Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110806 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1800 on: March 20, 2010, 11:12:32 am »

went back to an old heavily util-modded fort that had cave swallowmen and a giant working for me.
so far the 6 members of the elite special forces are disbanded and being replace by a group lead by 2 wagon-men(not breeded just DC swap to human which gives them a silly wooden name like 'oak' miner ) and a bunch of wild animals.
hopefully I can break through the 2 level aqua. and start building a wall around the cave. all this for an experiment on 'if we can save a fort and go into it under adventure mode with out abandoning( through the help of mods) can I use this to send armies to towns and siege them?'
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: March 20, 2010, 12:33:22 pm »

I've butchered most of my animals. I had about 175, and now am down to 52. Also, I have a breeding pair of stegosaurusses stegosauri. Erm... those dinosaurs with the spiky tail and plates on their backs. The elves have also been kind to me. They brought a cheetah, a mandrill, a bilou, a leopard and a siamang. But then again, I've been robbing them of what I wanted when they didn't bring anything interesting. Sometimes I gave them a marginal profit to make sure they bring something. In the meantime, my miners are digging the living quarters. Every level is divided in four, and each quarter hosts 16 bedrooms and one huge dining room which seats 16. I'm planning on making three such levels, which will house 3*4*16=192 dwarves.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: March 20, 2010, 01:55:03 pm »

I checked about how much I need to make the inside platform area and it turns out that I need a bit over 10,000 glass blocks. With masons its not too much of a problem, but with green glass blocks, I have to manage the rate of sandbagging. Especially now that I have my 16 legendary glassmakers working one row of five magma glass furnaces with the other five bieng worked by the four glassmakers that are still working their way to legendary.

Too bad doing the sandbagging doesn't result in any attribute boosts, although the fact that they are on top of each other in the sand collection zone may help.

NEWSFLASH: My countess gave birth to her second kid, a boy. Whatever helps against her mood swings anyway....

Boatmurdered

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: March 20, 2010, 02:37:55 pm »

My workers are butchering most of my 88 animals. I let the breeding get out of hand for 4 years, and its finally killing my FPS. I finished re-routing the brook, and we are now waiting for the waters to flood the moat.

Other then that, I think I've discovered something interesting about my mayor. Judging by what I see on the screen... she likes the female human diplomat. And an audience.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What's worse is her status is listed as "Sleeping".
I think this is where the DF-players-are-Hitler jokes go from being just jokes to still jokes but lose some of their irony.

Still. Someone has to open up a chain of McUrist's sooner or later.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: March 20, 2010, 05:48:34 pm »

Got a message about a kobold thief. It was on the very edge of the map, and it just stood there for a long time doing nothing. A few minutes later...
"A thief has stolen a Kaolinite Blocks!"
Huh. Then again, the only other more valuable thing in my fort at the time was a Chalk Block.

Also got a Elf caravan. Waited for the longest time for them to reach the depot. I looked on the unit list and saw one dead elf merchant and a dead two-humped camel. I couldn't see what might have killed them. It wasn't the titan, she's still just sitting calmy idle, a little ways to the north of the dead elf. I tried to make a high-traffic area around the titan to get the goods. It worked... on the way there. They ignored it on the way back.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #1805 on: March 20, 2010, 06:14:54 pm »

After painstakingly training dozens of immigrants up to "dabbling" in Armorsmithing and/or Blacksmithing, I was rewarded with an armorsmithing mood.

Operation: Generate unlimited steel is underway - I just need to capture an enemy in one of my cages.

...yay, an artifact steel high boot. ::) Now, that would be pretty useful if one of my dwarfs was Achilles...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: March 20, 2010, 07:48:57 pm »

Don't worry.  Knowing dwarves it would be fitted for the wrong foot.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: March 20, 2010, 10:45:04 pm »

So Urist McMagmadrop had finally decided to flood the top of the magma pipe using the aquifer. After flooding it he had rooms dug into and flooded some farms and a well that's one level below the rest of the submarine. He put all of the food into it and started a farm. He went with Urist Mchelpfulsidekick and they made a natural formation of rock to keep it from flooding and we channeled his ship into the abyss. We haven't heard from in a while but his submarine is self-sufficient so he might be alive...with children. It has been 90 years what should I do?and what probably happened? 

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: March 20, 2010, 11:41:49 pm »

I modded goblins so they won't ambush (it was beginning to piss me off...), so now they're trading with me instead of sieging.  So I built my first water trap on my depot, and hopefully I'll have goblin sieges within the year.

I also finally discovered my first ever vein of Adimantine!  (Un)fortunately, I read up on it ahead of time, so I took the necessary precautions, and I haven't had any Fun yet.  I'm preparing though, Fun will be had one way or the other >:D

On a related note, is it normal to have a huge drop in FPS when you discover the glowing pit?  I've never dropped below 80 FPS before.  I'm thinking it may be the invisible HFS setting fire to all the charcoal, as I've never had a forest fire or other such event to stress test.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:45:24 pm by Trigonous »
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: March 21, 2010, 01:20:32 am »

i just decided my fortress was too clutered with crap and THREW HALF MY ARTIFACTS INTO MAGMA. WHOO!!!    (dont do that)
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #1810 on: March 21, 2010, 06:19:15 am »

Aww crap, I hit the adamantine. Not terrible, but I wasn't planning on it.

Does anyone know how many wafers it takes to forge a stack of adamantine bolts, and how many bolts that gets you? If not, I guess I'll soon find out :P

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: March 21, 2010, 06:24:38 am »

I just got my cat killing trap set up so I can slowly ween my fort from all the pet kitties that have snuck in and spread their cuddles into every corner of my fort.

At first I was kind of sad that the kitties didn't bite it when I pulled the lever once.
Then it changed to joy when I realized I could set the lever pull to repeat and watch the kitties get slowly perforated to bits.

The quest to save my FPS has been 100% successful.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: March 21, 2010, 09:53:33 am »

Forging bolts out of adamantine is a waste. It doesn't make bolts that are especially more deadly than steel or iron bolts, and adamantine is a valuable limited resource.

You can find out how many wafers something takes in its RAW file. The [SIZE] tag will tell you. Making bolts of metal always makes 25 bolts.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: March 21, 2010, 01:21:50 pm »

Lost my first fort to FUN.
I had dug down from level ground and imediatly penetrated the roof of a magna pool.
wimpy fire guy killed that dwarf and then another dwarf killed him.
I removed the ramps that led down to the magma pool, and dug out of it and doored off the entrance.  Thought I was pretty secure but.
Fireman waited a season before he got tired of all the hammering in my just completed magma workshop and took down 4 of my other dwarves and then returned to the hot tub.
With two angry dwarves left I packed that one in.
 It was pretty promising too. Once I had sprung the magma pool I revealed the thing and there was gold, silver and iron every where.(I love the metal work crafts)
I started again, another flat level map. Had to scrape down to make my place, but it is going well.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: March 21, 2010, 02:33:55 pm »

Hunting down elephants. Hunting down, as in luring them into the cage traps. So I can have war elephants and war stegosauruses accompanying my army. Yes, you read that right war elephants and war stegosauruses. But it's not as easy as it sounds. The stegosauruses just wandered into the traps out of their own accord, but I need to herd the elephants into the traps. At the moment, I'm using two recruits risking their lives to capture the enormous beasts. While typing, I've succeeded in capturing a female. I hope she's pregnant, and will soon give birth to a male. But to be sure, I'll try and capture the three remaining elephants roaming the map. Because WAR ELEPHANTS!
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 3842