from about 14 steps from the central core. The main hall level and lower will end up spreading out more as population grows.

Interesting ends to previous forts:

the one before this one:  "oops with a water powered pump" - lesson learned: dont' try to pump a brook into a channel to your moat if the brook itself can't supply enough water (it was evaporating 1/4 of the way around the moat).  If you do so - put a switch on the gear connecting the water weal to the pump... BEFORE you do the final water wheel installation...

One of my previous ones:  Got to the dig the moat stage but wasn't finding any metal ores (heck I had setup in a swamp - without an aquifer - the first 4-5 layers were soil as I recall) then decided to see what would happen if I stopped micromanaging.  The population ballooned up to above 105 dwarfs before the inevitable tantrum spiral killed off most of the dwarfs (I was noticing a lot of fell moods towards the end)  It was down to 12 dwarfs 6 of whom were children when the final goblin siege did it in.  Actually went to check it out in adventurer mode as there had been some rather interesting items and carvings before I decided to let it go to seed.  Don't ask about the bed with the decoration of two donkeys in leather on it.  I try not to.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #1840 on: March 23, 2010, 06:34:16 pm »

Hey, look, it's this fortress's first siege!

Wait a minute...

lolohcrap
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: March 23, 2010, 07:09:46 pm »

Currently I am finding inventive ways of dealing with the dreaded elf swarms outside of my fort. My current plan involves huge amounts of water.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: March 23, 2010, 07:12:19 pm »

IDEA: a shrine/temple dedicated to the deities my dwarves worship. So far I've seen:
  • Kovest Bridgejade the Silver of Merchants, appearing as a male dwarf, associated with trade and wealth
  • Aban, appearing as a male dwarf, associated with rebirth, creation, crafts, metals, minerals and jewels
  • Zenon, appearing as a male dwarf, associated with hunting
  • Enshal the Simple Swamps, appearing as a male dwarf, associated with plants, animals and silence
  • Rithzam, appearing as a male dwarf, associated with mountains and fortresses
  • Zuglar the Moistness of submerging, appearing as a female dwarf, associated with water
  • Angzak, appearing as a male dwarf, associated with lies and trickery
  • Amug, appearing as a female dwarf, associated with travelers and dreams.

Each temple will be decorated according to their spheres. If that is hard or imposible, it's based on the names. I've given it a bit of thought, and already have gotten some ideas for some temples:
  • Kovest's one will have a precious metal floor, and heaps of forbidden coins, most likely both will be made of silver;
  • Aban's will have all artefact crafts and jewellery strewn about;
  • Enshal's is going to contain the biggest animals I can find on chain;
  • Zuglar's will hold a pond, a fountain and a pool.

As for Zenon, Rithzam, Angzak and Amug their temples, I have no idea yet. A quick glance at the language file reveals that their names respectively mean: Viper, Bulwark, Terror and Fog. Maybe I'll give Zenon a crossbow and a corpse or two and Amug a waterfall (which provides 'fog'). But for the other two I have no idea. Yours are always welcome!
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: March 23, 2010, 11:37:39 pm »

IDEA: a shrine/temple dedicated to the deities my dwarves worship. So far I've seen:
  • Kovest Bridgejade the Silver of Merchants, appearing as a male dwarf, associated with trade and wealth
  • Aban, appearing as a male dwarf, associated with rebirth, creation, crafts, metals, minerals and jewels
  • Enshal the Simple Swamps, appearing as a male dwarf, associated with plants, animals and silence
  • Zuglar the Moistness of submerging, appearing as a female dwarf, associated with water

Each temple will be decorated according to their spheres. If that is hard or imposible, it's based on the names. I've given it a bit of thought, and already have gotten some ideas for some temples:
  • Kovest's one will have a precious metal floor, and heaps of forbidden coins, most likely both will be made of silver;

As for Zenon, Rithzam, Angzak and Amug their temples, I have no idea yet. A quick glance at the language file reveals that their names respectively mean: Viper, Bulwark, Terror and Fog. Maybe I'll give Zenon a crossbow and a corpse or two and Amug a waterfall (which provides 'fog'). But for the other two I have no idea. Yours are always welcome!

Since Amug is associated with travelers and dreams, maybe surround the waterfall with free beds  (Available to anyone who happens to be "traveling by").  Also, maybe some fanciful creatures can be caged in there.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: March 23, 2010, 11:49:20 pm »

Since Amug is associated with travelers and dreams, maybe surround the waterfall with free beds  (Available to anyone who happens to be "traveling by").  Also, maybe some fanciful creatures can be caged in there.

snakes. you gotta have snakes for the snake-god.
perhaps also for the terror god. You could have every detestible vermin in there. And coffins.
As for Bulwark: Siege Engines and Fortifications (and then a bolt-recapture channel). if you set it up right, it could be your ultra-safe siege-engine training ground.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 3842